Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
VW_Antenna.jpg

G'day,
I finally completed installing my HF Land Mobile Outpost radio on my rig after six years.

The antenna tuning column is a bit ungainly, but I've made it so that I can easily disconnect and store it elsewhere when not in use. Typically it would mount on a bull bar, but I intend Overlanding in a location where that is not permitted for my vehicle, so I've looked for an alternative.

HF Outpost radio is used in Australia for long-range communication in the outback. It uses defined channels between 2Mhz and 15MHz and is separate from Amateur (HAM) radio bands. Its original purpose was to contact the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS), which it still does and remote schooling via the School of the Air (SOTA), not so much nowadays.

I currently subscribe to the VKS-737 radio network, which offers 24-hour assistance, subject to radio propagation.

My radio is more than 30 years old. It is challenging to reprogram, with most attempts ending with fried EPROMS. It still works as it should, although I'm casually looking for a newer model that I can use in the HAM bands.
The Barrett 550R is 40W AM (potentially because I can't legally transmit in AM on those bands) and 125W PEP on SSB. The unit is "Type Approved", with licencing being either from a commercial reseller (VKS-737) or direct to the RFDS but with restrictions as far as location (you need to be in the outback).

The antenna is similar to a "screwdriver" antenna, except instead of having a motor arrangement uses relays and fixed coils. It is relatively light as the casing is made of plastic. It autotunes on transmit or if I press the "TUNE" button on the radio.

The radio provides an extra way of communication with the outside world should I need it. It should get plenty of use as I intend to spend much more time in the remoter areas in 2023.

Barrett_550R.jpg

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thank you for this excellent write-up. Very interesting. Design-wise the radio looks very similar to the Codan radios you usually see in NGO and UN rigs.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Thank you for this excellent write-up. Very interesting. Design-wise the radio looks very similar to the Codan radios you usually see in NGO and UN rigs.
Radios the same as mine were widely used by the military, particularly UN Peacekeepers. My radio is about the Balkan war vintage.

Enthusiast I

NSW Australia
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Nice one mate. I have a Barrett 950 which I have set up to be quick demountable for security and / or to install in either of my Perentie Land Rovers or as a basecamp radio.

I used to be a member of VKS-737 a couple of years ago but I have let my subscription lapse now that outpost HF is available on a class license, just like UHF CB or 27MHz AM CB but with the following caveats -
1. Outpost frequencies can only be used in areas where there is no phone signal. That doesn't necessarily mean outback or remote areas. If my vodaphone mobile can't get a signal somewhere then I can use outpost HF. It's unclear whether both parties need to be in an area without mobile phone service. That's problematic if I need to talk to my base in Kuranda since they have excellent phone reception there.
2. You must use type-approved equipment. The Barretts that you and I run are type-approved, but something like an Icom or Yaesu or something else like a Xiegu or similar are verboten on outpost frequencies, so there is somewhat of a barrier to entry there - the user needs a professional HF transceiver plus antenna solution to suit. You can't just key up a Baofeng.
3. You must use a callsign - whether it's your vehicle numberplate, your phone number or your VK callsign if you're a ham. Or you can just make one up. I like to use "Ghostrider One" like in Top Gun hahaIMG_20231105_131118_381.jpgIMG_20231105_131034_719.jpgIMG_20231105_130915_735.jpg

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Nice one mate. I have a Barrett 950 which I have set up to be quick demountable for security and / or to install in either of my Perentie Land Rovers or as a basecamp radio.

I used to be a member of VKS-737 a couple of years ago but I have let my subscription lapse now that outpost HF is available on a class license, just like UHF CB or 27MHz AM CB but with the following caveats -
1. Outpost frequencies can only be used in areas where there is no phone signal. That doesn't necessarily mean outback or remote areas. If my vodaphone mobile can't get a signal somewhere then I can use outpost HF. It's unclear whether both parties need to be in an area without mobile phone service. That's problematic if I need to talk to my base in Kuranda since they have excellent phone reception there.
2. You must use type-approved equipment. The Barretts that you and I run are type-approved, but something like an Icom or Yaesu or something else like a Xiegu or similar are verboten on outpost frequencies, so there is somewhat of a barrier to entry there - the user needs a professional HF transceiver plus antenna solution to suit. You can't just key up a Baofeng.
3. You must use a callsign - whether it's your vehicle numberplate, your phone number or your VK callsign if you're a ham. Or you can just make one up. I like to use "Ghostrider One" like in Top Gun hahaView attachment 271963View attachment 271964View attachment 271965
I like the idea of putting the radio in such a water- and dustproof box. That way it is well protected, you remain flexible and it is still quickly ready for use. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: TheJungleIsNeutral