Hollister Hills trip soon. First timer, some questions.

• HTML tutorial

Influencer II

Hello all,

I've been aching to go to Hollister Hills since i've never been there before. I have a stock 4th gen 4runner, so I have a few questions.

1. Is it safe to go solo(single rig)?
2. What recovery gear should I be bringing with me?
3. What trails do you recommend I go on with a stock 4th gen 4runner?
4. I've seen videos of rigs at the top of the mountain. Is this easily accessible with a stock rig with street tires?
5. Any recommended routes I should take? Honestly, I'd just like to get out with my 4runner, play with the rig and enjoy the nice views.

Thanks

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

It is fine for going solo. A lot of people do it. To get to the Overlook is a piece of cake. A lot of stock vehicles do it. When you pay for entry they'll hand you a map that list the trails and difficulty. Just basic recovery gear is fine.

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

It is fine for going solo. A lot of people do it. To get to the Overlook is a piece of cake. A lot of stock vehicles do it. When you pay for entry they'll hand you a map that list the trails and difficulty. Just basic recovery gear is fine.
What he said. If you go on a weekend, and get into some sticky business, chances are someone can/will help you out if you ask. Safe travels!

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

Also, the weekend of May 12-14 is the Cal4Wheel Molina Ghost Run. Will be an extremely busy weekend

Influencer II

Hmm, good to know!

I've been looking at the PDF map on their website. I came across an old thread that you posted in with a video of yours. Do you remember which trails you took to get there?

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

Hmm, good to know!

I've been looking at the PDF map on their website. I came across an old thread that you posted in with a video of yours. Do you remember which trails you took to get there?
I didn't lead on those runs, but we usually hit the quarry, then to the Overlook and usually the adventure park and obstacle course lsnand mud pits. I don't really know the names of the trails

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

McCray Rd will take you to Hector Heights and give you a good overview of the park. Stick to the easy (green) and intermediate (blue) trails and you should be fine.

You mentioned that you are on 'street' tires.... what are they?

I'd recommend this as a minimum recovery gear kit:

1. Recovery points front and rear.
2. A good strap.
3. Hitch receiver shackle mount http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/Smittybilt-Zinc-Plated-2-Inch-Receiver-Mounted-D-Ring-Shackle-29312.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=190&t_pt=5081&t_pn=S/B29312
4. A jack capable of lifting your vehicle.
5. A spare tire the same size as the other 4.

Influencer II

McCray Rd will take you to Hector Heights and give you a good overview of the park. Stick to the easy (green) and intermediate (blue) trails and you should be fine.

You mentioned that you are on 'street' tires.... what are they?

I'd recommend this as a minimum recovery gear kit:

1. Recovery points front and rear.
2. A good strap.
3. Hitch receiver shackle mount http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/Smittybilt-Zinc-Plated-2-Inch-Receiver-Mounted-D-Ring-Shackle-29312.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=190&t_pt=5081&t_pn=S/B29312
4. A jack capable of lifting your vehicle.
5. A spare tire the same size as the other 4.
Is there only one overlook? Sounds like there's a few. Yea, by no means do I plan on going on the hard trails. Maybe just stick with greens for now, but we'll see :)

I have Goodyear FuelMax tires. They came with the car when I purchased it less than 2 months ago. Probably terrible for offroading, but whatever. It's done well at Alabama Hills and Bishop so far. Least I'll have fun with it.

Thanks for that information! I'll be purchasing those parts slowly :)