Explorer I

Irvine, Orange County, California, United States
First Name
Marco
Last Name
Brettschneider
Member #

Hey Community,

I think about investing into a hitch gate for my 4Runner Limited. I am torn between the RIGd Ultraswing and any of the WILCO hitch gates.
I have the feeling that the RIGd might be sturdier than the Wilco but I am also concerned about the looks (i.e. center vs. offset) since I am on stock wheels. The distance between the tire and gate on some solutions look just ridiculously large.
The main purpose for me is to carry fuel, water and possibly a propane tank. Not sure if any of these gates will provide a solution for all three of them.

Your opinions and maybe photos of your rig appreciated.

Cheers

Marco

U

UgotWheelz

Hey Community,

I think about investing into a hitch gate for my 4Runner Limited. I am torn between the RIGd Ultraswing and any of the WILCO hitch gates.
I have the feeling that the RIGd might be sturdier than the Wilco but I am also concerned about the looks (i.e. center vs. offset) since I am on stock wheels. The distance between the tire and gate on some solutions look just ridiculously large.
The main purpose for me is to carry fuel, water and possibly a propane tank. Not sure if any of these gates will provide a solution for all three of them.

Your opinions and maybe photos of your rig appreciated.

Cheers

Marco
Check out Jon DZ on YouTube he recently did a review of tire swing outs and visited a couple of the factories.

Reactions: Bretti

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have the Wilco for my Silverado. First thing i did notice is that were was so much space between tailgate and Wilco. I filled it with RotoPax gas can and a propane mount. It wasn't fully designed for it, but modified it with some of my own parts to make it like this.

IMG_5040.jpeg

IMG_5038.jpeg

IMG_5041.jpeg

IMG_5039.jpeg

For the 4Runner I do like the look of the RIGd. Fits closer to the tailgate and has some good add-ons.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
heres a link to a thread on here about the stowaway carrier. i bought it new for around $300 and did an easy mod to it where the basket will sit closer to the vehicle. we took it to black gap in west texas and it took a beating fully loaded with gas and ice chest and did great.
i looked thru the postings and didnt see where i specifically addressed the big gap between the tailgate and hitch carrier....i ordered just the swing out frame and used my own basket. the frame has two plates to mount a basket, but the plates are back a bit to give room to access the latch mechanism. if i just bolted the basket to the plates leaving the access space, there is a huge gap and the basket is sticking back really far from the vehicle. i ended up using 2" aluminium square tubing to mount to the plates and then mounted the basket to the square tubing. which allowed me to shift the basket up a lot closer to the vehicle and the height of the square tubing gives room for me to reach the locking latch. like i said in the thread, this hitch mount carrier is $1000 cheaper than Rigid and i cant imagine the ridgid being that much better. i love this one and fully trust it holding up on trails

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2 and Bretti

Neon Paradise

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Suffolk, Virginia, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
xxxxxx
Member #

I have a few posts regarding my RIGd UltraSwing on my build thread.

I chose them because I liked the sturdier appearance, and the fact that it came standard with the license plate holder. It was important for me as well to have one that swung out far enough to clear my drawer setup.

20210829_144856.jpg20210920_154212.jpg
20210331_130237.jpg

No cheap options out there, but I've been pleased with how this one has held up overall.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Funny that this thread would come up today. I'm building a hitch gate for my Jeep XJ and got it to the point that it's functional (sort of) just this afternoon. I still have some fab work, finish welding, painting, etc. to do but it's getting there. The only thing I plan to add to the back is a fold down or more likely a fold up table.

21-11-06 1.JPG21-11-06 2.JPG

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have a few posts regarding my RIGd UltraSwing on my build thread.

I chose them because I liked the sturdier appearance, and the fact that it came standard with the license plate holder. It was important for me as well to have one that swung out far enough to clear my drawer setup.

View attachment 215015View attachment 215016
View attachment 215017

No cheap options out there, but I've been pleased with how this one has held up overall.
Do you happen to have a pic similar to the first one, but taken from the height as the hitch itself? I’d love to see how this one protrudes to the rear, departure angle, etc.