• HTML tutorial

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

Greetings,

I am pretty new to the boards, but I wanted to take advantage of this section as I have been planning a little trip into the Ozark National Forest in Arkansas or more specifically, the High Water Mark Trail (Ozark Overland Trail).

Here you will find a Google map of the trail:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1-Du-fWHndXK9W3CyqYJXOhTini0&hl=en_US&ll=35.70366821338,-92.87445014453124&z=10

And, if you have researched this trial before, you have probably come across this video along with a couple more:

I have been researching the High Water Mark Trail for weeks now, and for anyone that has done the same, you may have learned that there really is not enough information regarding it. Most of what you will come across is at least a year or so old and typically during the fall season. The reason why this can be questionable information for me, is that I am going Easter weekend (April 13-16th), during the wettest season of the year for this part of the country and with there being approximately 22 water crossings… ALL the information and details I can have, are exactly what I will need.

I am going with a large group of friends and we do not intend doing the entire thing as this weekend is more so a “bachelor party” weekend and we will enter in the southern most trial head and navigate north to find scenic spots to camp. Not everyone that is going has experience of overlanding, off-roading or even camping for that matter. So this is by no means, a trip just for overlanding. But, being that this is a short 5 hour drive from my house… I am already getting the itch to actually attempt the entire trail this fall.

Now, here are the questions I have:

1. Who here on OB has been on the High Water Mark Trail?

2. What time of year where you there?

3. How were the conditions of the trails, levels of water crossings, etc.

4. Any must camp locations?

I will also use this thread to share my prep, including the gear and items I will be taking. It is said that we will have camera/drone gear as well, that comes with an operator (one of my groomsman), so upon return, I will start a new thread I the “Share Your Overland Routes!“ with a trip review, pictures and hopefully video.

I appreciate all the insight in advance.

Last edited:

KevinO

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Arkansas
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I live in SW Arkansas, and I've been wanting to do a trip with the family. I was looking at doing one through the Ouachita's starting in Winona WMA and ending around mena. I look forward to your posts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: The GrooGrux King

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I live in SW Arkansas, and I've been wanting to do a trip with the family. I was looking at doing one through the Ouachita's starting in Winona WMA and ending around mena. I look forward to your posts.

Ouachita National Forest was a lot of fun. I was there last September.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

Where all did you go?

We didn't do much trail riding. We camped in a single spot two nights and hiked, kayaked and fished mostly. We did however drive along the shoreline of where we camped. Most roads were multi-purpose, so they weren't technically trails. I have however, heard that there is a route within the Ouachita Mountains that is ideal for overlanding. But, I haven't really set aside time to research or look into it.

KevinO

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Arkansas
We didn't do much trail riding. We camped in a single spot two nights and hiked, kayaked and fished mostly. We did however drive along the shoreline of where we camped. Most roads were multi-purpose, so they weren't technically trails. I have however, heard that there is a route within the Ouachita Mountains that is ideal for overlanding. But, I haven't really set aside time to research or look into it.
You maybe thinking of the Kimatchi Trail (K-Tail). I haven't done mich research on it. But I have heard that most of the arkansas section is a lot of Forrest road. But the Oklahoma part is suppose to be pretty fun and Not too hard. Where are you from?

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

You maybe thinking of the Kimatchi Trail (K-Tail). I haven't done mich research on it. But I have heard that most of the arkansas section is a lot of Forrest road. But the Oklahoma part is suppose to be pretty fun and Not too hard. Where are you from?

Yes, the K-Trail is one of the trials that extends into the Arkansas' portion of the Ouachita Mountains. Although, I have heard mixed things regarding the K-Trail and its accessibility due to private property lines. Who knows though? I was under the impression it was mainly an old forest ranger fire trail, so it really doesn't make sense to me how it would be "privately owned".

I'm am out of Dallas, TX.

KevinO

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Arkansas
Now that you mentioned it, I've heard that too.

That's cool, I live about 45 mins from Texarkana on the arkansas side. Have you don't the hill country trail? I think that's what it's called.

KevinO

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Arkansas

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

Big Bend and Palo Duro Canyon are both gorgeous places. We have camped there, but I did zero overlanding. If I can get some time off this fall, I would be down to try it out.

KevinO

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Arkansas
Big Bend and Palo Duro Canyon are both gorgeous places. We have camped there, but I did zero overlanding. If I can get some time off this fall, I would be down to try it out.
Palo Duro is amazing. We went out there a couple of years ago and my boys had a blast crawling all around the boulders. We are wanting to go back and do some hiking and do the zip lines.

smlts176

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Most people run the trail from Russellville North to buffalo river. I run it from buffalo south to Russellville, both ways are fine. Some of the water crossings have bridges built across them now, but you can still bypass the bridge and cross. The "power line" section is extreme in spots. I would also walk the decent(or hill climb depending on if you are North or south bound) before you run it. The ceramic from the power lines littler the trail and can kill a tire easy. I'm spring you will expect the water to be at its highest, I do not run it in spring. It takes 2 to 3 days to run depending on your speed and if you take any extra off shoots. I would pack a chain saw. Also expect to see A TV and Side by side, along with horses.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

Most people run the trail from Russellville North to buffalo river. I run it from buffalo south to Russellville, both ways are fine. Some of the water crossings have bridges built across them now, but you can still bypass the bridge and cross. The "power line" section is extreme in spots. I would also walk the decent(or hill climb depending on if you are North or south bound) before you run it. The ceramic from the power lines littler the trail and can kill a tire easy. I'm spring you will expect the water to be at its highest, I do not run it in spring. It takes 2 to 3 days to run depending on your speed and if you take any extra off shoots. I would pack a chain saw. Also expect to see A TV and Side by side, along with horses.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app
We will be entering from Russleville, off Highway 7, as we are coming from Dallas and others from New Orleans. We are not planning on doing the whole trial, just enough to find two or three different spots to camp at throughout the weekend since not everyone going is an "outdoors-man" LOL. Plenty of fishing, hiking and thirst quenching.

smlts176

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Starting from south you will hit the most technical part of the trail first, so if your not doing the whole trail, going south to north is the best way to go. Hope you guys have a good time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk