How has the Covid-19 virus affected your adventures?

• HTML tutorial

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Had to cancel the meet-up/Rally Point had scheduled for March 28th; venue I was looking to meet at postponed their event to August. Still waiting to hear if Expo West is going to happen; then even if it is still on not sure if I would be able to make the trip from NC with other states shutting down left and right.
If west is a no go you could try for the new mountain west. It's not until August.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Latest news release from BLM is their land is open to camp! Curious how Utah can close Federal Land??
I have that same question, but I don't know what extra power the state gets when declaring an emergency. One thing I am certain of however is I don't have the fuel range to skip refueling in town after exploring.

Here's the official moabcity site:

and here's one case of what can happen in public areas when folks think they're above suggestions they stay home:

Other areas aren't as organized in asking folks to stay away.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Last edited:

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Not to beat the drum, but some folks seem to think they're invincible.

A very real and potential scenario that can, AND HAS, happened: You might feel fine and go on your adventure. Think you're completely self-contained and will not have to interact with anyone on the way there and can practice social-distancing just fine out in the willow-wacks somewhere. You WILL be in close contact with those you go with and inevitably with some number of others you do not know.

What will you do when someone in your family or party starts getting feverish and you're 300 miles from home or 20 miles from pavement? Some that start getting sick will have to seek local treatment. All who have come into contact with that person should be quarantined at best.

I have two personal friends I care for a lot, both in their thirties who have fallen sick WAY faster than they thought possible. One in Colorado and one in Texas. Both after having been out around others just five days earlier because they thought, at their age, they were not at risk. One had to go to the hospital because she had trouble breathing and had a fever. She was told she likely has Covid-19 though could not be tested because they needed the tests for folks who are worse off. The other is sick at home with her parents, one of whom is now also sick.

There's a local doctor who has moved into the guest room above his garage so he doesn't compromise the safety and health of his family, because the local health system where he works is already seeing a spike in folks complaining of symptoms.

This was posted on a local group parent's thread in California:

View attachment 145326

You know what? It doesn't matter if you believe it or not, or think the rest of the world has gone mad but you haven't.

Don't be part of making things worse for others, for your family, or for yourself.

There are more stories like this coming out every day. Young people are getting very seriously ill with COVID-19... Our healthcare system in the US is not ready for this. And still, people are saying "I don't care, I'm gonna do what I want" like that's somehow a brave stance...

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler

and here's one case of what can happen in public areas when folks think they're above suggestions they stay home:

Cabin fever refers to the distressing claustrophobic irritability or restlessness experienced when a person, or group, is stuck at an isolated location or in confined quarters for an extended period of time.[1] A person may be referred to as stir-crazy,[2] derived from the use of stir to mean 'prison'.[citation needed]

A person may experience cabin fever in a situation such as being isolated within a vacation cottage out in the country, or otherwise isolated from civilisation. During cabin fever, a person may experience sleepiness or sleeplessness, have a distrust of anyone they are with, or have an urge to go outside even in adverse conditions such as poor weather or limited visibility. The concept is also invoked humorously to indicate simple boredom from being home alone for an extended period of time.[3]

Cabin fever is not itself a disease and there is no prognosis. However, related symptoms can lead the sufferer to make irrational decisions that could potentially threaten their life or the life of the group with whom they are confined. Some examples would be suicide or paranoia, or leaving the safety of a cabin during a terrible snow storm that one may be stuck in.

We are a very diverse group of people, us Americans. We'll see how long people play nice for before a few start to get stir crazy......

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Cabin fever is not itself a disease and there is no prognosis. However, related symptoms can lead the sufferer to make irrational decisions that could potentially threaten their life or the life of the group with whom they are confined. Some examples would be suicide or paranoia, or leaving the safety of a cabin during a terrible snow storm that one may be stuck in.

We are a very diverse group of people, us Americans. We'll see how long people play nice for before a few start to get stir crazy......

Yes, some already are, and are planning to go out and do things they shouldn't.

Last edited:

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler

Yes, some already are, and are planning to go out and do things they shouldn't.

There are a few (maybe more than a "few") who are going to "play nice" for a while.....

In King County here in WA state they are planning to release criminals (who have been charged with felonies) back into the general population because the courts can't process them within "due process" protocols.

There should be a lot of bored people who "do things they shouldn't"!

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ

Yea I have read both these articles.

The first article still does not answer the question of how a local county can close federal land or maybe I missed it.

The 2nd article has to do with a national park, not empty BLM land.

Getting back to your 1st posting, I get that they are trying to slow the spread of the disease and I'm not arguing against staying in groups smaller than 10 people at 6 feet of distance and religiously washing your hands as recommended by the experts.

However, if they do not come up with a cure until late next year (if ever) are you going to hide in your house indefinitely?

If this virus is as deadly as the Spanish flu, then we are going to see it flare and peak many times over a year before this pandemic ends. I don’t have a bunker to hide in, my wife works in a hospital and we don’t have a gest room for her to self-quarantine by herself.

Last edited:
Reactions: SquishBang

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Getting back to your 1st posting, I get that they are trying to slow the spread of the disease and I'm not arguing against staying in groups smaller than 10 people at 6 feet of distance and religiously washing your hands as recommended by the experts.

However, if they do not come up with a cure until late next year (if ever) are you going to hide in your house indefinitely?

Just providing info to those who may not have seen it in answer to your queries, not necessarily aimed only at you. A lot of folks are coming into adventure forums asking question to things easily answered in cursory searches.

Hide? Ha...not hiding in my house at all, but certainly not out traveling 'cross-country, either, though my van and trailer are set to go for multi-months and thousands of miles. I am actually better-equipped and more self-sufficient than most; can go almost 800 miles before having to refuel; create all my own power needs; have back up transportation that can carry me and some gear 40-50 miles round trip; can carry 47 gals of water; etc.

Of course I'm not staying put indefinitely. I'm ready to get the hell out of here on a moment's notice. I spend far more time on the road adventuring than most, to the tune of 8-10 months a year. And I know the prudent thing to do right now IS TO STAY PUT!

The whole idea, as I've mentioned in more than one place, is to slow things the hell down now as far as travel and contact, "flatten the curve" as is being said, so officials, the entire health system, ventilator and respirator manufacturers, testing facilities and everyone else involved in response to this crisis are not overwhelmed with a huge spike now.

Of course it will last over time, and will surge and wane over time--that's almost a given--and if folks curtail unnecessary travel and contact now, that initial spike will not be anywhere near as overwhelming or disastrous as it will be if they do not. THAT is the point of the Stay the Fuck Home sentiment I and so many other travelers are pushing.

It is very easy to see the results from what other countries have done that have been more prepared since SARS and MERS, with emergency pandemic measures already in place and a population that knows what to do when the virus is just a gleam on the horizon, which we here in the US have failed to do, big-time. They were far more prepared for an outbreak of a novel virus than the US and several other countries, and their confirmed cases and death rates prove it.

Last edited:

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ

Just providing info to those who may not have seen it in answer to your queries, not necessarily aimed only at you. A lot of folks are coming into adventure forums asking question to things easily answered in cursory searches.

Hide? Ha...not hiding in my house at all, but certainly not out traveling 'cross-country, either, though my van and trailer are set to go for multi-months and thousands of miles. I am actually better-equipped and more self-sufficient than most; can go almost 800 miles before having to refuel; create all my own power needs; have back up transportation that can carry me and some gear 40-50 miles round trip; can carry 47 gals of water; etc.

Of course I'm not staying put indefinitely. I'm ready to get the hell out of here on a moment's notice. I spend far more time on the road adventuring than most, to the tune of 8-10 months a year. And I know the prudent thing to do right now IS TO STAY PUT!

The whole idea, as I've mentioned in more than one place, is to slow things the hell down now as far as travel and contact, "flatten the curve" as is being said, so officials, the entire health system, ventilator and respirator manufacturers, testing facilities and everyone else involved in response to this crisis are not overwhelmed with a huge spike now.

Of course it will last over time, and will surge and wane over time--that's almost a given--and if folks curtail unnecessary travel and contact now, that initial spike will not be anywhere near as overwhelming or disastrous as it will be if they do not. THAT is the point of the Stay the Fuck Home sentiment I and so many other travelers are pushing.

It is very easy to see the results from what other countries have done that have been more prepared since SARS and MERS, with emergency pandemic measures already in place and a population that knows what to do when the virus is just a gleam on the horizon, which we here in the US have failed to do, big-time. They were far more prepared for an outbreak of a novel virus than the US and several other countries, and their confirmed cases and death rates prove it.

Hmm, that's an invitation to travel.

Reactions: SquishBang

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
ALL of my Overlanding plans are NOW centered around pulling the Jeep in the garage and going through it nose to tail. Gonna cleanup wiring, reorganized my supplies, check dates on things (medical items), learn my ham radio better, build a storage/drawer/fridge slide in the back. IF Gobi gets my rack to me and IF 23Zero gets my RTT to me I will install those and run all the wiring for all the rack lights. There are a multitude of items I can do to make me "better prepared" for our next adventure, while waiting for it to come.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
There's no doubt this SUCKS!!! I think that in general, the kind of folks who utilize this type of forum aren't the kind of folks who do well staying home and/or staying inside, especially for extended periods of time. I would even go as far as to say it's probably harder on us to find things to keep us busy inside at home than it is for many others. That being said, if we don't, at least for the near future, do everything we can to be a part of the solution, then we're potentially becoming a contributing factor to the problem. Even if everyone just committed to doing it for the next two weeks, it would significantly impact the spread.

I'm not going to worry or complain about being prohibited from "playing outside" or having to cancel a vacation when there's a whole bunch of folks who are worried about loosing their jobs and being able to put food on the table for their families. If I don't do it for any other reason, I'm doing it to be a part of the solution and not a part of the problem.

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
I have postpone indefinatly or at least have yet to set a new date for tomorrows Central New Hampshire Rigs and Brew. I myself am still going to find a spot to get out of the house and hide away some where my phone does not work, set up my stove, make some coffee and perhaps read a book and forget that the entire world has gone to shit for a few hours. Rumor is I may end up unemployed in a few days so I need to decompress and think.

303JETSET

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Totten
Member #

We were supposed to be in Steamboat Springs starting yesterday. No sense I’m rescheduling as the slopes won’t likely reopen this season. Kids were really bummed.

Reactions: M Rose

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
We're putting off any travel plans and I'm using the time to finish the re-work of our expo trailer. Fortunately, I've already got everything I need to finish it up. I'm in the entertainment industry so it's likely I'm not going to be working for awhile. On the upside, my laboring in the garage costs me nothing! :grinning:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
If I don't do it for any other reason, I'm doing it to be a part of the solution and not a part of the problem.
same here. i laugh at people saying they are going "stir crazy". hell, i spent years on submarines and as a radioman, we pretty much did 18hr days in an 8X10 room full of equipment and two benches to sit on and would go a month without surfacing at times. no fresh air, no sun light and food that made SPAM look like filet minion. wasn't that big a deal. people are freaking about staying home for a short while...damn, a house with windows and sunlight coming thru, tv to watch, phones to talk to people (no phone reception under water) your own bed, hot water when ever you want. everyone can still go out in their yards with no problem, not like everyone is being asked to sit in a jail cell with no utilities

and im not even bitching about being on subs because i've talked to guys in the marines and army that lived in foxholes and tents...anyone one of them would have LOVED to be back home and confined to quarters there!

its all perspective as to how "bad" things really are. if youre ex-military or have done hard time, you'll get it

on a lighter note...there is still PLENTY of adventure to be had. the wife wanted to go somewhere she's never been before, so i have her cleaning out the back of the fridge and the hall closet! life is good! :grinning:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I thought there was the occasional sentiment to not parse incomplete data or stories?

Is this story factually incorrect?:

As far as I am concerned I am going to drive around all of these issues.

You think people in outlying communities are worried when travelers come through? Many of us don't hit the road unless we are totally prepared. It's harmless to stop at a gas station and fill up your rig using a debit card and move on. If you want to practice "social distancing" just don't go into the store.

You can't expect everyone to react to this situation the same, we all process the data differently. I'm hearing some pretty wild doomsday stuff being said.

Yes, my trip has been seriously altered. Last June, I took a 1 year sabbatical from work so I could embark on some "unfinished business". Unfortunately, on week 1 of my sabbatical I was diagnosed with cancer while I was living in China. I had to come home to have surgery and recover, which consumed 3 months of my sabbatical. Fortunately, I went through all of that prior to the Wuhan Chinese Coronavirus problem. I feel really bad for people who are diagnosed during these scary times. Treatment/procedures are going to be far more stressful now.
Then, to recover my sabbatical I planned to go on WABDR and AZBDR (that was the motivation to join this site), go through Sierras and Yellowstone and also peel off for some amusement park and ghost town action along the way. And I planned to go visit my family's cemetary site and pay my respects. Now that's all a mess and I am scheduled to go back to work in a few short months.

So, I say "eff" it. I am going to modify my plans to stay away from any rules or closures, I will find other stuff to get out and do. To be sure, I WILL respect other people's fears, I will be prepared enough to not need to interact with anyone who'd rather not. Seems to me there are plenty of people being reasonable about all of this, but I am NOT going to hunker down.
So far, all directives include allowances for "essential business or activities" so who is going to enforce that? LEO going to pull over everyone they see and question them? You think LEO wants to interact with people if they don't have to? If you drive out to an off-road area or open lands, who is going to stop you?
Very disappointing post. What I want to say is that (your illness) is just the breaks of life. Many up's and downs for everyone, your not alone. Be thankful your still alive from you near death experience and fortunate you could lean on your sabbatical for the time to heal without having to go back to work like many do. What-who gives you the right to break the rule directives that the rest of us try to live with, out of respect for the rule and respect for others who obey the rules, and because of all the unknowns of this Plague dumped on humanity. No one will probably be there to stop you from going where others will voluntarily avoid reluctantly. Putting your self in jeopardy is your business. By your statement "I'm not going to hunker down" tells me you have no respect for the situation that we "ALL" are having to endure one way or the other. Sounds to me you have it pretty good compared to the many who are worried about feeding their family or keeping a roof over their head. It's not the end of time where the attitude may be "might as well shoot the moon it wont be there tomorrow".

Reactions: MOAK

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
same here. i laugh at people saying they are going "stir crazy". hell, i spent years on submarines and as a radioman, we pretty much did 18hr days in an 8X10 room full of equipment and two benches to sit on and would go a month without surfacing at times. no fresh air, no sun light and food that made SPAM look like filet minion. wasn't that big a deal. people are freaking about staying home for a short while...damn, a house with windows and sunlight coming thru, tv to watch, phones to talk to people (no phone reception under water) your own bed, hot water when ever you want. everyone can still go out in their yards with no problem, not like everyone is being asked to sit in a jail cell with no utilities

and im not even bitching about being on subs because i've talked to guys in the marines and army that lived in foxholes and tents...anyone one of them would have LOVED to be back home and confined to quarters there!

its all perspective as to how "bad" things really are. if youre ex-military or have done hard time, you'll get it

on a lighter note...there is still PLENTY of adventure to be had. the wife wanted to go somewhere she's never been before, so i have her cleaning out the back of the fridge and the hall closet! life is good! :grinning:
On another "lighter note" & not to make light of the virus situation, but you're response gave me an idea..... With all the various flavors of SPAM, why not filet minion flavored SPAM?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
On another "lighter note" & not to make light of the virus situation, but you're response gave me an idea..... With all the various flavors of SPAM, why not filet minion flavored SPAM?
i love it! it can come in a round can and when you open it, there is the fat marbling like a real filet. heck, if burger king can come up with the Impossible Burger...i know this could work! :grinning: