Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
How do you carry your recovery gear? I’m talking chains, straps, shackles, rigging equipment, and such.

I have a plastic 50 Cal ammo can with removable tool tray that I keep my winch rigging gear in. The bottom consists of 2 block and tackles, 2 shackles, a tree saver strap, a spool of “bailing”wire, and a “Y” harness sling. In the removable tray, I have a pair of pliers, a k-bar knife, a multi tip screwdriver, a hammer, an adjustable wrench, and a first aid kit.

For tow straps, I have a milk crate.
Right now my tow chains are piled on the floor of the Bronco. I’m going to find a better solution for those.
Tire chains usually go in 2 ammo cans, 1 for the front and one for the rear, on my Ram, I could put the ammo cans in the bumpers, now I need to make a spot to get to them easily.

So what is your method?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Most if not all of my recovery gear is either in my Stanley tool box that has a handle and wheel or my Plano box that also has wheels. Love boxes lol.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'm self employed and realized I have far too many tools and no way I could list them for insurance so I photographed them all.
Here is my "recovery tools" bag.

DSCN1249.jpeg

I did this with every tool I own.... here are the masonary demolition tools.
DSCN1206.jpeg

Definitely the easiest way to inventory your tools for insurance,,, or the police.
ps, that is everything I carry for recovery plus a shovel and a winch. I photoed everything in each tool box.

This is the tool box which never leaves the Jeep
cool thing, I bought that tool box for my Dad in 1970.

DSCN1248.jpeg

Years ago someone stole my watch.... and my insurer wanted a picture of me wearing it... eventually I found one.
That inspired this photo exercise. I took 48 photos like these.

Last edited:

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I keep most of my recovery gear in a Warn winch bag in my storage drawer. The recovery strap fits into the side storage panel in the rear of my 4Runner. In general I like soft sided storage bags because they are space efficient and help keep the contents from rattling.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Straps, shackles, d rings, gloves go in a bag behind my passenger seat. Chains, tracks, hilift, shovel, axe and come along go wherever they fit in the bed.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have used tool bags, Plano totes and milk crates. Now I use a drawer system, works much better for me. No more digging thru totes, everything is in sight and just a hand grab away.

Reactions: M Rose

samuraj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

chicago
First Name
adam
Last Name
adam
Member #

I'm self employed and realized I have far too many tools and no way I could list them for insurance so I photographed them all.
Here is my "recovery tools" bag.

View attachment 130424

I did this with every tool I own.... here are the masonary demolition tools.
View attachment 130426

Definitely the easiest way to inventory your tools for insurance,,, or the police.
ps, that is everything I carry for recovery plus a shovel and a winch. I photoed everything in each tool box.

This is the tool box which never leaves the Jeep
cool thing, I bought that tool box for my Dad in 1970.

View attachment 130429

Years ago someone stole my watch.... and my insurer wanted a picture of me wearing it... eventually I found one.
That inspired this photo exercise. I took 48 photos like these.
you are missing 10mm socket ......:blush:

CharlieA

Rank 0

Contributor I

Australia
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Aubin
Disclaimer: We are the inventors of a compact recovery system that can fit in a glove box or under a seat. We carry the shovel and anchors in the back and, of course, when we've been using our gear in the mud we have a caterer's bucket in case we can't wash out at the scene. Our system, BOG OUT - is attached to the wheel and then the other end is anchored to something strong. It turns your wheel into a winch and works in forwards and reverse and we are now trialling on Amazon US store.

Attachments

Reactions: Munga Brown

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

I've seen videos of your Bog Out system. Pretty cool concept.

I don't have a ton of stuff yet, I still need a hi lift & some traction boards. I have a tree saver, a 30' snatch strap, a hitch mount shackle & a couple pairs of shackles I keep in a soft bag.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

I don't have a ton of stuff yet, I still need a hi lift & some traction boards. I have a tree saver, a 30' snatch strap, a hitch mount shackle & a couple pairs of shackles I keep in a soft bag.
I feel traction boards are overrated, I can’t think of a single situation I have ever been stuck in that they would have helped the recovery process. The only place I can see them helping is in the sand. I would save the money on traction boards for now and put it towards a winch or come along, or even this Bog Out product.

Reactions: Munga Brown

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

I've been stuck in my own driveway (not really mud, just wet dirt/leaves/vegitation. I live on the edge of a nat'l forest). Not in my truck, but my Ol' Lady's old Subaru. I bought some Uber-cheap traction boards for her & we have 'em in her Rav4. When that one wheel spins & it's the only thing keeping you from moving, a board to slip under the wheel is a quick, easy "fix". But yeah. I'm not in a hurry.

Reactions: Desert Runner

CharlieA

Rank 0

Contributor I

Australia
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Aubin

Thanks @Munga Brown - easy to get stuck in your own driveway, plenty have done it. We don't carry much now either, the BOG OUT, some extension ropes, shovel, star pickets& chain, hammer. We find soft shackles safe and versatile.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA

You might not actually need a hi lift or traction boards. In many cases a quality factory jack and saddle adapter can be a safer and lighter option than a hi lift. Also, keep in mind that your truck needs to have usable lifting points for a hi lift to work. Traction boards can be useful in soft terrain (sand, snow, etc), so their value depends on the conditions you run into. The downside is that they take up a good amount of space.

Solid front and rear recovery points and a recovery strap will get you a really long way (as long as there is another vehicle around).

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Great idea. I once took a houseful of images for my grandparents, room by room and wall by wall, for insurance purposes.

This is a great reminder to do the same for the huge amount of stuff I keep with me traveling. I'm in the process of sorting and re-organizing everything, so this is a great time to do a bunch of flat-lays for photos.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I have all of my recovery gear in a small cheap backpack. this way I can grab it and throw it on my shoulder to help out whoever needs it. Sometimes I'm alone, and sometimes I'm with a dozen friends, sometimes its an issue with snow and ice, and sometimes its mud or rock.
I have a 30' tow strap, 2 snatch blocks, 2 d-rings and the backpack itself can be used as a line damper if needed. Most of the time I also have my air inflate/deflate tools in there as well but I am working on moving them to another pouch because I just got an air tank for faster fill ups and i will have those tools closer to it once it is mounted.

OvermydeadRover!

Rank II
Launch Member

Member III

Connecticut
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Pereira
Member #

About the same as Girard... maybe not the same gear though... being able to carry the gear on your back can be useful when your trying tio climb out of a mud hole!

Reactions: M Rose