Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

Figure I’ll need it eventually, so trying to decide which route to go. I’ve seen and heard some horror stories about the dangers of high lift jacks. I know they can come in handy for many uses and many people use them,(plus they look cool mounted outside of vehicle) but they seem like the danger is not worth it. I’ve seen these exhaust inflated jacks that look very safe and stable, as well as being easily packable in a kit. I will usually go for function over fashion so, which do you prefer & why?

thanks in advance for advice!

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Do you have suitable jacking points on your T4R to use a high lift, such as sliders and front/rear bumpers with designated jack points? Alternatively there is a kit where you can lift by the wheel, but then you need to also carry a jack stand so you can remove the wheel after lifting with it.

In many cases the factory Toyota jack is a great option, especially with a jack adapter.

I don't personally have any experience with the exhaust jacks. My concerns would be with 1) having to run the engine to jack the car and 2) the potential for punctures or leaks.

Claus_za

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utrecht, Netherlands
First Name
Claus
Last Name
Rynners
Member #

When using a highlift jack, always use it from one of the sides - dont stand in front of it (so that if the ratchet slips, releases or anything like that during use) so you don't loose your teeth.

As will any tool, its how you use it that makes it safe or unsafe.

An improperly used winch in my opinion is much more dangerous.

Reactions: M Rose

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I've found scissor jacks to be quite useful. They practically give them away at junkyards. Weld a nut on the end and you can run them with you impact or drill driver. Same for those Jeep screw type bottle jacks. They pack a lot smaller than something like a hilift and are a lot lighter. The attic rafters in my garage have been doing a great job of holding my hilift for years now.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I've found scissor jacks to be quite useful. They practically give them away at junkyards. Weld a nut on the end and you can run them with you impact or drill driver. Same for those Jeep screw type bottle jacks. They pack a lot smaller than something like a hilift and are a lot lighter. The attic rafters in my garage have been doing a great job of holding my hilift for years now.
I think were probably the only ones who use scissor jacks, sure they dont look cool but they work every time with no worries. I barely use my farm jack even pulling stumps usually i can just back my tractor up and use the 3 point to pull em up. My 60 inch farm jack wont even lift my buggy 3 inches off the ground if you have alot of suspension travel good luck lifting by the tire and cribbing or using a stand. And to the guy who thinks hilifts are safer than using a winch guess what a hi lift is technically a winch and a really bad one at that, id trust using my winch to lift my truck via a tree than a hi lift used normally. The best use for hi lift is extracting your buddy after theve rolled down a hill the work great at popping doors open on a wrecked vehicle.

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
...And to the guy who thinks hilifts are safer than using a winch guess what a hi lift is technically a winch and a really bad one at that, id trust using my winch to lift my truck via a tree than a hi lift used normally. The best use for hi lift is extracting your buddy after theve rolled down a hill the work great at popping doors open on a wrecked vehicle.
There's a reason some people call highlifts "Murder Jacks"

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

No jack is stable. The advantage of the air bag is weight saving and soft sided packaging. But I have always found the factory screw jack does it all. If you need a winch, get a winch.

On the highlift safety thing, there is a reason most government vehicles no longer carry them and that is driven by WCB claims.

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

I do have Demello rock sliders and front bumper for jack points. I will be Getting a winch in the not too distant future as well.

Good points made by all, thanks!

I like the suggestions of the scissor or bottle jack options but I do have a 3” lift on 33’s, would those jacks go high enough to lift my rig?

I would prefer not to have to change a tire on a trail. I would rather limp out on a flat and change to the spare once I get to a safer place to jack if possible. Seems sketchy to lift an unbalanced rig on a trail. Is my thinking correct on that?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Seems sketchy to lift an unbalanced rig on a trail. Is my thinking correct on that?
On a trail, you'll often not be able to drive without air in the tires. Block the other 3 wheels. Put the truck in 4WD Low Range. Lock the lockers if you have them. Place the jack vertical on a solid firm base. Loosen the lugnuts BEFORE you jack it up. Have the spare beside you BEFORE you jack it up. Check EVERYTHING !!!! Jack it and change the tire. Keep all your body parts clear in case you missed something. The truck should be in the air less than a minute.

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

On a trail, you'll often not be able to drive without air in the tires. Block the other 3 wheels. Put the truck in 4WD Low Range. Lock the lockers if you have them. Place the jack vertical on a solid firm base. Loosen the lugnuts BEFORE you jack it up. Have the spare beside you BEFORE you jack it up. Check EVERYTHING !!!! Jack it and change the tire. Keep all your body parts clear in case you missed something. The truck should be in the air less than a minute.
Great advice thank you! I’ve been lucky to not have to do this...yet (knock on wood).
I’ll take a screenshot of this and use it as a checklist for when I need it!

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

Do you have suitable jacking points on your T4R to use a high lift, such as sliders and front/rear bumpers with designated jack points? Alternatively there is a kit where you can lift by the wheel, but then you need to also carry a jack stand so you can remove the wheel after lifting with it.

In many cases the factory Toyota jack is a great option, especially with a jack adapter.

I don't personally have any experience with the exhaust jacks. My concerns would be with 1) having to run the engine to jack the car and 2) the potential for punctures or leaks.
That adapter looks like a great idea! I’ll grab one for sure! Thank for the link.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The TJ factory jack will lift high enough to change 35s. Lifts have no effect if you are jacking under the axle.
Not 100% accurate... the stock screw jack in my second Gen Ram 2500 Won’t even come close to touching the axle without a rail road tie between the ground and the jack... it’s lifted with 35’s.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I like the suggestions of the scissor or bottle jack options but I do have a 3” lift on 33’s, would those jacks go high enough to lift my rig?
One of the benefits of a bottle jack is you can lift the truck by the axle, which means that the only added height over stock is due to taller tires. The factory Toyota jack works fine on both my Toyotas on 32" tires with room to spare. Best thing to do is try out your factory jack on your truck in your driveway.

This also relates to one of the problems with using a highlift jack on your sliders or bumpers, you have to lift high enough to droop the suspension all the way down before a tire will come off the ground. As I mentioned above there are adapters to lift by a tire, but then you need to carry a jack stand.

Reactions: Trigger T4R

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
personally I would say each has it's place. I would not use a bottle jack on uneven ground for anything. The exhaust jacks are nice if you have a suitable place to put them. In the end they are just a balloon. a high lift is versitile, but if you do not know how to use one correctly, or lack the right accessory for what and how you have to life they are dangerous. so in the end, it is really about what is right for you, your vehicle, and where you plan to go. I intend to see if my old bottlejack from my previous truck is able to fit my dad's new subaru, but then neither he nor I will ever take that thing on anything worse than a dirt road. I personally intend to get BOTH a highlift and a exhaust jack before I am through. but the highlift will definitely come first, and I will either buy or fabricate a tube adapter, and if possible when I replace my bumpers I will modify them with a hole for an ARB adapter, or I will buy or fabricate a highlift to shackle mount adapter. I will also be getting a wheel strap adapter and a pulling chain for my highlift. Like I said... They are versatile. Before I go anywhere that has serious sand though (east coast beach driving, getting into the desert or west coast) I will get an exhaust jack because they have a much largest ground patch so they will not be as bad about digging in, but it will always be my secondary jack. if the ground is smooth but very slick (mud or snow and ice) the exhause jack has advantages (if you have someplace under the vehicle that you can put it without risking puncture) they have a lot of advantages... but if you have sharp rocky ground, they run the risk of getting torn... also as one youtuber in austrailia found while testing them, a stray mounting bolt from the nerf bars can punch a hole in the jack, thus my distrust of them in jagged areas.

Reactions: Speric

Codebeagle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Elsinore, Utah, United States
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Porter
Member #

I keep the hi-lift on hand because it has a lot of other uses, too. Spreading things, lifting, hand winching stuff, using the handle to extend socket handles, resetting a trailer that slid off a block, a makeshift traction board one time, fight off bears, replacement cot end piece, and on and on..

Reactions: Trigger T4R

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I'm a hard pass on the exhaust jack. It's kinda basic safety to shut down a vehicle before lifting. Also I have been in situations that required the engine to be off due to damage and needed lifting done as part of a recovery. If you are wary of the hi lift I would run a bottle jack. But despite the safety concerns with a hi lift I prefer them because they are an extremely versatile tool.

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

I'm a hard pass on the exhaust jack. It's kinda basic safety to shut down a vehicle before lifting. Also I have been in situations that required the engine to be off due to damage and needed lifting done as part of a recovery. If you are wary of the hi lift I would run a bottle jack. But despite the safety concerns with a hi lift I prefer them because they are an extremely versatile tool.
That makes sense and is solid advice. I’ll probably go with the bottle jack for now, I usually go with groups or friends with high lift jacks so when/if I eventuality need a one, I can borrow one, then buy one before the next trip lol. I’m ordering the suggested bottle jack attachment recommended above for sure.
Thanks for the input!

Reactions: Dilldog