Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Howdy all, for a few years now I have tried different methods of carrying Axes and shovels with me. The axe and shovels were always carried inside the vehicle, which is huge pain, and I have tried many different types of shovels and hatches in order to minimize the amount of space they take up. After installing my roof rack a year ago, I decided to try a Garvin Industries axe/shovel mount and carry the tools outside. Below is an install and initial impressions video of the axe and shovel combo mount. What do you think? How do you carry your axe and shovel?

Reactions: Phil Klinkenborg

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
whats wrong with throwing it in the back of the Jeep? I know it may get stuff dirty but usually all my stuff is in hard cases or dry bags so if it gets dirty i just wait for it to dry and brush it off. this being said I may build something like this once I build my rack for mine... I wouldn't call it a simplistic solution though. and the less tools I have to pull out to get other tools out the better ... even it its a wing nut I have a bad wrist lol.

Reactions: Embark With Mark

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

whats wrong with throwing it in the back of the Jeep? I know it may get stuff dirty but usually all my stuff is in hard cases or dry bags so if it gets dirty i just wait for it to dry and brush it off. this being said I may build something like this once I build my rack for mine... I wouldn't call it a simplistic solution though. and the less tools I have to pull out to get other tools out the better ... even it its a wing nut I have a bad wrist lol.
im not really concerned about the axe and shovel being dirty. During long trips, organization is key and as you know jeeps dont have a whole lot of space to pack gear inside. I was having to pull out gear in the inside of the jeep to pull out my axe or shovel. I hate digging for gear haha.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I picked up a couple of conduit hangers at the hardware store for $2 and grabbed a pack of Quick Fists while I was there. Then I hit the hangers with a quick shot of Rustoleum to prevent rust and bolted them to the rack. I haven’t used them long but they seem to work well.

A341548F-9551-4EFD-942B-A8F61605E5F6.jpeg

9CDADA30-375E-4DD6-8AB5-CB992AD9CDC2.jpeg

47DEC08E-F26D-4287-9F29-158B9F125216.jpeg

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I thought about using the quick fists. They are a pretty simple solution and make accessing things way easier than what I currently have. But, I read some pretty bad reviews on longevity and durability of these things. I really wanted them to work, but I couldn't force my self to buy something that, from what I read, has a tendency to break. Love the idea though and it looks great!

Reactions: J.W.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey Mark - thanks for another nicely done video on an interesting topic.

I have a hard time keeping my Gransförs Bruk axes or hatchet on the outside of my van or trailer. I like them too much, really, and exposing high quality steel to the elements regularly just increases the amount of time necessary to keep them in the shape I prefer. Additionally, time and hassle spent mounting and unmounting from rack brackets, as you allude to in your vid, is something I avoid.

My axes and hatchet have a dedicated spot inside my van. Though I am fixing a spot to mount my Forest ax inside the rear door, where it will be handy all the time. My mid-size kind of lives strapped to my go-pack for bushcraft and canoe trips. The hatchet doesn't get used anywhere near as much and is kept with assorted Moraknivs inside my right rear door.

Shovels: I often keep my long-handled shovel, especially while out backcountry and camping, exposed to the weather and simply ball-bungeed to the uprights for my trailer rack. Especially if it's gotten dirty. I regularly clean it with spray from my faucet or shower hose and then oil it lightly. When not camping or likely to be needed as much, it lives on top of my packing but under the rolling tonneau cover on my trailer, and occasionally on the floor alongside my bike in the van.

Shovel most always lives where it is on the right in the image below.

packinglanes-2-900.jpg

When I had a small homestead, I made a little lined sandpit I'd put a bit of used motor oil in, just for cleaning/oiling tools. I'd occasionally run my shovels, hoes and pick-axes etc through the sand. Cleaned rust and oiled 'em all up at the same time. A nice trick I learned from an old farmer in Kentucky. He used to dip his dogs in a 55 gal drum of used motor oil, too, to rid them of mange. I did not adopt that use :grinning:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I picked up a couple of conduit hangers at the hardware store for $2 and grabbed a pack of Quick Fists while I was there. Then I hit the hangers with a quick shot of Rustoleum to prevent rust and bolted them to the rack. I haven’t used them long but they seem to work well.

View attachment 144641

View attachment 144642

View attachment 144643
Probably just fine for on a trail, but I have to wonder whether or not these hold up in a crash at highway speeds. I imagine the shovel becomes a projectile

Andrew Leach

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX
Member #

I mount both my axe and shovel vertically on my rear bumper with quick fists. Have bounced around plenty with minimal movement. Some issues re theft deterrence though..to be safe if I pull them into 4Runner cab if parking overnight unattended. Lots of versatility with the quick fists. No degradation in 18 months I've had them. There are a few vendors who make quick fist attachment points which is pretty handy.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Probably just fine for on a trail, but I have to wonder whether or not these hold up in a crash at highway speeds. I imagine the shovel becomes a projectile
Giggle.

Quick fists aren't going anywhere. Solid functional mounts developed after fire fighting hangers in lockers and bunk cabinets on fire trucks. Ive used them for years. I do however, replace them once a year. My rig sees a lot of variance in weather. 106° in the summer and -10° winters at our cabin and I don't trust that they would break on the trail, get caught in the car wash, etc. I keep extras in my MOLLE bags with my other bits and pieces. Only change I have now is that both ax and shovel are on the same side. Awning goes on the other.

IMG-2527.JPG

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
I have the TRD Pro half rack on my 4Runner, so I'm a bit limited on mounting locations. Luckily, my maxtrax mounts have enough space underneath for me to tuck a short axe in.

D39E853D-D612-40E6-AA8F-D3BB92896FC2.jpeg

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

It doesn't move back and forth at all since the contact points are rubber. Also, my shovel has a D handle so it would have to break the entire mount to go flying. If there is enough force for that, the shovel is the least of our worries.

Reactions: TexasGMG

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Giggle.

Quick fists aren't going anywhere. Solid functional mounts developed after fire fighting hangers in lockers and bunk cabinets on fire trucks. Ive used them for years. I do however, replace them once a year. My rig sees a lot of variance in weather. 106° in the summer and -10° winters at our cabin and I don't trust that they would break on the trail, get caught in the car wash, etc. I keep extras in my MOLLE bags with my other bits and pieces. Only change I have now is that both ax and shovel are on the same side. Awning goes on the other.

View attachment 144726
I do see your point. However, what about those relatively puny conduit clamps? I suppose I'd feel better with something more substantial holding the fist on. And while we dont get temps over 100° F very often, we do get very cold for long spells at a time. That type of plastic and rubber might get very brittle, I dont know. Anyone here in northern environs with these able to chime in?

Maybe I'd feel less apprehensive using this system just to secure it within the bed of my truck. I dont know. That was some pretty heavy duty hardware in the video the OP posted. That type of thing makes me feel better about having things you tend to the outside if they will be there while I'm on the highway.

Reactions: Embark With Mark

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

However, what about those relatively puny conduit clamps?
I can hang from the clamps with my full weight. They aren’t going anywhere. Mark asked what people use and this is what I use. I’m sure the mount he installed is VERY nice (Great vid BTW @Embark With Mark ) It’s also pretty expensive and I offered my solution.

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
My $25 Lowes short handled shovel is mounted to the inside of the bed with fist clamps bolted to some aluminum strap. My axe is mounted inside the cab, against the rear wall, with fist clamps.

shovel.jpg