Honeymoon 2017

• HTML tutorial

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Well as some of you know I'm engaged. The wedding is September of 2017. I told my fiancee that I would plan the honeymoon and came up with the idea of going to the Black Hills. We're heading from Minnesota to the Black Hills and want to take at least a week for the honeymoon. I've been looking at some past trips from others out that way and started thinking maybe we could make it into Wyoming as well.

We're planning on staying in a tent, but I've also got to look into what the typical weather is like out that way at that time of year. We would like to do some exploring around the area as well (it's overlanding for a reason right?) Granted we don't want to spend the whole time in the Jeep either.

Right now I've got it laid out where we'll leave Minnesota and head West towards the Black Hills. We'll stop at Wall Drug (because you have to right?) and head down towards the Badlands. We could probably spend a night or two there and then head to the Black Hills.

What do you think? Any help in planning would be greatly appreciated.

lbseals

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sout West Oregon
Member #

Sounds like a blast. I don't know that country at all but since it's a honeymoon I thought I'd mention something I learned on an early overland anniversary trip. My girl isn't so into being overly close after a few days on the trail. Baby wipe baths and no place to shaver her legs kinda killed the romance for her. All girls are different. But you might want to plan out a few places to stay where you can freshen up. Good lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I told her we could camp at Badlands National Park, but we'd have to use a hole. She said no, so definitely staying at places with showers and toilets.

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Well this is starting to come up quickly. Have places reserved, and some trails to check out thanks to @Daniel Etter. Any other must sees while we're out there? We lucked out and the time we're going it's the Buffalo Round Up so we're pretty excited to check that out. Anyone ever been to it before? Any tips?

Reactions: Daniel Etter

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

There are a few caves that are pretty cool out here that I forgot to mention. Jewel Cave near Custer is really nice but they don't allow your reservations, so you have to get there early to get a spot. Wind Cave is also amazing and has a lot of artifacts and Native American history.
Near the Badlands, the Minuteman Missile site is pretty interesting if you like Cold War history, but you have to reserve a spot. Wall drug near there the Badlands is a quirky little town that has some interesting shops and sites.
I still haven't been able to go the the Buffalo round up, but heard it is pretty cool to watch! Try to find a place early because it can get pretty busy with everyone coming to watch, also recommend bringing binoculars and a camera!
If you guys have any other interests let me know!

Last edited:
Reactions: toxicity_27

Mr. Nelson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Inwood, Iowa, United States
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZK
There is an old abandon mining town East of Lead/Deadwood that has some trails to the Northeast that lead to Camp 5. Just did that in June for my birthday and had a blast.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: TRDZILA