Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Greenwell Springs, Central, LA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Nicholson
Member #

So this is my second attempt to getting more involved on the forum. I joined awhile ago OB# 15047 but kinda went dormant while I hung out more at work. Well when I originally joined we only had my wife's 2017 JKUR and we we were happy going places in it. However my daughters keep growing and we keep buying things that we "need" for camping. The room in the Jeep is getting cramped. Also we live in Louisiana and as good as Jeeps are with traversing almost any terrain the swamp is not one of them. We do have excellent food and we can see boobs for the price of cheap plastic beads. So anytime we load up and go for a trip it is usually 5 hours minimum to get somewhere decent and some elevation (since we live below sea level). Enter the reason I have been working so much, I decided we needed another vehicle, something that we could ride comfortably in, tow things, and have a bed to put things in. Coincidently the Gladiators were just released so off to the dealership to order one. I spec'ed a nice Rubicon model with all the bells and whistles. I went out to test drive a Sport model they had on the lot and liked it a lot. Well I went to park the Gladiator and there sitting beside us is this gigantic Ram truck and I ask the salesman what is that. He jokes and says that is the original Rubicon truck. Ok you have my attention and it has a red tag that says last years model has to go $45,995. Hmm this is $15,000 less than what I'm looking at and has a 6.4 Hemi. So I test drove it and fell in love with it the room and how it drove. I was not crazy about the tan color so the salesman tells me they have a white 2019 model about to be unloaded from the train and would be there by the next weekend. He said the 19's had some changes like 8 speed transmission, synthetic rope in the Warn winch, slightly lifted more, and LED lights everywhere. So he worked up a price and this truck was purchased sight unseen.
My wife has been spoiled with her Jeep. Rock Krawler 4.5" lift, 37's, hydraulic assist steering, and a nice ARB fridge. There are a ton of other things but I am sure I am starting to loose some people because there are too many words here and they just want to see pictures. Well I finally finished another turn around at work and I am treating myself to some things for my new Powerwagon. I bought some Amp Research steps for it because my elderly mom was having hell getting in and out when I would take her to lunch. I also bought a bedcover but just sold it because I then discovered Nuthouse Industries and ordered their Tech II expedition rack. I am in the market for a rooftop tent. I was leaning towards a Freespirit 80" tent but after further research I am 99% sure I am getting the 23Zero 72" with the LTS canvas.
The goal is to use the truck to tow the Jeep so we can make some west coast trips and use the truck as a base camp and the harder trails with the Jeep. Don't worry the truck will go on some trail rides but just not as extreme. We want to make it to Easter Jeep Safari this year but I thing my budget is only going to get us as far as Big Bend National Park. If we go there then we would just be taking the Powerwagon. Look forward to getting some group events. See y'all on the trails soon.

2019-08-08_13-37-06_152.jpeg2019-08-13_16-25-56_082.jpeg2019-08-14_18-49-32_101.jpeg2019-09-22_07-14-45_462.jpeg

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

So this is my second attempt to getting more involved on the forum. I joined awhile ago OB# 15047 but kinda went dormant while I hung out more at work. Well when I originally joined we only had my wife's 2017 JKUR and we we were happy going places in it. However my daughters keep growing and we keep buying things that we "need" for camping. The room in the Jeep is getting cramped. Also we live in Louisiana and as good as Jeeps are with traversing almost any terrain the swamp is not one of them. We do have excellent food and we can see boobs for the price of cheap plastic beads. So anytime we load up and go for a trip it is usually 5 hours minimum to get somewhere decent and some elevation (since we live below sea level). Enter the reason I have been working so much, I decided we needed another vehicle, something that we could ride comfortably in, tow things, and have a bed to put things in. Coincidently the Gladiators were just released so off to the dealership to order one. I spec'ed a nice Rubicon model with all the bells and whistles. I went out to test drive a Sport model they had on the lot and liked it a lot. Well I went to park the Gladiator and there sitting beside us is this gigantic Ram truck and I ask the salesman what is that. He jokes and says that is the original Rubicon truck. Ok you have my attention and it has a red tag that says last years model has to go $45,995. Hmm this is $15,000 less than what I'm looking at and has a 6.4 Hemi. So I test drove it and fell in love with it the room and how it drove. I was not crazy about the tan color so the salesman tells me they have a white 2019 model about to be unloaded from the train and would be there by the next weekend. He said the 19's had some changes like 8 speed transmission, synthetic rope in the Warn winch, slightly lifted more, and LED lights everywhere. So he worked up a price and this truck was purchased sight unseen.
My wife has been spoiled with her Jeep. Rock Krawler 4.5" lift, 37's, hydraulic assist steering, and a nice ARB fridge. There are a ton of other things but I am sure I am starting to loose some people because there are too many words here and they just want to see pictures. Well I finally finished another turn around at work and I am treating myself to some things for my new Powerwagon. I bought some Amp Research steps for it because my elderly mom was having hell getting in and out when I would take her to lunch. I also bought a bedcover but just sold it because I then discovered Nuthouse Industries and ordered their Tech II expedition rack. I am in the market for a rooftop tent. I was leaning towards a Freespirit 80" tent but after further research I am 99% sure I am getting the 23Zero 72" with the LTS canvas.
The goal is to use the truck to tow the Jeep so we can make some west coast trips and use the truck as a base camp and the harder trails with the Jeep. Don't worry the truck will go on some trail rides but just not as extreme. We want to make it to Easter Jeep Safari this year but I thing my budget is only going to get us as far as Big Bend National Park. If we go there then we would just be taking the Powerwagon. Look forward to getting some group events. See y'all on the trails soon.

View attachment 136835View attachment 136836View attachment 136837View attachment 136838
Welcome back and nice addition.