Rank III

Member III

Washington, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Etheredge
Member #

1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
2) Location (General area is fine)
3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

Hello, everyone, Mark here. I’m reaching out from Washington State (Olympia/Lacey) area. I just recently started learning about overlanding after looking for more “innovative” ways to get out doors during COVID-19. My wife is from WA, I originally hail from Mississippi, and we have two small daughters and two dogs.
I recently traded in my VolkswagenJetta for a 2019 Silverado 1500 (RWD only). I’ve been wanting a truck forever and got a good deal on this pickup due to COVID (I guess there is a silver lining in everything). Pictures posted below. I understand that there might be many applications where a 2WD might not get me to all the places I want to go, but I am stubborn and love a challenge. If there is anyone that is running a similar rig I would love to know about your experiences and the process you took to make the Silverado fit your needs better in overlanding.
That being said, my experiences with overlanding are null. In the future my wife ans I are exploring the opus 4 as a means of comfortably including both our daughters and dogs into getting off the beaten path and exploring new trails. I would love to know how everyone makes their travels work with essentially a family of six. Look forward to meeting everyone and getting involved in something pleasant in these trying times.

Attachments

ShortBus

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Lancaster, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Reukauf
Member #

Welcome! I had a Z71 that was 2 wheel drive but had the limited slip rear and it did better than I expected in most cases off-road. Have fun!

Maedge

Rank III

Member III

Washington, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Etheredge
Member #

@ShortBus Awesome! I’ve been doing som research to understand how LS rear diffs work, and exploring if one was on my truck already or not. I’m pretty confident that I don’t have one, so it seems like that might be the first major (?) modification that’s I prepare for. Not sure how hard it is to do the work yourself; I have bare bones mechanic knowledge and I’m a bit Leary of some DIY projects since this truck is my daily driver. I love it, but I do cry over the gas mileage ever so often

Reactions: ShortBus

Maedge

Rank III

Member III

Washington, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Etheredge
Member #

@RickR thanks for the welcome, Rick! I've been to San Antonio once before when I was kid. How's the overlanding down in your parts? Growing up I spent a lot of time in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. As far as Texas goes, that's probably my favorite city.

Reactions: ShortBus

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

Well, I really haven't started, I am waiting on my first trailer, (as my wife wants an air conditioned bed to sleep in).
But I do go on trips to the beach alot and spend the night (by myself), and sleep in my truck.

Maedge

Rank III

Member III

Washington, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Etheredge
Member #

@RickR my wife and I were looking into some of hte off road trailers such as Expidition 2.0 and the Opus 4. After toying around with fginances we realized we need to wait until spring of next year before we can realistically pull the trigger and get one.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

Hello, everyone, Mark here. I’m reaching out from Washington State (Olympia/Lacey) area. I just recently started learning about overlanding after looking for more “innovative” ways to get out doors during COVID-19. My wife is from WA, I originally hail from Mississippi, and we have two small daughters and two dogs.
I recently traded in my VolkswagenJetta for a 2019 Silverado 1500 (RWD only). I’ve been wanting a truck forever and got a good deal on this pickup due to COVID (I guess there is a silver lining in everything). Pictures posted below. I understand that there might be many applications where a 2WD might not get me to all the places I want to go, but I am stubborn and love a challenge. If there is anyone that is running a similar rig I would love to know about your experiences and the process you took to make the Silverado fit your needs better in overlanding.
That being said, my experiences with overlanding are null. In the future my wife ans I are exploring the opus 4 as a means of comfortably including both our daughters and dogs into getting off the beaten path and exploring new trails. I would love to know how everyone makes their travels work with essentially a family of six. Look forward to meeting everyone and getting involved in something pleasant in these trying times.
Welcome Mark,
I am the Northwest Director. @Gabriel Bozeman is your closest Member Representative.
check out the “Full Sized” Rigs in the Overland Rigs section of the forums. There is also a “new” section for 2WD.
for trip planning, events, and to meet people close to you check out the members map, overland Bound meetups and the Rally Point.
Don’t hesitate to contact @Gabriel Bozeman or myself if you have any questions.

Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

ShortBus

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Lancaster, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Reukauf
Member #

@RickR thanks for the welcome, Rick! I've been to San Antonio once before when I was kid. How's the overlanding down in your parts? Growing up I spent a lot of time in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. As far as Texas goes, that's probably my favorite city.
My wife and I are big DFW fans too! 12 years in Grand Prairie gave us a great appreciation for the entire metroplex! I think that it was more about the people than the place. We also loved visiting the visiting the hill country and spent a couple of anniversaries in San Antonio! Tons of wheeling in K-rocks down south and Longview to the east of us. Also plenty of hidden gems right in the middle of the metroplex (Trinity River Bottoms)! I miss Texas!

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
What? Its not Luckenbach?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Welcome to Overland Bound Mark.
Your Regional Director is @M Rose for additional help or information.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course