How Far off the grid is average for most?

• HTML tutorial

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Hey, Curious if most people are heading out for multiple days out of cell phone range or miles off the beaten path. I have a few favorite trails that are 20-30 km long and have no cell signal anywhere on them. I know most trails are not that long but I tend to go for the longer trails because less people are on them because they take all day to run. a few of them have some nice camp spots and I like to stay out there for a few days when possible. that being said my Jeep is set up to be more of a crawler and has very few creature comforts so I am wondering what other people are into whether its long highway miles, trail miles, rocks, mud, mountains, lakes, or just day trips out for some fresh scenery.69825294_378102769530553_7602153622146646016_n.jpg

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

I am comfortable with the multiple day/no human contact/no cell service trips - exploring, hunting and fishing. Some of the places that we go, we won't see anyone else for a week unless it's through a set of binos. I have spent the night in the woods with just my day hunting pack contents.

We began 4 wheeling before cell phones, pretty much just CB's, bring what you think you may need and staying the night on the trail is no big deal.

My thought is prepare for what you don't expect to happen and if it does you will be ready. I always have an EDC/get home pack that will get me through a couple days minimum.

1. Proper equipment
2. Training- survival, recovery, first aid, firearm
3. Practice, practice, practice
4. If you go alone or in a small group, give others the coordinates of where you plan to go.
5. Just go!

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
My main objective "IS" to get out of cell phone range. The phone is shut off the moment I leave my driveway. I head to the most remote area's that I know will not have people around (hopefully). Typically I will 4X4 in a minimum of 2 hours, most times considerably more before even looking for a place to camp.

You're not off the grid until you're off the grid ...................... at least as much as possible in today's over populated world.

I despise camp grounds and I only use them when I'm forced to ........... like in a National Park.

To me, that's what it's ALL ABOUT. :smiley:

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We prefer being a long way off grid. No cell, no services, no artificial lighting, no noise, no people. One of our favorite campsites in the lower 48 is just about 4 hours from any services. We are currently planning a trip to the same region, different area, and will be way off grid for 4 nights, go into town and resupply, then head a little bit west for 4 more nights, then again for 2 nights, as we cover roughly 30 to 50 miles each day, till we hit the pavement and head home. It’ll be about a 5,500 mile round trip.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Exactly what I am talking about. Most people I seem to talk to on a regular basis go for short technical trails and day trips then back to heavily populated camp grounds, and that just isn't for me. I have a couple of favourite spots. Some I can't get into with a smaller 4x4 anymore ( which my wife prefers) most through a few hours of forest, mud, and rock. The camp spots near the entrance and exits are always full and that's fine but I head further in and it's usually a 12-16 hour trail for most and I don't many, if any, people out there in a few days of being there. It's about as secluded as I have found. It's a 3 hour highway drive from where I live and then into the trail probly 2-3 hours.

Attachments

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Exactly what I am talking about. Most people I seem to talk to on a regular basis go for short technical trails and day trips then back to heavily populated camp grounds, and that just isn't for me. I have a couple of favourite spots. Some I can't get into with a smaller 4x4 anymore ( which my wife prefers) most through a few hours of forest, mud, and rock. The camp spots near the entrance and exits are always full and that's fine but I head further in and it's usually a 12-16 hour trail for most and I don't many, if any, people out there in a few days of being there. It's about as secluded as I have found. It's a 3 hour highway drive from where I live and then into the trail probly 2-3 hours.
I like your hammock arrangement.

Reactions: Trail_pilot

df150

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canada
First Name
Denis
Last Name
G
Member #

Hey, How far in Ontario should one go to find places like this?

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Hey, How far in Ontario should one go to find places like this?
where about are you? I have family up in Parry Sound so I tend to head to Ardbeg. Or if I am going with other Jeeps, I am usually around Minden, Haliburton, Bobcaygeon trail systems.

yeos

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Moses Lake
First Name
Torn
Last Name
Saelee
Member #

I don't take this "off grid" thing as seriously as others do. Some of the best places I've gone to aren't as off grid as one may think and with no other people in the area. My trips are pre-planned and I have multiple map sources that rely on gps to get me in and out so if I do end up off grid then I and whoever I may be with will be prepared for it. Being an introvert like myself may be an advantage in these situations as throughout our everyday life we are often going places where there are less people around.

df150

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canada
First Name
Denis
Last Name
G
Member #

where about are you? I have family up in Parry Sound so I tend to head to Ardbeg. Or if I am going with other Jeeps, I am usually around Minden, Haliburton, Bobcaygeon trail systems.
Toronto area, I did hear about Ardbeg area, looks very good,some small lakes with direct access to with vehicle, not sure if camping allowed on the lake itself. Also seems like good places to explore around Sudbury/North Bay I think , I drive over there sometimes for work

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Toronto area, I did hear about Ardbeg area, looks very good,some small lakes with direct access to with vehicle, not sure if camping allowed on the lake itself. Also seems like good places to explore around Sudbury/North Bay I think , I drive over there sometimes for work
Ya I don't know much further north than Parry Sound because I don't get up that way much.

The Captain

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chelsea VIC, Australia
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Watts
Member #

For me it's all about off grid, after all it's what these cars are made for! I'm not into driving up and down something just to say I did it, there has to be a destination and a goal. Having said that ........ if it's between me and where I want to go then I'll have a crack.

Best remote trip I've done is the Canning Stock Route, should mention I'm in Aus, some history here if anyone is interested. Canning Stock Route - Wikipedia
I believe it is one of the longest remote tracks in the world at approximately 1800km.

Everyone needs to go remote, like I say there's nothing out there but so much to see.

Photo album Items Shared on 5-1-2020

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Where I live in Western Australia, you can be out of cell / mobile phone range within 1 hour of leaving Perth or any major town and most of the tracks that we drive for fun (i.e. day out or weekend trip) are within 2 - 3 hours of Perth and are often out of cell / mobile phone range.

I regularly go on trips that takes days, if not a week or more to drive and all of that is remote country with not cell / mobile phone reception.

The smart ones of us carry Satphones and or Personal Locator Beacons / Spot GPS (or similar) when going on these remote trips; however, other don't and find themselves in trouble and the authorities have to search for them. Last year about 10 people died in remote country because they got into trouble and had no way of calling for help :disappointed::disappointed:

It is a great (but strange) feeling to be somewhere out in the remote country (aka 'the Outback') and know that there isn't another person within a couple hundred square kilometres of where you are :grinning::grinning:

Karl

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I feel like you Aussies have the home field advantage when it come to everything overland LOL. I would love to make it out there some day but unfortunately the time I would need to take off just isn't doable. Which is why most of my trips around here are was an a week lol.

Reactions: Nomad164