HONDA CR-V 4WD EX (Soft Roader - Daily Driver) RD1 in South New Jersey | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

HONDA CR-V 4WD EX (Soft Roader - Daily Driver) RD1 in South New Jersey

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

NJCoastal

Rank II
Adventure

Traveler III

Rancocas Woods, Mount Laurel Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mezick
Member #

@izzywolf : I'll be doing the Trans New Jersey Trail (south section) this coming weekend, so I'll be able to provide first hand information about the unibody compact SUV handling and performance sometime after the trip is over.

Stay tuned!

NJ Mullica River Wilderness Campsite Route (2020)

Last edited:

NJCoastal

Rank II
Adventure

Traveler III

Rancocas Woods, Mount Laurel Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mezick
Member #

I'm researching now for a good rig and was debating whether to get a unibody SUV, then I saw this thread. I'm thinking "wow, this is relevant!"

Can you share some advice about using a unibody SUV for Off-roading and what to consider when getting one?

Hiking in Jersey might be boring (yeah, I have high expectations. I'm from Ohio), but it's gotta be awesome to go Off-roading. I get so jealous when I see those guys with their Jeeps and FJs zooming through Wharton.

Are there any trails where they let you off-road (in NJ in general)? I always see these threatening looking signs.
I owned a 1978 Ford F-150 4X4 in the 80s. The chassis from bumper to bumper is ideal for rugged areas. The F-150’s parts have large material mass allowing it to be durable for extreme (being far beyond the norm) surfaces and heavy loads.

Photo of a 1978 Ford F-150 4X4 (not mine but it is the same color of the one I owned)

E68B3EC9-792F-49B8-AF50-404B7ED7CF81.jpeg

My 1st Generation Honda CR-V 4WD ($2000) will NEVER be driven on ALL of the same surfaces the F-150 was driven on. The parts have small material mass so it is engineered for soft surfaces (dirt, sand, gravel, and stones) and light loads.

Once you have an idea of where to drive off road (extreme or soft) then that should help to narrow the rig selection.

Last edited:
Reactions: DevilDodge