How do you store your spare fluids?

• HTML tutorial

FX4Bob

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
Member #

I'm looking for ideas for fluid storage (oils, coolant, brake fluid, etc.). Right now I just have quart and gallon containers sitting in my tool box. I'm sure some of you have come up with clever ways to store these bottles more efficiently. Maybe transferring them to a different type of storage container?

How do you store your spare fluids?

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I’ve been wondering about that. I thought about some kind of flexible pouch or bladder like they use for fuel that would tuck in odd shaped corners of the truck but never got around to doing anything about it. At the moment I just have a couple of trays (in case of leaks) which I lay the original bottles in and stash under the back seat. My reasoning there was to try and move some of the weight a bit further forward in the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

All fluids are mostly 1 or 2 litre square/rectangular containers and packed (with rags around) in a storage box, with other tools and spares in so the box is full with no wasted space.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I keep my all my vehicle fluids in their original containers and right inside the left rear door of my van in the side cabinet you see below to left of the fridge.

It has a removable top and is always easy to open and grab fluids when needed. Which is really not too often, other than the Red Line fuel additive I get a new bottle of every dozen or so tankfuls. Then I keep that 12oz bottle in my front door pocket. Come to think of it, I usually have a quart of oil and sometimes a bottle of steering fluid in the front door pocket, too, though mostly out of years of habit. This van doesn't need oil often and rarely needs brake or steering fluid.

Over the years I've found there's no sense--at least for me--in trying to decant fluids into other containers to save space, or to keep it all in some more out of the way place, as then it's a pain to get to when you want. I've got more room than a lot of you, though. I want it quick and easy when I need it and a easy spot to put it all back away after changing oil, etc.

I keep shop rags, oil wrench, funnels, odd bits of hose and hose clamps, hand cleaner, and any other typical on the road maintenance stuff in there, too. These side cabinets have been the best thing I ever did for storing stuff I don't need in daily camping, though I'll be changing that up soon on the left side to accommodate the fridge and a commode more efficiently. Tools are another matter. . . I have too many and keep them in the forward end of the other side cabinet so I can get them from the side door.

I'll get a pic of the inside of that side cabinet if you think it'd be helpful.

roaddude_van-interior-9810.jpg