High mounted water tank.

• HTML tutorial

Yota-Rover

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey all. I’m new to the whole overland community so here’s a question for y’all.
I have a rack mounted 18gal potable water tank. Would being mounted high on my rack pose a problem when overlanding? (i.e is it too top heavy?) (I haven’t done any crazy trails yet, planning to do corral hollow trail near lake alpine CA) Here’s a photo of my rig so far. Still a long way to go. Thanks in advance!!

IMG_0745.JPG

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Hey all. I’m new to the whole overland community so here’s a question for y’all.
I have a rack mounted 18gal potable water tank. Would being mounted high on my rack pose a problem when overlanding? (i.e is it too top heavy?) (I haven’t done any crazy trails yet, planning to do corral hollow trail near lake alpine CA) Here’s a photo of my rig so far. Still a long way to go. Thanks in advance!!

View attachment 67845
I have had zero issues with mine mounted the exact same way. I wouldn't worry about it. However I am going to switch to the 45L with the mounting bracket , found that the 16 gallon in just too much water for myself and my girlfriend. You can see in the pictures it sits just above my front passenger. IMG_8319.jpeg20180706_141215~2.jpeg

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Since I do trails that can be challenging I try to keep my CG as low as possible. I got a trailer to mount my RTT because I didn’t want a high CG on my short wheel base Jeep TJ. That would be my only concern about putting an additional 150lbs high on a rack...and that’s in addition to the RTT you have mounted.