How far do you have to travel to overnight? (no reservations, no office/ranger stop)

• HTML tutorial

How far do you have to travel to overnight? (no reservations, no office/ranger stop)

• 0-15 mins

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 16-30 mins

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • 31-45 mins

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • 45mins - 1 hr

• 1-1.5 hrs

• 1.5 to 2 hrs

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • 2 - 3 hrs

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • 3-4 hrs

• 4+ hrs

• Total voters

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

Thinking more like BLM, National Forest, Rustic Campgrounds, State Land. Basically anything that doesn't require a reservation, stopping at a office, or anything like that. A place you can just drive up to and camp. First come first serve campgrounds are fine. Something that you could just go to on a whim.

Just curious. Out west people probably got more options that other places.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

From the DC area you're looking at about 1-1.5 hrs to get into National Forest, with legal OHV trails and dispersed camping, and some beautiful country!

Reactions: jimbofoxman

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I put 16-30 minutes but I could camp across the road as my home faces BLM land. I live adjacent to a unit of the Sawtooth National Forest but while it's all dispersed camping, I like to drive a little further in.

KPMetrics

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vermont
Member #

I've got it good. Only a couple miles from my house to the Green Mountain National Forest. 5 minutes from home I'm on gravel. 15 minutes and I'm in one of my favorite camp sites. Streams and ponds full of trout, hardly ever even see anyone else.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

6-7 months out of the year I can camp 15-20 minutes from home. The summer months the temps can be 100 to 120 degrees in that spot. Then we need to drive 2 hours to the mountains.

Last Friday we were planning to head out for two nights, but I couldn't get out on time then found out I needed to finish a project by Friday. We went to the State Park campground 7.5 miles from home. Had a great time with great views and could still get on online for work. We walked the campground and talked to people which we usually never do because no one is around.

Todd