How bare bones do you go for a short trip?

• HTML tutorial

Viking Justice

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Justice
Member #

I’m talking roughly a three day trip. Do you do a full load out or do you have a minimalist kit that you roll with. I have a camping box that I can just snag and toss in the back of my Jeep that has everything but my cot and sleeping bag in it. Has my tent, stakes, ground tarp, battery powered lanterns w/extra batteries, tp, fire starting kit and other essentials. I can load that box, my cot, sleeping bag, and a cooler with food supplies and be solid for up to three days if I’m just getting away. Of course if I’m fishing or hunting there’s other thing to consider, but I’m talking just get out in nature for a couple days. So, what do you run with for this type of short trip..?

defran

Rank 0

Contributor I

Poconos
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
DeFrancesco
since I have the decked system in my tundra, and RTT, I just toss in a cooler or fridge and go. all the basics I keep in the drawers of my bed. more than that, I will take a power station, solar, the 12v fridge and my camping box, that has a bigger kitchen set up.

Reactions: Viking Justice

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Everything is prepacked on my shelving. Most of the stuff doesn't change whether I'm going out for a night or weeks other than how much food and clothing I'm carrying. For an overnighter I probably won't rig up my pressurized water either and just toss a 5 gallon jug in there.

Viking Justice

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Justice
Member #

I am trying...every trip I take a little less but leave something I need/wanted behind and had something that I didn't use. This is a learning curve.
It seems like the same thing happens to me, but it has never been anything I haven't been able to do without.

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
Everything is prepacked on my shelving. Most of the stuff doesn't change whether I'm going out for a night or weeks other than how much food and clothing I'm carrying. For an overnighter I probably won't rig up my pressurized water either and just toss a 5 gallon jug in there.
Good idea. A basic kit for whatever.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I was an Ultralight backpacker in my younger days. I have trained myself to need very little for multiple days. It was never fun though.
I have been slowly adding pieces to my kit, but I can easily slim down for a hunting trip or a quick weekend scout. Typically I only would use my MSR stove, a Mtn House meal and black coffee in the AM. I need only one set of clothes. I dont need a cooler or any thing like that ( I dont drink so no booze needs) I always have my recovery gear and a saw in the car anyway... so I may add my recovery boards if its muddy or snowy and I can be gone for as many days as I have packs of Mtn House.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

It also depends on where you are going. If you will not be out that far you can tend to go more bare bones, but if you are more remote, I would suggest having extra supplies for a few extra days in case you have to stay longer than expected.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Solo trips weekend without my wife typically end up being what fits into my 32L pack like any other weekend backpack trip in my younger days. If I'm feeling bougie I'll pack the exped mattress as well.

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
I was an Ultralight backpacker in my younger days. I have trained myself to need very little for multiple days. It was never fun though.
I have been slowly adding pieces to my kit, but I can easily slim down for a hunting trip or a quick weekend scout. Typically I only would use my MSR stove, a Mtn House meal and black coffee in the AM. I need only one set of clothes. I dont need a cooler or any thing like that ( I dont drink so no booze needs) I always have my recovery gear and a saw in the car anyway... so I may add my recovery boards if its muddy or snowy and I can be gone for as many days as I have packs of Mtn House.

I'm working on that too.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I pack what I need for the specific trip. If I don't plan to stay the same place each night, I'll leave the cot and tent at home and sleep in the back seat of my truck. I even prefer instant coffee, so, no filters and fewer moving parts.

ChambersFamily

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Plains, OR, USA
First Name
Marshall
Last Name
Chambers
Member #

The truck is pretty set for the most part, have bags folded into the rtt, recovery gear, a lot of equipment on it. If it were JUST me, I can fill my roto with fresh water, have a few dehydrated meals, a pot to boil mayyyybe the jet boil if I'm feeling fancy and I'd be good to go for at least 3 days... drinks and spirits would be luxury :tearsofjoy:

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I feel like I pack the damn house...3 or 4 storage/organization boxes, cooler, tent, air mattress, food, Coleman stove, Jackery power supply, water container (plus spare full one should it rupture), etc. It fills the back of the pickup. On one hand I wish I didn’t pack so much stuff, but once I’m out there it is nice having the stuff I bring. I was only out 3 nights but dang near used everything I brought including the chainsaw, full size shovel, dutch oven, cast iron skillet, Slumberjack Roadhouse tarp, Lifetime table....

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
I feel like I pack the damn house...3 or 4 storage/organization boxes, cooler, tent, air mattress, food, Coleman stove, Jackery power supply, water container (plus spare full one should it rupture), etc. It fills the back of the pickup. On one hand I wish I didn’t pack so much stuff, but once I’m out there it is nice having the stuff I bring. I was only out 3 nights but dang near used everything I brought including the chainsaw, full size shovel, dutch oven, cast iron skillet, Slumberjack Roadhouse tarp, Lifetime table....
Amen...I have the same disease!