Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Hi @Scarecrow, and welcome to the Overland Bound forum!

I really liked the Element, and thought Honda made a mistake discontinuing it. Two people I know that had them rushed out and bought a new one when it was announced they'd be gone. It seems like it is extremely versatile, and with our experiences with Honda, extremely reliable. There's probably very little aftermarket support for it, but that doesn't stop an enthused owner. And of course, our motto here is "it doesn't matter what you drive" so you're in good company!

Here's a previous thread you might find helpful: https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/honda-element.1947/

I'm glad you found us,
Steve

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

There is or was a lot of aftermarket parts and camping gear for the Element. I think there's even a company that does pop up tents on the roof.
I almost bought one years ago, and for whatever reason I ended up with a Pickup. (Probably cuz I'm in Texas, it's a "thang" you know...)
One of my buddies has one and loves it. He doesn't camp or overland much, but hauls his dogs around a lot in it.

https://fifthelementcamping.com/
http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/campers.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Hi @Scarecrow, and welcome to the Overland Bound forum!

I really liked the Element, and thought Honda made a mistake discontinuing it. Two people I know that had them rushed out and bought a new one when it was announced they'd be gone. It seems like it is extremely versatile, and with our experiences with Honda, extremely reliable. There's probably very little aftermarket support for it, but that doesn't stop an enthused owner. And of course, our motto here is "it doesn't matter what you drive" so you're in good company!

Here's a previous thread you might find helpful: https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/honda-element.1947/

I'm glad you found us,
Steve
Steve - In their last year of production they sold some disgustingly low number of units in North America. The next year, the number tripled! I agree - they should have kept it!

My father in law has one - bought it new in 2008. He uses it for everything. We even put a Bridgeport milling machine in there once...
Don't tell my mother-in-law...

Reactions: Steve

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

My buddy has an AWD version and I'm actually amazed at its capabilities bone stock. With a small lift and more aggressive tires, it would be even better. With the rear seats removed the space behind the driver is HUGE. One day we put 5 x 55 gallon plastic barrels in the back and was able to close the hatch no problem. There is an Element Owners forum and some of the mods people have done to their Elements are crazy cool.

I wish they didn't discontinue them as I'm looking for a first vehicle for my daughter who will be coming of driving age soon. Guess I'll have to find a clean used one, hopefully in manual transmission (I just want her to learn how to drive stick).

Scarecrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Thanks for the info I have already put some general grabber at/2 on it might put a few lights on it like I said I'll prolly use it for some light off-roading down the road I'd love to get a cherokee but for now this will do

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I also really like the element have had a few friends that have owned them over the years. Some basic mods are still out there like spacer lift kits even if there is debate how good these are for the steering and suspension components they sure look cool and the extra ground clearance is nice. I really wish they included the ability to lock the Center Diff like the Ridgeline or even the Rav4. The inside layout and head space is exceptional for such a versatile car.

ZREM

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fort Collins, CO
First Name
Court
Last Name
Merz
Member #

My wife daily drives our '05 Element (khaki, 4wd, manual) and we absolutely love it. For a couple years we used it as our camping and exploration rig and it did just fine. Took it on some light trails around Ouray and got a few interesting looks from folks. Great little vehicle with amazing Honda reliability. It's also really good in the snow.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1derer