Shanegu6

Rank 0

Contributor I

Australia
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Langley
Good day to everyone here. We are a family of 4 down the path of planning an overland trip in USA, Canada and Alaska. Would like to travel further south into Mexico. We’ll see about this later.

We are planning to send our dual cab 200 series landcruiser from Australia to Los Angeles. Keep having second thoughts on this and researching suitable alternatives to purchase. Struggling to find a comparable setup. Our Landcruiser is perfectly set up for our needs and we have done extensive travelling in Australia.

I am going to attend Overland Expo in May in Arizona to gain some more knowledge from an Americans perspective.
See you out there
Shane

Attachments

JaredThomsen

Rank VI

Member III

Concord, Contra Costa County, California, United States
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Thomsen
Member #

Good day to everyone here. We are a family of 4 down the path of planning an overland trip in USA, Canada and Alaska. Would like to travel further south into Mexico. We’ll see about this later.

We are planning to send our dual cab 200 series landcruiser from Australia to Los Angeles. Keep having second thoughts on this and researching suitable alternatives to purchase. Struggling to find a comparable setup. Our Landcruiser is perfectly set up for our needs and we have done extensive travelling in Australia.

I am going to attend Overland Expo in May in Arizona to gain some more knowledge from an Americans perspective.
See you out there
Shane
Hey Shane, welcome to Overland Bound! And wow, that’s quite the trip you’re planning! Fun!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE

See you out there
Shane
Hi Shane,

Welcome to Overland Bound!

Wow, great 200series and awesome trip. Enjoy!

Greetings from Europe,
Bjoern

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

See you out there
Shane
Welcome To Overland Bound Shane
The trip you are talking about is amazing, our app can help you all the way.
Shipping to the US has its challenges with customs, there is a member in Australia that went through quite a bit of hassle a couple of years ago but in the end he had a great trip. A work around that people from Europe have found is to ship to Canada then enter the US. I will get you his contact info and send it by direct message.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Local information for any of our regions can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF

See you out there
Shane
Hello and welcome to the OB family.

Reactions: Bad Sport

Shanegu6

Rank 0

Contributor I

Australia
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Langley
Th
Welcome To Overland Bound Shane
The trip you are talking about is amazing, our app can help you all the way.
Shipping to the US has its challenges with customs, there is a member in Australia that went through quite a bit of hassle a couple of years ago but in the end he had a great trip. A work around that people from Europe have found is to ship to Canada then enter the US. I will get you his contact info and send it by direct message.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Local information for any of our regions can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com
That would be great Kent if you can send through that info. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Bad Sport

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Sent the other day

Kajun Sparkle

Rank V

Advocate III

Japton, Madison County, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Leger
Member #

See you out there
Shane
Welcome to OB!

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Sounds excellent!

Assuming that this will be a 12-18 month trip then I'd focus on shipping your vehicle; rates were sky-high for a while but are coming down again.

PS: Alaska is in the USA...

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Hi Shane,

My decision would be to take the 200. If it’s perfectly set up, I know any other rig will not be. I know my reliability, which is unknown for any other rig. You’ve done the math for sure, and I imagine shipping both ways is still cheaper than buying a similar level of reliability and set up. Finally, your 200 would never forgive you if you leave her behind.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
We shipped from Europe to the US and back a few years ago. RoRo. It was totally easy and straight forward. I have compiled some tips in this OB boot camp article. If you have any questions, please contact me. Always happy to help.

Reactions: NotGumby