• HTML tutorial

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

For those who do a lot of fishing on trips, how do you transport your rods? up until recently I did a lot of shore fishing for fun and usually packed a cheap telescopic rod and if it broke it wasn't a big deal. Over the years I have tried fitting rods across the roof inside the vehicle, or down the sides and at some point they always seem to catch on something and break.
last year I picked up a fishing kayak for getting out on the bay near where I live to try and get some salmon, and this led to more expensive gear and I carry more than one rod most of the time.
Any suggestions on ways to carry rods without risking breaking them?

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

For those who do a lot of fishing on trips, how do you transport your rods? up until recently I did a lot of shore fishing for fun and usually packed a cheap telescopic rod and if it broke it wasn't a big deal. Over the years I have tried fitting rods across the roof inside the vehicle, or down the sides and at some point they always seem to catch on something and break.
last year I picked up a fishing kayak for getting out on the bay near where I live to try and get some salmon, and this led to more expensive gear and I carry more than one rod most of the time.
Any suggestions on ways to carry rods without risking breaking them?
Cheap DIY rod holders for my fly rods:
10’x2” PVC pipe cut in half
Female adapters glued to one end
Cap screws into the adapter
I cut a slot in the pipe to accept the reel
2-hole straps screwed to plywood
“U” bolt around canopy rib with wing nuts for easy removal.

I fold the rod in half with the line still strung through the guides and slip it in the tube. The canopy top helps keep the rods from sliding and being seen.

Attachments

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
For long distance travel I strap one of these tubes on the side of the rack for my RTT:

I can get 6-8 broken down casting/spinning rods in it and smaller rods less than six ft. It is somewhat adjustable and lockable. Have to remove the reels of course to get them in. For short trips I have some fabricated bungee ropes that I have strung between the two uprights that support my RTT. That works surprisingly well for four or five fully rigged rods. I will try to get some pictures. Both methods stick out past the tailgate but being 5'9" the rods in the bungees almost clear my head. The tube is lower and a bit of a pain(literally) and I tie some orange surveyors tape to help remind me to duck. I may try to mount it at an angle in the future. I have used 6" PVC before but I already look like Jed Clampett going down the road so the tube is slightly less of a "rig".

I have some surf rod holders on a cargo rack on a front receiver but I don't use that on the highway. Occasionally handy for other things around camp...even sticking rods in them! My fly rods I just keep in a tube in the truck or partially broken down in the bungees. I don't like to leave my stuff unsecured for long if I'm not close by.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Big surf rods: 4" pvc pipe with slip on end caps (one side is a slip in plug, other end threaded) that is the length of my truck bed.
Light rods: adjustable Plano fishing rods tube
Full time: 2 piece fly rod in a rod sleeve that is wired to the shirt loops in the top corner of my cab.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

@Red_Leaf_Overland - This came up on the TJ forum last week and I know you have an LJ. I don't think a #1 solution was arrived at but at least a few ideas were discussed. Mine was to convert a MOPAR ski rack into a rod holder. It's an idea I've had for a rack I have but have not found the time to do. I know I could make it work but I'm not sure it's the best way. I'm well experienced in making things only to find out the hard way they weren't a great idea. lol.

Jeep TJ Fishing Rod Holders | Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum

2021-02-05 4.jpg

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

@Red_Leaf_Overland - This came up on the TJ forum last week and I know you have an LJ. I don't think a #1 solution was arrived at but at least a few ideas were discussed. Mine was to convert a MOPAR ski rack into a rod holder. It's an idea I've had for a rack I have but have not found the time to do. I know I could make it work but I'm not sure it's the best way. I'm well experienced in making things only to find out the hard way they weren't a great idea. lol.

Jeep TJ Fishing Rod Holders | Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum

View attachment 224425
Awesome! Thanks. I may have to pop over there and have a read.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Im lucky enough to have room in the bed of the truck to carry my gear. We just went to the beach for a weekend camp with friends and I brought both 12FT rods to do some crab snaring. I am thinkin of making some kind of holder for the rods as they do fine in the bed of the truck with all my gear, just securing them might be a bit easier

WPOtter

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Markham, Virginia, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Porter
Either in the truck bed. Or for extended camps where the beds full of gear and wood I just picked up this box particularly for the surf rods:

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

After breaking a few guides off my rods carrying them in my Jeep we went ahead and bought travel rods that break down and fit into their cases (harder to find a case for my spinning rod than for casting rod). I then just velcro the cases to my roll bar. We also bought a bigger rod case that can also carry the reels and some gear but that takes up a fair bit of room.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I cant even imagine carrying my rods and the rest of the gear along with my camping gear in my jeep

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
I use this.

it comes with two wall mounts. I ordered another wall mount from them that has a locking pin. Load em up on the roof rack!

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

After breaking a few guides off my rods carrying them in my Jeep we went ahead and bought travel rods that break down and fit into their cases (harder to find a case for my spinning rod than for casting rod). I then just velcro the cases to my roll bar. We also bought a bigger rod case that can also carry the reels and some gear but that takes up a fair bit of room.
I have room a few tips off of mine because I was storing them above my roll bat netting between the soft lol. They take some wiggling to get them in but it was working until it wasn't.

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I cant even imagine carrying my rods and the rest of the gear along with my camping gear in my jeep
Lol I usually travel light if I am solo and have rods in the jeep. I carry 2 Plano storage trunk ( 1 with spare parts/fluids/tools, and the other with camping gear: hammock, tarps, hatchet, ropes) then usually have the stove on top of those, the hi-lift and a shovel run between them, a backpack full of fishing tackle, a backpack full of recovery gear ( which usually stays up front with me) and an old roof basket that I made cross bars across the tub to strap a cooler to. This setup still leaves me enough room to carry a duffel bag and 5 gallons of water on the basket, and 2 5 gallon race style gas cans at the very back behind everything.
I usually take the tops off the doors and rool the back window up for some airflow so I don't smell the gas if I'm carrying it.

All of these pictures were taken while out on trips loaded up with a passenger in one of my favorite areas to camp. Takes about an hour to get to the trailhead from the nearest town, then 2-3 hours down the trail to get to camp. And I never hear or see anyone else when I am out there

Attachments

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
I have the PVC tube with the glue on and screw cap setup that works pretty well. The challenge I have is when we go for a "ride" and end up somewhere that I wish I had brought a rod.
I just recently picked up one of the BassPro pack rods and really like it. I leave it, a reel and a small tackle bag in the truck full time now so I'm never without a rod on our adventures.
Bass Pro Shops Fish Eagle Travel Spinning Rod | Bass Pro Shops

Contributor II

Upper Mississippi Valley
First Name
Stoy
Last Name
Asmussen
For long distance travel I strap one of these tubes on the side of the rack for my RTT:

I can get 6-8 broken down casting/spinning rods in it and smaller rods less than six ft. It is somewhat adjustable and lockable. Have to remove the reels of course to get them in. For short trips I have some fabricated bungee ropes that I have strung between the two uprights that support my RTT. That works surprisingly well for four or five fully rigged rods. I will try to get some pictures. Both methods stick out past the tailgate but being 5'9" the rods in the bungees almost clear my head. The tube is lower and a bit of a pain(literally) and I tie some orange surveyors tape to help remind me to duck. I may try to mount it at an angle in the future. I have used 6" PVC before but I already look like Jed Clampett going down the road so the tube is slightly less of a "rig".

I have some surf rod holders on a cargo rack on a front receiver but I don't use that on the highway. Occasionally handy for other things around camp...even sticking rods in them! My fly rods I just keep in a tube in the truck or partially broken down in the bungees. I don't like to leave my stuff unsecured for long if I'm not close by.
This is the Best way home made PVC rod casee are the safest way to carry rods. I have done this for years and even into fly in fishing lodges where people would stand on them with no problem.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Lol I usually travel light if I am solo and have rods in the jeep. I carry 2 Plano storage trunk ( 1 with spare parts/fluids/tools, and the other with camping gear: hammock, tarps, hatchet, ropes) then usually have the stove on top of those, the hi-lift and a shovel run between them, a backpack full of fishing tackle, a backpack full of recovery gear ( which usually stays up front with me) and an old roof basket that I made cross bars across the tub to strap a cooler to. This setup still leaves me enough room to carry a duffel bag and 5 gallons of water on the basket, and 2 5 gallon race style gas cans at the very back behind everything.
I usually take the tops off the doors and rool the back window up for some airflow so I don't smell the gas if I'm carrying it.

All of these pictures were taken while out on trips loaded up with a passenger in one of my favorite areas to camp. Takes about an hour to get to the trailhead from the nearest town, then 2-3 hours down the trail to get to camp. And I never hear or see anyone else when I am out there
You have a bit more room, looks like you have a LJ and I have a TJ with the spare inside in the rear. Plus the poles are just about 6ft since its a 12ft 2pc rod

ontos

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Shepherd
I fish out of a CRV and mostly fly fish so this has been a bit of a challenge for me. I've gone to exclusively four-piece rods both fly and spinning which I transport in a case like this: IMG_20220302_181604216_HDR.jpg

When I'm at my destination and moving from spot to spot I use a DIY set of suction cup racks that I put on the hood and roof of the CRV like this:

IMG_20220302_181539539_HDR.jpg

The thing I like most about this set-up is that it works equally well in my rig as it does a rental car. Recently I was fishing in south Florida fishing the Tamiami Trail and Alligator Alley and this set-up worked great on the rental car and was no problem to include in a checked bag. I was worried about the suction mounts, but they have been fine up to 70ish MPH with 3-4 fully rigged fly rods. It is really nice to have rods rigged with various fly patterns ready to go and not spend a lot of time switching between flies/lures.

I borrowed the suction rack idea from this fellow. https://currentseamsflyfishing.com/25-diy-fly-rod-rackcarrier/

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder

Bernard_C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Menlo Park, CA
First Name
Bernard
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN9NGN
I'm in a 4-door jeep. I ocean fish from my kayak regularly (almost weekly during the summer) and carry the rods with their butts in the front seat, with the tips going backwards towards the passenger area. I can carry rods up to 6' 6" this way (or 2pc 8' 6" salmon rods broken down). I've tried the rods in other configs (butts in the trunk, tips coming forward), but they move around too much and I'm concerned I'd snap a guide.

When I overland, I carry travel rods that come in a case. There is too much other stuff in the jeep to carry unprotected gear.

KISS