Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Has anybody built a hoist for their rooftop tent? Mine will be here in about 1.5 weeks, and I need a means to mount and unmount on top of Ruby (Wrangler RUBicon). With the added weight and surface area, I plan on only mounting the RTT when traveling; for day to day driving, I want the rack free...

Thinking about using 2 or 3 pulleys to get the weight down to something a bit more manageable... Just lift off the Jeep and let the tent hang there, then drive the Jeep underneath to mount again.

Alternatively, are there any commercial hoists that could be mounted on the rafters of my workshed?

Reactions: rgk401

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

My buddy used a pulley system and a cheap electric winch in his garage for his jeep hardtop.

Reactions: Wotan

JK_pix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lincoln, Nebraska
First Name
Vishal
Last Name
Singh
Member #

I made one out of steel c channel strut available at any Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, etc. and an inexpensive electric winch from Harbor Freight. I use this hoist for both my RTT and the hardtop on my JKU.

Reactions: LandPirate

JK_pix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lincoln, Nebraska
First Name
Vishal
Last Name
Singh
Member #

I did this many years ago. I based it partially on some directions on JK Forum. I couldn't find those exact directions but these seem to be close. I didn't bother with making a shelf. Also, instead of the hand winch, I went with a cheap electric winch. I've been using the setup for 9 years without any issues.
https://www.jk-forum.com/how-tos/a/jeep-wrangler-jk-how-to-build-a-hardtop-hoist-storage-system-407359

I'll try to take a pic tomorrow of my setup so you can see how I get around building a shelf to set it on.

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
I did this many years ago. I based it partially on some directions on JK Forum. I couldn't find those exact directions but these seem to be close. I didn't bother with making a shelf. Also, instead of the hand winch, I went with a cheap electric winch. I've been using the setup for 9 years without any issues.
https://www.jk-forum.com/how-tos/a/jeep-wrangler-jk-how-to-build-a-hardtop-hoist-storage-system-407359

I'll try to take a pic tomorrow of my setup so you can see how I get around building a shelf to set it on.
Sounds awesome. Thanks!

Alain (‘Alan’) via OB Talk on iPhone

JK_pix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lincoln, Nebraska
First Name
Vishal
Last Name
Singh
Member #

Sorry for the low quality photos. Instead of a wooden shelf, I put some hooks into the ceiling (into the joists to support weight) and use swing chain to support the weight of the RTT in storage.

If you want to use this hoist setup to lift a hardtop or RTT, then you'll need to deviate in one specific way from the directions I posted. The square u-bolts in the directions are cut to make hooks that latch on to the hard top. However, I found they were way too short for use with the RTT. So I had to find much longer u-bolts. I would recommend these instead (Part Number: 426-10542)- http://www.jegs.com/vpt/Superlift-Suspension-Systems/Axle+U-Bolt

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Sorry for the low quality photos. Instead of a wooden shelf, I put some hooks into the ceiling (into the joists to support weight) and use swing chain to support the weight of the RTT in storage.

If you want to use this hoist setup to lift a hardtop or RTT, then you'll need to deviate in one specific way from the directions I posted. The square u-bolts in the directions are cut to make hooks that latch on to the hard top. However, I found they were way too short for use with the RTT. So I had to find much longer u-bolts. I would recommend these instead (Part Number: 426-10542)- http://www.jegs.com/vpt/Superlift-Suspension-Systems/Axle+U-Bolt

Thanks for the directions and pics. Looks like something I should be able to tackle :)...

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I know I’m reviving an old thread, but I moved and had to redesign my hoist system. My Tacoma has a lift and won’t fit in the garage with my iKamper and rack on, so I made a pergola style hoist. It uses a $99 Harbour Freight winch and ceiling mount style pulleys to route the cables around to lift all four corners. My rack and tent come off as one unit so it’s very fast and easy. My little side area faces the street so I tried to make it look quality.

59EEBD41-AD79-4419-827B-D6FBBB1578BD.jpeg0813740D-3428-425B-9E20-77183566E7C9.jpegF40FB841-F918-4C68-8EA3-93CAD7981EAC.jpeg0E2B243A-5584-4D44-8F2A-D1FEC9537A89.jpeg

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I know I’m reviving an old thread, but I moved and had to redesign my hoist system. My Tacoma has a lift and won’t fit in the garage with my iKamper and rack on, so I made a pergola style hoist. It uses a $99 Harbour Freight winch and ceiling mount style pulleys to route the cables around to lift all four corners. My rack and tent come off as one unit so it’s very fast and easy. My little side area faces the street so I tried to make it look quality.

View attachment 137241View attachment 137239View attachment 137238View attachment 137240
No, thank you for reviving an old thread. I haven't put my 23zero walkabout 72 on yet. Main reason is because I can't fit in the garage and it's winter. I also can't hang it from my roof because I won't be able to pull out of the garage. The tent weight 160 lbs. I can probably get it down myself but I'll never get it back up there. I was thinking ramps w/ rollers but that's still a bit of a stretch. I'd love to see anyone else's ideas. My truck has been garage kept (dirty, salty, whatever) since day 1. I'd like to keep it that way.

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
No, thank you for reviving an old thread. I haven't put my 23zero walkabout 72 on yet. Main reason is because I can't fit in the garage and it's winter. I also can't hang it from my roof because I won't be able to pull out of the garage. The tent weight 160 lbs. I can probably get it down myself but I'll never get it back up there. I was thinking ramps w/ rollers but that's still a bit of a stretch. I'd love to see anyone else's ideas. My truck has been garage kept (dirty, salty, whatever) since day 1. I'd like to keep it that way.
I saw one guy who built a hoist out of square tube that fit into his hitch and then would swivel. So you pick it up from right behind the truck, hoist it up high enough, and swivel it around to lower it onto the back of the truck. Takes some welding but it works, just have to balance the tent when hoisted

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I saw one guy who built a hoist out of square tube that fit into his hitch and then would swivel. So you pick it up from right behind the truck, hoist it up high enough, and swivel it around to lower it onto the back of the truck. Takes some welding but it works, just have to balance the tent when hoisted
I saw that. I can't weld and don't have a welder but it was def. an interesting option.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I saw that. I can't weld and don't have a welder but it was def. an interesting option.
I went to a local garage and paid a guy on the side to weld up my fridge slide. Simple cut off wheel to make the cuts and took over the items to weld and an hour later BAM, done.

Reactions: diabetiktaco

2manytoyz

Rank 0

Contributor I

Merritt Island, FL
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Cummings
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4AAB
I'm another one using a Harbor Freight attic hoist. I used it several years in a previous house, and another 9 at this house. I use it for all kinds of heavy lifting. I put a couple of cross braces in the attic, and put it in place. I did extend the control pendant since I have to stand to the side when lifting the hard top off our 2006 Wrangler Unlimited (long wheel base) Jeep. Unlike the newer Jeeps, this top is all one piece, and takes 3 adults to lift it safely... or one goober with a hoist.

I later welded up a basic cage, and use it as an elevator to move the MANY boxes of seasonal decorations my wife collects. I'm getting too old to haul those boxes safely up/down the folding stairs. When I need to use it as a simple hoist again, the cage is simply unclipped, and set aside.

DSCN8351.JPG

DSCN8353.JPG

DSCN8359.JPG

IMG_7358.JPG

IMG_7346.JPG

IMG_7347.JPG

IMG_6553.JPG

IMG_8636.JPG

Man, you gotta get an attic hoist!

• Love
Reactions: PapaDave

pawnbroker

Rank I

Enthusiast I

SC, USA
First Name
BLAKE
Last Name
TEAGUE
Here is mine , took a Saturday afternoon to do ,but worth it.

Attachments