Hotrodsonny's M416 Overland Trailer Build.

• HTML tutorial

Rocky Rubicon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Member #

I decided to build this M416 trailer into an Overland Trailer, it came to me in real nice condition including a new axle with electric brakes, rear bumper, tailgate mod, bed liner and updated electrical. I am going to document the build to possibly give others some ideas should they want to build a M416 into an adventure trailer.00A0A_6LBtMMFEG2x_600x450.jpg

Rocky Rubicon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Member #

To start off, I cut off the tail light mounts and welded them towards the rear and lower so I could use the area for a propane tank mount, I mounted the Propane tank (Looks Nice)
Manchester Tank Equip 10054.3 5lb Propane Tank
though the tanks are also available at Ace hardware and your local propane company.

I am having an aluminum top made by Webb Welding in Spirit Lake, Idaho. I just got off line ordering the hinges, lift shocks and latches for the new top, also ordered two 10 liter jerry cans and mounts, Now I'm trying to decide whether to take the spare tire mount off the front and mount the it on the rear tailgate in order to facilitate a trailer tongue box up front. DSC_0370.JPG DSC_0371.JPG

Rocky Rubicon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Member #

This should be sweet! Roughly how much does one in decent condition run?
They are all over the board as for price, I just passed one up for $350 but the floor was completely rusted out and it was starting to crawl up the sides. I have also noticed it depends on the area you live in, some places like here on the west coast they want a premium price where as some eastern and southern areas are priced from $300 to $900 depending on condition, I will say I paid a Premium price for this one but everything was already done, which in the end will save me both time and money, I really didn't want a ground up restoration so this M416 really worked for me!

Reactions: LCM_Scott

LCM_Scott

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hilton, New York, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Borden
Member #

They are all over the board as for price, I just passed one up for $350 but the floor was completely rusted out and it was starting to crawl up the sides. I have also noticed it depends on the area you live in, some places like here on the west coast they want a premium price where as some eastern and southern areas are priced from $300 to $900 depending on condition, I will say I paid a Premium price for this one but everything was already done, which in the end will save me both time and money, I really didn't want a ground up restoration so this M416 really worked for me!
Awesome, thanks for the info I will begin my search! Cant wait to see what else you do with yours!

Rocky Rubicon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Member #

I tried installing full size Jerry cans and while I got them to fit, they were just to closed to the edge and I could see them getting hit on trees and rocks in tight situations, then I tried laying them down and I just didn't like the look, so I ordered two of the 10 liter half sized jerry cans which will still allow me to carry 5 extra gallons with me and move's the cans closer to the trailer body and away from danger I also added some pretty hefty chains for security purposes, Sadly there are to many sticky fingers out there today!
DSC_0434.JPG DSC_0433.JPG

Reactions: GHQ1 and LCM_Scott

Rocky Rubicon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Member #

I also tried one of the Scepter Jerry Can Mods, where you attach a hose bib and a Schrader valve to the cap so you can pressurize the can and use it as a shower. I guess it works good but truthfully when the sides of the can bulge outward from the air pressure it makes me a little nervous, I may try the Black 4" ABS pipe shower mod instead. Looks a little more sturdy to me. I would hate to blow out a Plastic Scepter Jerry can and loose 5 gallons of water out in the middle of no where! Both the Jerry can mod and the ABS shower mod can be found on YouTube.
DSC_0437.JPG

Last edited:

Rocky Rubicon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Member #

Oh and if you get the plastic Scepter Jerry cans remember to get the Scepter cap wrench as it is hard to get a good seal when tightening it by hand and once you do, getting the cap off without the wrench is a painful experience, The cheapest I found a darn cap wrench is $29.95 which seems a little spendy for a piece of plastic. However, if you don't get one you will wish you did!

Rocky Rubicon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Member #

Lots done. I'm tired...lol. Mounted new aluminum top and a handle on the lift side, installed a Jerry can on the front with a small military storage box above it, mounted an axe on the body, a fire extinguisher on the fender and a shoval on the lid. Mounted a lockable hasp for security and made a battery tray on the left rear step. Mounted Escaper Buddy Traction devices on the aluminum top. it's coming along nicely, I bought to heavy of lift struts for the top so I am going to have to get some with less pressure. Lids weighs about 80 lbs and I got two 150lb struts which was way to much.
DSC_0440.JPG DSC_0445.JPG

Last edited:

Rocky Rubicon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Member #

Welded on some spacer blocks for the tension latches for the top, they have a locking latch so the latches will not come un done on the trail. Worked out nice! DSC_0475.JPG

Kutthroat_King

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

McHenry, IL, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Northam
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9NPZ
Thanks for sharing- some good ideas here. I'm picking mine up on Friday and already looking forward to modifying it to fit my trail and camping needs.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
That came out nice. Mine is similar and 10 odd years ago added an RTT to it. What I like is it's small and light enough to pull about anywhere.