Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
That makes sense and is solid advice. I’ll probably go with the bottle jack for now, I usually go with groups or friends with high lift jacks so when/if I eventuality need a one, I can borrow one, then buy one before the next trip lol. I’m ordering the suggested bottle jack attachment recommended above for sure.
Thanks for the input!
Just remember, on a hi lift, maintenance is critical, always operate from the side, and before lifting plan an escape rout if you need to get away fast.

Reactions: Trigger T4R

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
High lifts are dangerous, not great at winching and only work well at being a jack in certain situations. Does it look cool? Maybe to some, I see them on the outside of trucks and just wonder if they have ever been used and if they ever do need to be used how rusty will it be by then?

Bottle jacks or scissor jacks are safer and more effective at actually jacking a rig in my experience. When I was a jeeper I always had a surplus humvee jack so the height was never an issue. With my trucks I have a scissor and a bottle jack with built in jack stand.

I have thought about getting an exhaust jack, I like the idea of the floatation they provide in mud or snow.

I don’t understand why so many people hang onto the idea of high lifts. They certainly have a niche place but I think it’s more nostalgic or for cool points. That’s just my .02

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm a hard pass on the exhaust jack. It's kinda basic safety to shut down a vehicle before lifting. Also I have been in situations that required the engine to be off due to damage and needed lifting done as part of a recovery. If you are wary of the hi lift I would run a bottle jack. But despite the safety concerns with a hi lift I prefer them because they are an extremely versatile tool.
Just FYI the exhaust jacks can also be lifted by airing them up with a compressor.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Just FYI the exhaust jacks can also be lifted by airing them up with a compressor.
That's fair. Still just seems like a hokie idea. If you're using an air compressor to fill it, why not run an air over hydraulic jack? It will be faster, easier, more durable and lift more. Anyway I'm just not sold on the idea of the exhaust jack, maybe if I saw one in action and used one that might change.

Reactions: Trigger T4R

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
High lifts are dangerous, not great at winching and only work well at being a jack in certain situations. Does it look cool? Maybe to some, I see them on the outside of trucks and just wonder if they have ever been used and if they ever do need to be used how rusty will it be by then?

Bottle jacks or scissor jacks are safer and more effective at actually jacking a rig in my experience. When I was a jeeper I always had a surplus humvee jack so the height was never an issue. With my trucks I have a scissor and a bottle jack with built in jack stand.

I have thought about getting an exhaust jack, I like the idea of the floatation they provide in mud or snow.

I don’t understand why so many people hang onto the idea of high lifts. They certainly have a niche place but I think it’s more nostalgic or for cool points. That’s just my .02
It may be because I grew up with an old school farm mentality, but I have used hi lifts my entire life for things that literally nothing else would have done as well, and yes even as safely. Are there inherent risks with them, you bet. But you can very easily mitigate them with the advice I provided above. I really think most accidents we see with high lifts it really doesn't matter what the person was using, they would probably mess up. Accidents are never a single cause thing, they result from multipul failures. So careful planning can usually keep you safe even in an inherently dangerous situation. The single biggest factor in any accident is the person. A hasty person without any safety awareness can make the safest situation deadly.
Really at the end of the day it's all about being aware of the risks and thinking about how you can control and mitigate them.

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

Great comments by all on this thread! I tend to agree with parts of everyone’s perspectives on this. It ultimately seems like a “right tool for the right job” scenario & planning/safety are 1st, 2nd & 3rd always! As for seeing these applications in real life, I’ve been watching Xpedition Overland’s series on “bezos prime“ and it’s shown a number of ways to use each option mentioned here, I highly recommend watching. It’s shed some light on the subject for me, and inspired me to just get out there and get some experience with them all. With experience comes knowledge, with knowledge comes wisdom. Versatility is the goal.

Reactions: Cort and Dilldog

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
That's fair. Still just seems like a hokie idea. If you're using an air compressor to fill it, why not run an air over hydraulic jack? It will be faster, easier, more durable and lift more. Anyway I'm just not sold on the idea of the exhaust jack, maybe if I saw one in action and used one that might change.

A big benefit of the airbag jack is it’s floatation over soft surfaces. In soft mud Or powerery snow a lot of jacks will sink, even with a plate underneath. I wouldn’t have an air bag jack as the first choice but it’s a good tool for the tool box.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
It may be because I grew up with an old school farm mentality, but I have used hi lifts my entire life for things that literally nothing else would have done as well, and yes even as safely. Are there inherent risks with them, you bet. But you can very easily mitigate them with the advice I provided above. I really think most accidents we see with high lifts it really doesn't matter what the person was using, they would probably mess up. Accidents are never a single cause thing, they result from multipul failures. So careful planning can usually keep you safe even in an inherently dangerous situation. The single biggest factor in any accident is the person. A hasty person without any safety awareness can make the safest situation deadly.
Really at the end of the day it's all about being aware of the risks and thinking about how you can control and mitigate them.
I get your points for sure. I don’t agree completely with the awareness part. In a recovery its often because the area is rough or you may be extracting in the dark or foul weather. Fatigue can be effect due to trail exhaustion, lack of sleep, dehydration or panic. Poor choices are made regardless of perceived awareness or experience. I’m not arguing your points or saying you are wrong, I just have a different perspective.

Can you use a high lift without problems? Absolutely. I just like to minimize risk and there are better jacks out there these days.

Reactions: Dilldog