Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Hi,

I'm curious about the various solutions people have come up with for carrying water and for dispensing it when needed. Especially those that are using vehicles only, and not trailers.

How much water do you carry? And how long are you relying on it? How often do you refill?

I'm using a 50l water tank from Front Runner, the slanted tank.

I can put it in either directly behind the back seats with the angle towards the front, though I have found putting it in the back on the driver side, with the sound facing the back of the vehicle is more convenient. The fill spout and the drain are both towards the back of the vehicle, which makes it easy to fill, and to pull the hose out and open the valve and get water out. I have two valves, one at the base of the tank and one at the end of the hose, I can close the one at the tank and drain the hose and not worry about water leaking.

Right now I'm using gravity to dispense the water. Basically I hold the nozzle down below the tank when the valve is open and dispense water as needed.

I've got a 12 v water pump with a feeder hose that I think I can mount to the top of the tank and create a pressured dispenser but I haven't gone that far mainly because the gravity feed has worked well for me.

This set up has given myself, my daughter, and my father more than adequate water for 3 or so days without refills, including water for drinking, cooking, and cleaning, including our hydration packs when hiking. With conservation in mind, I figure it should keep us with water for 4 to 5 days, and possibly more if we were really careful. Of course, I'm using the roughly 1 gallon of water per day per person formula.

The only downside is the hose keeps getting in the way, and I broke the plastic handle on the outer water valve when things shifted inside and I didn't see things get put on the hose.

Always on the lookout for better solutions, what have you found to be a convenient way to carry and manage your water while traveling?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ditch

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I have the smaller 40l Front Runner one tucked behind my fridge on the same slide. Makes it easier to access to fill. Mine’s also gravity fed. I used the kit that I got with the tank. I just have to remember to open and close the filler cap to allow the water to flow as well as the tap. I also carry a separate 20l jerry can mainly for the vehicle but I could use it in an emergency. Can’t say I’ve ever been dependant on it as usually also picked up bottled water in towns which we’ve used for drinking. So my water tank has been mainly used for cooking and boiling for tea/coffee or washing up.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I made 2 PVC pipe tubes 6ft long and 10 inches wide. One end is caped off and the other cap has a water faucet on it. On top is and air fitting to pressurize the tube if gravity is not enough, the fill cap is on the top also. 1-32 bottle case of water and 6 -1 gallon water jugs. Got a pin hole in a 5 gallon jug one time and at the end of the drive the water was gone.

Reactions: Ditch

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

I made 2 PVC pipe tubes 6ft long and 10 inches wide. One end is caped off and the other cap has a water faucet on it. On top is and air fitting to pressurize the tube if gravity is not enough, the fill cap is on the top also. 1-32 bottle case of water and 6 -1 gallon water jugs. Got a pin hole in a 5 gallon jug one time and at the end of the drive the water was gone.
Excellent point about having back up and separate containers so you're not in trouble if one springs a leak...

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
We have a 42 GAL food grade water tank in the truck (rear seat removed) with a 12V pump to get it out. Plenty for two people, for a week, with showers and cleaning and drinking. Fill as needed during fuel fill ups.

Reactions: Horse Soldier