Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

That’s exactly what I’ve been looking into. I don’t think I have a need for 35s. Plus, to make it right, I’d need to regear. At 33s, I could get away with the GM front lift kit. If I add a winch and bumper, maybe use the Peak suspension coils to handle the extra weight.

But the 255 option has me intrigued and sounds like a great option.
If you don't want to do a ton of trimming then stick with a 255 or at the widest an LT275/70/17 which basically looks the same as the LT285/70/17 for the most part and is only .4" shorter than the P285. My dream tire would be a 265/80/17 or 275/75/17. :) Something in that 265-275 width but 33" to 34" diameter. The 34x10.5 KO2 doesn't count because it is actually way shorter than 34" and the price is ridiculous.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

If you're good about your tire and wheel selection you can stay at or pretty close to the stock tire and wheel weight and that will lower the impact on mpg,drivetrain , ect ect . If not as big of a jump as a real 4x4 but on my Forester I went from the stock 215/60r16 to a 235/75r15 and actualy ended up 2lbs lighter and gained 2 mpg on the freeway.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
If you don't want to do a ton of trimming then stick with a 255 or at the widest an LT275/70/17 which basically looks the same as the LT285/70/17 for the most part and is only .4" shorter than the P285. My dream tire would be a 265/80/17 or 275/75/17. :) Something in that 265-275 width but 33" to 34" diameter. The 34x10.5 KO2 doesn't count because it is actually way shorter than 34" and the price is ridiculous.

I'm assuming you have trimmed the bottom back of the front wheelwell on your Canyon, how much to you remove? I've read that getting the front castor to 4*+ gives a lot more clearance. SPC is working on adjustable UCA's for the ZR's, they have them for the non ZR.

These are not cheap but seeing that the hi angle GM UCA is $500+ they are a bargain. Now if they just offered a stronger front CV that didn't cost 3K.

Reactions: JCWages

SilverShadow

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
States
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BQG
Tire weight is my concern also. I find several tires that would fill my needs but they double the weight in some cases. I have P rated Duratracs, these are fairly light weight, a little lacking in sidewall strength.
I'm leaning toward the 255/75 or 255/80. I like the falken wildpeak at3w in 255 but it's only avaliable as a mud tire, very aggressive and probably very noisy. I can go up one size in the Duratrac (265/70) gain 1" and 18lbs.

If you ever get a chance to drive a Colorado with the trifecta tune you need to try it. It improved my mileage, trans shift points, and I have extra power at the flip of a switch to enable Sport mode. The 4.10's with the Trifecta made my 3.6 V6 a whole different truck.
Madcratebuilder, it looks from your thumbnail pic like you are driving a ZR2. If that is correct, I am curious how the trifecta tune and 4.10 gears impacted things like the off-road mode, if at all. I also drive a ZR2 and have been looking at the 255/75 tire size with the holes it will not rub but gives a little more sidewall.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I know the answer is "depends", and there are a lot of factors in deciding how big to go. Looking at rigs online, seems like a lot of folks like to run 35s, 37s and even 40s, which often requires adding a lift and re-hearing, etc. But then you look at other vehicles where going up to a 31 or 33s is plenty. However, it seems there is this push to going bigger.

What made you decide to increase the size of your tire? what size did you go to? and did it really expand where you could go?

Or, did you keep stock tire sizes and got something with better grip to expand where you could go? and why did you stay on stock sizes? Do you feel that's big enough?

To answer my own question:
I have a stock 98 Tacoma with 31s. I've had it since 2000. I've been able to do a some off-roading over the years, and have rarely felt the need get bigger tires, and then have to do all the additional mods to make them fit and for the truck to run well.
My desision was easy. Chevy had this affinity to put 245x75x16 tires on their OEM offering. They looked stupid in those huge wheel-wells. So many people complained, and put on 265x75x16 tires that GM was forced to put out a software update that brought the speedometer and fuel mtg back into calibration. Many of us went to a 33" tire...aka...285x75x16 tires which filled the fender openings much better, and looked correct in profile. GM refused a software fix to this size. Many 'chipped' their trucks to get the calibration back in line.

Honestly if you go over a 33 inch tire, you are getting into drive-line mods to make them live, unless you are careful with your right foot. How many of us have seen those go pedals being applied with gusto, and your just waiting to see a sudden grab of traction and the following "TINK" as an axle/CV joint goes south.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Madcratebuilder, it looks from your thumbnail pic like you are driving a ZR2. If that is correct, I am curious how the trifecta tune and 4.10 gears impacted things like the off-road mode, if at all. I also drive a ZR2 and have been looking at the 255/75 tire size with the holes it will not rub but gives a little more sidewall.
Off-road tires should not be a P-Metric, unless you stick to groomed fire roads. A "D"-rated tire is much better. If your doing back road adventures....aka...off road, you might consider a E rated tire, even with the weight penalty.

SilverShadow

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
States
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BQG
Off-road tires should not be a P-Metric, unless you stick to groomed fire roads. A "D"-rated tire is much better. If your doing back road adventures....aka...off road, you might consider a E rated tire, even with the weight penalty.
Definitely will be looking at E rated tires. Thanks for the comment. I am looking to get the tallest tire without doing cutting or trimming and would prefer to not regear as I presume that would void warranty. Have been on several FS trails in the Ozark NF without any problems but know a taller, stronger sidewall is needed.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Bought my ZR2 2 years ago, first mod was the Pedal Commander to help the throttle by wire and transmission shifting. This made a major drivability improvement with the truck. After a year I went with the Trifecta and sold the PC. The Trifecta made even more improvements on shifting, the tune has two modes, ECO is improved trans with a near oem tune, SPORT gives you the Tq and HP increase. I run in Eco most all the time. Off road mode feels about the same other than shift points are a little better. When off road I generally run the trans in M and limit top gear to 4th or 5th.

Installing the 4.10's gave the truck better control at low speed like when crawling, 1st gear is really low when in 4x low. I feel the truck has the power to break parts in 1st or 2nd gear, low range. The front diff is a 7.25 ring gear...tiny.

I agree with you on the 255/75 tire, depending on brand they are 32.2 to 32.6, the oem 265/65 is 30.6. I'm thinking the 255/75 gives you better traction, increase in ground clearance but not to the point of over stressing the drivetrain.

I have a full set of Super Skidz so I haven't been worried about the undercarriage. I did get high centered on a rotten log that I winched myself off of.

SilverShadow

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
States
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BQG
Bought my ZR2 2 years ago, first mod was the Pedal Commander to help the throttle by wire and transmission shifting. This made a major drivability improvement with the truck. After a year I went with the Trifecta and sold the PC. The Trifecta made even more improvements on shifting, the tune has two modes, ECO is improved trans with a near oem tune, SPORT gives you the Tq and HP increase. I run in Eco most all the time. Off road mode feels about the same other than shift points are a little better. When off road I generally run the trans in M and limit top gear to 4th or 5th.

Installing the 4.10's gave the truck better control at low speed like when crawling, 1st gear is really low when in 4x low. I feel the truck has the power to break parts in 1st or 2nd gear, low range. The front diff is a 7.25 ring gear...tiny.

I agree with you on the 255/75 tire, depending on brand they are 32.2 to 32.6, the oem 265/65 is 30.6. I'm thinking the 255/75 gives you better traction, increase in ground clearance but not to the point of over stressing the drivetrain.

I have a full set of Super Skidz so I haven't been worried about the undercarriage. I did get high centered on a rotten log that I winched myself off of.
I have had mine for a little less than 2 years. It is a 2018. I put Leer camper shell, BedSlide, RhinoRack roof rack on the shell, auxiliary battery with National Luna dual battery charging system, and lights. Have not changed drive train at all. As I am now looking to add a winch and skid plates I am concerned about weight which will impact springs which will all ultimately impact tire size. Desert Runner’s comment about E rated tires is valid. Seems like options in the LT255/75R17 are few. Good look with the rest of your build. How do you like the Midwest winch mount?

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
The Midwest mount is slick, zeon 12-s perfect fit, I also added the Midwest light bar. Mount, bar and winch are between 100-120lbs. I used the rc912 5/8 thick spacer to level the nose of the truck, feels and drives like stock. One other choice to look at is the 589FAB steel half bumper/winch mount, nice looking unit.

589Fab bumper

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I'm assuming you have trimmed the bottom back of the front wheelwell on your Canyon, how much to you remove? I've read that getting the front castor to 4*+ gives a lot more clearance. SPC is working on adjustable UCA's for the ZR's, they have them for the non ZR.
Instead of cutting the waffle I moved it forward quite a bit. I don't have rubbing up front. It's on the plastic trim piece at the back of the wheel well and the liner on the inside back of the well. The trim piece is the hardest part to clearance and still look clean but I have an idea that involves cutting and plastic welding it back together. lol

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

My stock tires were 205.75R15's. They're really tiny. 27 inches for those who don't do metric. After I installing the first lift on I went with 32x11.5R15's BFG AT's. My main complaint with the tire being it's an oddball size and it's performance in the rain. I lived in a place where it would rain just about every day. The AT's would bulldoze through water and start to hydroplane with minimal water on the roads. When it was time to get new tires, I went with 35x12.5R15 Goodyear MTR's. The MT's handled standing water on roads a lot better not to mention they were better off road as well. Since moving back stateside, I drive on road a lot more and the performance was starting to become an issue. Where I was living 50 mph was speed limit.

So when it came time, I went with 33x10.5R15 BFG KM2's. They are 6 lbs lighter than the same tire in 33x12.5R15 which makes a big difference. Not to mention the difference from just going from 35's to 33's. The only downside to the skinny 33's is that BFG doesn't make as many tires per-year and there are times when they become unavailable. Not to mention there are only a few companies that make tires in this size. BFG, General, Dick Cepek and Toyo, I think.

I've done the Rubicon Trail with these tires and can say for sure that they do fine. The tire also make the Jeep a sleeper as it doesn't have an aggressive bulldog stance anymore. No need for extended flares. It's a nice compromise between roadworthiness and off-roadability for what I need but that changes from vehicle to vehicle. Generally speaking, I like 33's-35's for most vehicles.

jpence

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Pence
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DJM
I think it totally depends on the rig. I debated for a long time before I got tires for my Pathfinder. I ended up with 31x10.5x15 and I’m super happy with them. I have about three inches of lift and I only needed to do minimal trimming to the front inner fender and bumper cover to have no rub at lock. Originally I wanted 33x10.5, but they were odd ball size and there are potential offset issues for the front struts. I contemplated 32” but they were even more odd ball. Ultimately I am very happy with my KO2’s in 31. IMG_4406.jpeg

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I think it totally depends on the rig. I debated for a long time before I got tires for my Pathfinder. I ended up with 31x10.5x15 and I’m super happy with them. I have about three inches of lift and I only needed to do minimal trimming to the front inner fender and bumper cover to have no rub at lock. Originally I wanted 33x10.5, but they were odd ball size and there are potential offset issues for the front struts. I contemplated 32” but they were even more odd ball. Ultimately I am very happy with my KO2’s in 31. View attachment 98855
They look great and appropriate for the rig. Good choice!

Red Stick

Rank 0

Contributor I

305/65r18 (34x12) Falkens on a GM half ton with a 2.25 strut spacer front level/ lift.

Seem to be a good balance of ground clearance/ off road capability and on road manners.

SilverShadow

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
States
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BQG

Have you found any LT255/75R17 tires that have a load rating of E?

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Have you found any LT255/75R17 tires that have a load rating of E?
There's not many Es available in an AT but you have some choices in C. The Cooper ST Maxx in that size is a C but given how tough the ST Maxx is I would put it up against most Es any day of the week. They run a little small like the KO2 so with a little trimming you can size up to the 255/80/17 (32.8") on a ZR2.

Tons of E options in the 255/80/17..... No peer pressure though. :smilingimp:

SilverShadow

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
States
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BQG
There's not many Es available in an AT but you have some choices in C. The Cooper ST Maxx in that size is a C but given how tough the ST Maxx is I would put it up against most Es any day of the week. They run a little small like the KO2 so with a little trimming you can size up to the 255/80/17 (32.8") on a ZR2.

Tons of E options in the 255/80/17..... No peer pressure though. :smilingimp:
Thanks for the info. Now, what to do?

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Get the ST Maxx in load range C. It will fit no problem. If you like to really like to flog the truck off-road and need the extra protection and ground clearance then step up to the 80 and get whatever tire strikes your fancy. The Wildpeak AT3W, ST Maxx, Ridge Grappler, Open Country, etc. are all good choices. :)

Be sure to check other retailers and the manufacturer websites. Sometimes retailers don't list a size as available but the manufacturer does offer them.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

For a daily driven / overland vehicle I've been a fan of "next size up" on the tires. Adds a little weight, but not much more strain or wear. My truck came with 32's stock, I run 33's without issue. 35's would look killer, but then we are talking gearing, wheels, less mpg, etc...