How bad for your engine to idle for 8 hours?

• HTML tutorial

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Here's some interesting info from Motor Vehicle Maintenance and Repair - Is Idling Bad For Your Engine

Aside from financial and environmental considerations, U.S. and Canadian governmental agencies say that idling produces various negative effects on engine components.

During idling engine does not work at its most efficient mode, and the fuel combustion is incomplete. That leads to glazing of combustion chamber and reducing effectiveness of spark plugs in petrol engines (plugs with heavy deposits can foul, and that can reduce fuel consumption by 4 to 5%). Also petrol can contaminate the motor oil which reduces its lubricating qualities (that could mean more frequent oil changes and/or increased wear on the engine).

Also, as the engine runs at less than ideal operating temperature, which causes water vapour (a product of combustion) to accumulate in exhaust system (at proper temperature and at higher speed of exiting gasses caused by increased RPMs it clears out pretty good), which leads to corrosion. Also, idling produces up to 10–12% more emissions than driving for the same amount of petrol used due to incomplete combustion and ineffective operation of catalytic converter.
As I mentioned above, public service vehicles have heavier duty engines and maintenance and mechanical staff available. You can count on their vehicles being maintained and worked on more regularly than the common consumer's car. Their vehicles are also not expected to last as long, in most cases, as consumer vehicles as they know they're going to rotate them out for new vehicles within a couple years. I would not use the fact that cops and ambulance drivers may idle their vehicles for long periods as excuse to do the same with your own.

Reactions: Lindenwood and Tim

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

E
Here's some interesting info from Motor Vehicle Maintenance and Repair - Is Idling Bad For Your Engine

Aside from financial and environmental considerations, U.S. and Canadian governmental agencies say that idling produces various negative effects on engine components.

During idling engine does not work at its most efficient mode, and the fuel combustion is incomplete. That leads to glazing of combustion chamber and reducing effectiveness of spark plugs in petrol engines (plugs with heavy deposits can foul, and that can reduce fuel consumption by 4 to 5%). Also petrol can contaminate the motor oil which reduces its lubricating qualities (that could mean more frequent oil changes and/or increased wear on the engine).

Also, as the engine runs at less than ideal operating temperature, which causes water vapour (a product of combustion) to accumulate in exhaust system (at proper temperature and at higher speed of exiting gasses caused by increased RPMs it clears out pretty good), which leads to corrosion. Also, idling produces up to 10–12% more emissions than driving for the same amount of petrol used due to incomplete combustion and ineffective operation of catalytic converter.
As I mentioned above, public service vehicles have heavier duty engines and maintenance and mechanical staff available. You can count on their vehicles being maintained and worked on more regularly than the common consumer's car. Their vehicles are also not expected to last as long, in most cases, as consumer vehicles as they know they're going to rotate them out for new vehicles within a couple years. I would not use the fact that cops and ambulance drivers may idle their vehicles for long periods as excuse to do the same with your own.

Road, I forgot to thank you for adding this info! I was long convinced, but it is still really valuable to see :) .

Ordered the battery isolator! Been researching good secondary batteries now, and figuring out exactly where to put the MaxxFan.

I always wanted to ruin a perfectly good vehicle by cutting a big hole in the roof :P .

Reactions: Graeman

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Road, I forgot to thank you for adding this info! I was long convinced, but it is still really valuable to see :) .

Ordered the battery isolator! Been researching good secondary batteries now, and figuring out exactly where to put the MaxxFan.

I always wanted to ruin a perfectly good vehicle by cutting a big hole in the roof :P .
My pleasure, @Lindenwood.

As for cutting a hole in a perfectly good roof, you might find this how-to piece interesting. It's not a MaxxAir, but for a Fan-Tastic Vent, with same process overall. I wrote it almost five years ago for an expediter's forum. It's the same fan I am using now, same van: Installing Fan-Tastic Roof Vent On GMC Vans - a lot of the technique will be the same for your vehicle. You won't be able to open the images there unless an EO member.

You can open them here on my site, though it only has Part One, not Part Two: Installing A Fan-Tastic Roof Vent In A Cargo Van

I need to add Part Two there sometime soon, as well as make a good front page and more.

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
What about making a "swamp cooler" out of a 5 gal bucket or old cooler. Just do a google search for "diy air conditioner".

Basically a container, block of ice and a small fan (a PC size cpu fan would be fine).

Plug that into your cig lighter or use a back-up motorcycle battery to save cranking battery.
I agree with Eric. I've been thinking about making something like this to try it and see how it works. This could be done really cheap as an experiment and if it works you could make a better looking system. I'm thinking frozen milk jugs could provide several hours of cooling. There are 12 volt ac systems for boats and tractor/trailer sized trucks that you could check out too. Not sure of the cost on these though.

El Matador

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston
Honestly, as long as you keep up your maintenance and oil changes, you’re good.

I’m a field engineer and basically live/work out of my truck for 3 weeks out of the month. I’m on site for 14-18 hrs a day when I’m working, and my truck needs to be on (I mostly work in South Texas).

I’m on my third work truck of my career, and my engines have always been in pristine shape since I maintain them religiously, all my car related issues have been due to other factors. You’re not going to run into any issues for idling your truck with the AC on for 8 hrs every few weeks.

In fact, I’m writing this from inside my truck, which has been on for the last 8 hrs idling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FJ81 and Lindenwood

Chris Owens

Rank II

Advocate II

Vermont
Member #

I would do a rooftop fan. Add a dedicated battery or do a small solar set up. That being said we have a retired ambulance that’s 15 years old with a 7.3 turbo diesel. It’s runs like a new vehicle. However, as others have stated the fumes could be an issue. I’m sure you could rig up a exhaust tube to route it away from the vehicle though. There are lots of online videos of people doing diy things to stay cool when car camping.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Stone Johnny Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Williston, ND
Member #

In my line of work. I let my Toyota Tundra idle for 12 hours a day, 5 days a week. All winter and all summer with the AC on. I have yet to have a problem on either one of my Tundras. It’s my office and I will be comfortable. To me, it’s easy to let the vehicle run all night if I had or needed to.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

El Matador

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston
In my line of work. I let my Toyota Tundra idle for 12 hours a day, 5 days a week. All winter and all summer with the AC on. I have yet to have a problem on either one of my Tundras. It’s my office and I will be comfortable. To me, it’s easy to let the vehicle run all night if I had or needed to.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Greetings, fellow oil field worker. (Its the only thing I can think of lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

Like DaveT mentioned, lots of the ambulances have a high idle option. Shuttle busses and certain pickups and vans I move have this feature. It helps keep the extra items running and increases oil pressure too. It is very common in the trucking industry to idle up the motors to keep the oil pressure higher, and to avoid having so much unburnt fuel. I deliver lots of vehicles to companies all over the country in hot and cold climates. As long as you maintain them properly, they should be good to go. Modern diesels with the emissions filters will have more issues because of this though. Your dpf filter will clog up faster.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Hrmm. I had actually been planning to make an idle-up switch to help with winching loads, so maybe it could perform double duty should I ever need to do that.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Lindenwood, An Ice chest air conditioner. I had thought about this one. An ice chest, block of ice, a 90 degree pvc tube, a small electric fan, and a small solar panel. The block of ice in the ice chest, cut a hole in the ice chest lid for the 90 degree pvc tube that will point to you, another hole in the ice chest lid for the fan to point into and the solar panel to power the battery to run all night. No use of the car, no fumes. Its suppose to blow cold air into the area you want. I went to youtube and typed in 'ice chest air conditioner with ice' and the how to's showed up.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Lindenwood, An Ice chest air conditioner. I had thought about this one. An ice chest, block of ice, a 90 degree pvc tube, a small electric fan, and a small solar panel. The block of ice in the ice chest, cut a hole in the ice chest lid for the 90 degree pvc tube that will point to you, another hole in the ice chest lid for the fan to point into and the solar panel to power the battery to run all night. No use of the car, no fumes. Its suppose to blow cold air into the area you want. I went to youtube and typed in 'ice chest air conditioner with ice' and the how to's showed up.
I have seen and pondered on those, but we'll see!

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Th
That is a cool idea.
I used to drive a Duramax (when I used to transport vehicles) and at times I would have to leave the engine running all night to stay warm (-27 in North Dakota) and cool in humid Texas summers. I had the def & dpf removed on my truck. The owners manual on 2011 and newer diesels recommends that you do not idle for long periods of time. If you exhaust goes in to regen while you are asleep you might notice the floor getting very hot, as there is no breeze to cool off the 1500 degree engine regen that is going on. Tall grass will catch on fire if touching the exhaust for long periods of time.

Reactions: Inthewoods

Influencer II

Is it too hot for you two, to leave your windows rolled down, and have them covered with a mesh so bugs don't come in? This is what I normally do during hot summer nights and I roll into camp late at night/too lazy to get everything out.

KaneNorth

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Hudson's Hope British Columbia
First Name
Brody
Last Name
Kane
Member #

When I have been working in the Arctic and other parts of northern Canada we idle the work trucks all winter. They’ll kind of run rough at idle after a while. Probably won’t hurt much if you only do it overnight once in a while. But a small portable generator might be a better option, they can be fairly quiet.

Last edited: