Holiday trip: MA - FL. Route and overnight ideas?

• HTML tutorial

Londonmeanswild

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

Berkshire County, Massachusetts, United States
First Name
Landon
Last Name
Marchant
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Despite driving a JKU with armor, gas is looking to be significantly cheaper than plane tickets the week before Christmas so I'm taking a road trip with my dog.

Hoping to find some overnight spots that aren't a rest stop or Walmart parking lot, and contemplating the merits of a more scenic route. Any ideas? I have always wanted to see Shenandoah but it looks like Skyline Drive is currently closed.

Honu

Rank IV

Traveler III

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Bernau
Member #

Despite driving a JKU with armor, gas is looking to be significantly cheaper than plane tickets the week before Christmas so I'm taking a road trip with my dog.

Hoping to find some overnight spots that aren't a rest stop or Walmart parking lot, and contemplating the merits of a more scenic route. Any ideas? I have always wanted to see Shenandoah but it looks like Skyline Drive is currently closed.
How far east are you planning to be when you move through the Southeast? The GAT would have some good options in Georgia, Uwharrie is a great stop in NC, and Ocala National Forest in Central Florida has plenty of options for dispersed camping and exploring.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Skyline is open always, except periods of inclement weather. What info do you have? Quick Google search yields nothing out of the ordinary