Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If its a modern vehicle, you would be surprised how well they keep water out. On the other hand, I'm very much aware of how deep before my intake goes under. If your vehicle is old enough to have a distributor (mines 1996), there are ways to make them water resistant. I've forded water to the middle of my door in the cruiser and just below the top of my fender in my TJ without problem.

90's and older vehicle's, they mounted the computers a bit low inside the vehicles. Upper 90's they started making the computers water proof and put them in the engine compartment. But only the engine computer. The other computers and connectors in a vehicle are not water proof. You swamp a vehicle, you climb out the window and don't fill the cab with water. This includes new vehicles.

Scott

Reactions: PatriotT4R

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

First off get a diesel, Put amazing goop or silicone adhesive around every single electrical connection also around the edges of all computer boxes or anything electronic, raise your differential, transfer case, transmission and fuel tank vents. Install both intake and exhaust snorkels and pray you sealed everything.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Also unless you have your differentials pressurised you will need to drain them after every adventure that takes you through alot of water, a hot diff will suck water through the axle seals when it hits water and rapidly cools. You will also need to figure out how to disconnect the cooling fan if crossing a wide stretch of water, if your fan is electric you can install a switch if clutch driven youll need to undo the belt. If the fan kicks on in the water it will push the fan into the radiator and tear it up. If your still stock and only plan on crossing water up to the axle dont worry about it just dont drive too fast.

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

Don't over think it. Most water crossings are less then 3', if higher don't do it, especially if there's a strong current. The only mod you'll need to do on your 4R is extend the rear diff and e-locker breathers up (google scuba mod). The trans, case, and front diff breathers are in the engine bay, high enough to avoid the water. The door seals are amazingly tight.
The more important thing is to learn how to do a water crossing and practice good sense.

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

Don't over think it. Most water crossings are less then 3', if higher don't do it, especially if there's a strong current. The only mod you'll need to do on your 4R is extend the rear diff and e-locker breathers up (google scuba mod). The trans, case, and front diff breathers are in the engine bay, high enough to avoid the water. The door seals are amazingly tight.
The more important thing is to learn how to do a water crossing and practice good sense.
Thanks for the tip ... I'm not even remotely familiar with how the scuba mod is installed and the starting to end points. Do you know where I can pull a DIY video or reading material specific to the 4 Runner? Yes, I agree most importantly the correct approach to water crossings is something I need to learn correctly and safely.