Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Does anyone have experience with a Hi-Lift jack on a ram 2500 or similar truck. I know you can use the trailer hitch to jack up a vehicle. but would it also be possible to use it on the front tow hooks? Would be using something similar to a lift mate for it to be more secured.

(picked one up for a steal so just want to see how I can use it)

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Does anyone have experience with a Hi-Lift jack on a ram 2500 or similar truck. I know you can use the trailer hitch to jack up a vehicle. but would it also be possible to use it on the front tow hooks? Would be using something similar to a lift mate for it to be more secured.

I used one for years with my 2000 Ram 2500 without issues… but I had home made bumpers and sliders with Hi-Lift pockets added in… your idea of using a lift mate is a great idea. Another good idea is using a soft shackle through the tow hooks to lift off of… practice on hat level ground, and figure out what works for you.

Reactions: NotGumby and K12

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E

I used one for years with my 2000 Ram 2500 without issues… but I had home made bumpers and sliders with Hi-Lift pockets added in… your idea of using a lift mate is a great idea. Another good idea is using a soft shackle through the tow hooks to lift off of… practice on hat level ground, and figure out what works for you.
Great tip - soft shackle through the tow hook!

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force

Great tip - soft shackle through the tow hook!
thanks guys. I appreciate the help, although my pocketbook is cursing me...again

Reactions: NotGumby

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
That looks like it would work perfect. unfortunately out of stock and i cant find it anywhere else. Ill have to wait until it reappears.

DeltaBravo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG1N
There's a wheel adapter that hooks into spaces in the wheel. Lets you get more lift cuz you're starting lower down. HTH

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
There's a wheel adapter that hooks into spaces in the wheel. Lets you get more lift cuz you're starting lower down. HTH
I have seen those. I am more focused on if i have to change a tire. Still good information, knowing/having more jack points is always a plus cause you never know what will happen.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have seen those. I am more focused on if i have to change a tire. Still good information, knowing/having more jack points is always a plus cause you never know what will happen.
You use the wheel lift adapter to lift the truck, then stack rocks under the axle and let the rig back down… never remove a tire while the Hi-Lift is the sole means of supporting the vehicle’s weight.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
You use the wheel lift adapter to lift the truck, then stack rocks under the axle and let the rig back down… never remove a tire while the Hi-Lift is the sole means of supporting the vehicle’s weight.
Got it. Thank you.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i've had a couple hi-lift jacks over the years and have used them for all sorts of things except jacking a vehicle. i used one to lift the end of a shipping container off the ground and the way the jack is made, the weight made it tilt in toward the object being lifted and in the case of the shipping container, the jack tilted forward and dug into the container and dented it. i was on level concrete, so nothing to do with being on unlevel ground. not sure how to use the thing where it doesnt tilt in toward the load and dent/badly scratch it. i'd experiment some before using it on a vehicle. i used it to lift the side of a utility trailer and it did the same thing.

the hi-lifts are great. i've used them to pull fence posts out of the ground and straightening beams on metal buildings, etc. definitely a versatile tool for the price

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
i've had a couple hi-lift jacks over the years and have used them for all sorts of things except jacking a vehicle. i used one to lift the end of a shipping container off the ground and the way the jack is made, the weight made it tilt in toward the object being lifted and in the case of the shipping container, the jack tilted forward and dug into the container and dented it. i was on level concrete, so nothing to do with being on unlevel ground. not sure how to use the thing where it doesnt tilt in toward the load and dent/badly scratch it. i'd experiment some before using it on a vehicle. i used it to lift the side of a utility trailer and it did the same thing.

the hi-lifts are great. i've used them to pull fence posts out of the ground and straightening beams on metal buildings, etc. definitely a versatile tool for the price
Agreed, I’ve never had to use one on our Landcruiser, but we have had to pick up a 4Runner using the wheel strap/hooks more than once in order to get rocks piled up under the tires. Each time there was damage done to the quarter panels because the jack tilts in when under load. Now my son in law carries rubber wheel chocks to place between the jack & quarter panel.

Reactions: grubworm

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Looks like the tides are changing and folks have been learning something. I've been telling folks for years that farm jacks are no longer suitable to offroading in this day and age.
Back in the 80s when bumpers were steel not plastic and no better options were available they had their place, these days there are better options than a jack designed in early 1900s for tractors.
Not to mention people were here telling me they'd rather winch their vehicle with a farm jack by hand than use a electric winch not even a year ago. Well I have a bubble to burst unless your vehicle weighs less than 3k it isn't very smart to do that atleast if you value your rig, limbs and life.

johnandashleyadventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Torrance, Los Angeles County, California, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Bianchette
Member #

We were out on a run with about a half dozen vehicles and one had a tire blowout about 20 miles from anywhere.

People were carrying jacks of all kinds but in the end the only one that could lift the Jeep high enough was my Hi-Lift.

Unless I need to shed the weight, I'll always carry mine. As others have mentioned, they are versatile.

Reactions: K12