How do you get wet ?

• HTML tutorial

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
I spend 6 months a year traveling and camping the west, mostly on BLM and dispersed National Forest. I am often by lakes and rivers. I am thinking I would like to get on the water with my dog. I've been looking at all the usual suspects, canoes, kayaks, inflatables etc. What is working for you?

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I've got an Advanced Elements 'yak. My 60lb Borador will fit on the deck, but my fat yellow lab won't. Never thought I'd like an inflatable as I've beat up sit on top hard kayaks, but she's held up for 6 years now on lakes and rivers, even bouncing off rocks.
If I didn't get the boat for free, I would have got another sit on top, more doggie friendly and I can surf in it.

Reactions: buckwilk

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

I enjoy my canoe. It is a 17' Mad River Canoe (you probably guessed by the Confident Rabbit avatar) Duck Hunter. It offered plenty of room for the wife and I, a couple huskies, and plenty of camping gear. We have a couple kids now, so things are a bit tighter, but we still enjoy it for day trips and fishing. Obviously it doesn't hold as much overnight gear with the kids, but we can still do a night or two with the crew.

If it was just me, I think I would still go for a canoe as it carries more gear and a dog comfortably than some of the other options. Canoes can be a bit heavier than kayaks. They also each handle differently. So don't assume one boat is representative of its kin. Definitely try to paddle a few before buying anything.

Good luck in your choice!

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

One thing I forgot to mention is any dog must be trained to be stable in the canoe. Mine is made of Royalex which flexes. A couple of my dogs were not bothered by it and more interested in what was going on around them. But one hated the flexibility of the hull and could never wait to get out of the canoe. He was great on the trail, but hated being on the water.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@buckwilk
I am thinking I would like to get on the water with my dog.
We've got a 17' Coleman canoe worked great with 2 men and a 180 lb Newfoundland. The hardest part was keeping the dog IN the boat. Newfs are born for the water and would just as soon swim and ride along. (The current Newf is too much a spaz so we have not tried it recently, Might take out brothers Lab this summer once he calms down a bit)

The inflatable Avon (like Zodiac) was a no go. The soft floor on our model was difficult to deal with the dog on. Basically like having 180 lbs jumping around on an old king size water bed.

Boort

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
@buckwilk

We've got a 17' Coleman canoe worked great with 2 men and a 180 lb Newfoundland. The hardest part was keeping the dog IN the boat. Newfs are born for the water and would just as soon swim and ride along. (The current Newf is too much a spaz so we have not tried it recently, Might take out brothers Lab this summer once he calms down a bit)

The inflatable Avon (like Zodiac) was a no go. The soft floor on our model was difficult to deal with the dog on. Basically like having 180 lbs jumping around on an old king size water bed.

Boort
180 lb wow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I used to take Maggie on my cobra fish n dive which is a super stable kayak, perfect for her to walk around all over while I paddled. I recently upgraded to a Hobie outback which is also quite stable but with the foot pedal yak she has to ride in the back. It's not quite as stable as the fish n dive was when she moves from one side to the other but we've both have gotten used to it and it's an awesome boat. I think that sit on top kayaks are great for dogs since it's pretty easy to haul them back on in case they decide to go for a swim, a canoe might be a little trickier.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: TOMB and buckwilk

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I used to take Maggie on my cobra fish n dive which is a super stable kayak, perfect for her to walk around all over while I paddled. I recently upgraded to a Hobie outback which is also quite stable but with the foot pedal yak she has to ride in the back. It's not quite as stable as the fish n dive was when she moves from one side to the other but we've both have gotten used to it and it's an awesome boat. I think that sit on top kayaks are great for dogs since it's pretty easy to haul them back on in case they decide to go for a swim, a canoe might be a little trickier.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Ahhh Morro Bay!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: 000