Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Linsey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
n/a
I have no comms, I hope that's okay. Still a newbie and don't know what to get (looking for something on the cheap side)

Adventures with Penny

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Eagle Mountain, Utah, United States
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Peiser
Member #

Newbie question, this isn't a HAM radio is it? If it is do I need my HAM license?
It has HAM capabilities but I usually just stay within the FRS band. You can listen all you want to HAM but you are not allowed to transmit. It is super easy to get your GMRS license to make it more legal. Register with the FCC(free) then just pay for your GMRS license($75 I think).
There are a ton of YouTube instructional videos on how to set it up and use it.

Threat_Leveled_Midnight

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Linsey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
n/a
It has HAM capabilities but I usually just stay within the FRS band. You can listen all you want to HAM but you are not allowed to transmit. It is super easy to get your GMRS license to make it more legal. Register with the FCC(free) then just pay for your GMRS license($75 I think).
There are a ton of YouTube instructional videos on how to set it up and use it.
Cool, that's good to know. I'll make sure to check some out and get some more info. For the purposes of this weekends trip, if we stick to a channel and just chat back and forth as needed, do I need to register and pay that $75 before hand? Will someone come after me and ticket me for not doing so?

Adventures with Penny

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Eagle Mountain, Utah, United States
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Peiser
Member #

Cool, that's good to know. I'll make sure to check some out and get some more info. For the purposes of this weekends trip, if we stick to a channel and just chat back and forth as needed, do I need to register and pay that $75 before hand? Will someone come after me and ticket me for not doing so?
If you're in a group and one person has the license you are covered too. I have a certain frequency I use and a certain transmit and receive privacy code. Everything will be good, nothing to worry about.