Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Have a few days free coming up and looking for suggestions for dispersed camping near water: lake, river, etc. Taking GF and her kids to Columbia to do the touristy gold era stuff then go relax in the dirt for a few days. Any suggestions for HWY 4 or HWY 108 to relax and swim away from it all for a few days?

dub_stackz

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Weston
Last Name
Gossell
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Vet
Lmk what you find, I’m planning to run out there in the near future, not sure what to expect.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Will do. Still trying to figure out where we’re going. Looking at a potential heat wave starting 7/7 so definitely need to find the waters to hang at.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
So due to the start of the Electra Fire and then the Washburn Fire we decided to do a different trip and ended up at Courtright Reservoir, specifically Voyager Rock Campground. This is located in the Sierra National Forest off HWY 168. The campground is 14 primitive sites, they include picnic table, bear box and fire ring. There are 2 pit toilets as well. There are 14 sites I believe, first come basis. While the 'dirt driving' portion is only about 2 miles it is fun. Definitely need 4WD and I'd suggest at least a slight lift. Very beautiful country and the reservoir sits at about 8200' so while the air was hot the water was cold. For those very much more adventurous and prepared the gnarly part of the Dusy-Eshram Trail starts just past the campground and is open August 1-November 1. Check out some YouTube videos on the Dusy before even thinking about checking it out. We haven't stayed in a campground in quite some time and all in all it was pleasant. There were some a$$hats who were playing music loudly literally all night our first night. I politely asked them to keep their music down during the day and off at night and they did so without protest. The rest of our 4 days there were really nice and quiet with maybe only 2-3 other groups that came and went during it.
de1.JPGde2.JPGde3.JPG

Reactions: TCorona and Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
So due to the start of the Electra Fire and then the Washburn Fire we decided to do a different trip and ended up at Courtright Reservoir, specifically Voyager Rock Campground. This is located in the Sierra National Forest off HWY 168. The campground is 14 primitive sites, they include picnic table, bear box and fire ring. There are 2 pit toilets as well. There are 14 sites I believe, first come basis. While the 'dirt driving' portion is only about 2 miles it is fun. Definitely need 4WD and I'd suggest at least a slight lift. Very beautiful country and the reservoir sits at about 8200' so while the air was hot the water was cold. For those very much more adventurous and prepared the gnarly part of the Dusy-Eshram Trail starts just past the campground and is open August 1-November 1. Check out some YouTube videos on the Dusy before even thinking about checking it out. We haven't stayed in a campground in quite some time and all in all it was pleasant. There were some a$$hats who were playing music loudly literally all night our first night. I politely asked them to keep their music down during the day and off at night and they did so without protest. The rest of our 4 days there were really nice and quiet with maybe only 2-3 other groups that came and went during it.
View attachment 235817View attachment 235818View attachment 235819
Looks like a great trip. That is a nice short trail, I really like the granite slabs on the way in.