Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I posted a comment in the new members thread, but I figured now that I have my member # I would make my own thread. Got the email today that I'm badge # 10046, kind of cool that it's so close to my screen name number, which I've been using for close to 20 years, and is the name of my sound company (1046 Productions).

I'm in northeast Wisconsin, new to overlanding, but have spent the last 5 years or so camping with my wife and our now 8 year old son. Until last year we always took our 2010 Subaru Outback with a hard shell rack box (which we found on the side of the road being thrown away, new locks for $20 and ready to rock). Last year we got a pop up camper, and didn't have much time to go far from home so we just hit the local state forest with that and my 99 Silverado. I've always been an outdoor enthusiast, and my family has taken to it pretty well too.

We are planning to take our first overlanding trip this spring (now that we know there is a term for what we were doing) on the Trans Wisconsin Trail. So far I'm not sure which vehicle we are taking. Thoughts are the truck because of all the extra room, and if we get in a tighter trail I don't mind the pinstripes on it as much as the Subie. The truck is already rusty and has 183,000 miles, a few scratches won't hurt my feelings. The Subie is in the shop right now getting a new transmission (on warranty thankfully), so I know it would be up to the task as well. Time will tell.

My wife and I are both officers on the board of directors for the Friends Of Point Beach State Forest, and try to do what we can to help out and give back to the state park system. We have done all of our previous camping trips at various state parks, and thought it would be cool to get involved. If you are in the area, stop by and check it out.

Otherwise, I manage a music (instrument) store, fix guitars, and am a sound engineer on the side. I also play in a few bands, though not as much as I'd like lately. When not working or outdoorsing (hiking, camping, hunting, fishing) I'm usually under a car wrenching on something. Be it maintenance on one of ours, working on a friend's 79 Camaro, or small repairs for extra cash. All in all, something I think will be very handy in future overlanding adventures.

So hey, I'm Ripley (last name, but what people call me usually), happy to be here. I have already learned some cool things on this forum, and hope to learn a lot more, and maybe meet some like minded people as well.

A few years ago, I think at Gov. Thompson State Park near Crivitz, WI

Reactions: ASNOBODY

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Welcome Ripley. I'm not far from you in South East WI. Definitely would like to come check out Point Beach.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Probably an hour and a half drive from MKE, depending on whereabouts you're starting. Hit me up if you're planning on heading up there, maybe we can meet you there and take a hike or something.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

I posted a comment in the new members thread, but I figured now that I have my member # I would make my own thread. Got the email today that I'm badge # 10046, kind of cool that it's so close to my screen name number, which I've been using for close to 20 years, and is the name of my sound company (1046 Productions).

I'm in northeast Wisconsin, new to overlanding, but have spent the last 5 years or so camping with my wife and our now 8 year old son. Until last year we always took our 2010 Subaru Outback with a hard shell rack box (which we found on the side of the road being thrown away, new locks for $20 and ready to rock). Last year we got a pop up camper, and didn't have much time to go far from home so we just hit the local state forest with that and my 99 Silverado. I've always been an outdoor enthusiast, and my family has taken to it pretty well too.

We are planning to take our first overlanding trip this spring (now that we know there is a term for what we were doing) on the Trans Wisconsin Trail. So far I'm not sure which vehicle we are taking. Thoughts are the truck because of all the extra room, and if we get in a tighter trail I don't mind the pinstripes on it as much as the Subie. The truck is already rusty and has 183,000 miles, a few scratches won't hurt my feelings. The Subie is in the shop right now getting a new transmission (on warranty thankfully), so I know it would be up to the task as well. Time will tell.

My wife and I are both officers on the board of directors for the Friends Of Point Beach State Forest, and try to do what we can to help out and give back to the state park system. We have done all of our previous camping trips at various state parks, and thought it would be cool to get involved. If you are in the area, stop by and check it out.

Otherwise, I manage a music (instrument) store, fix guitars, and am a sound engineer on the side. I also play in a few bands, though not as much as I'd like lately. When not working or outdoorsing (hiking, camping, hunting, fishing) I'm usually under a car wrenching on something. Be it maintenance on one of ours, working on a friend's 79 Camaro, or small repairs for extra cash. All in all, something I think will be very handy in future overlanding adventures.

So hey, I'm Ripley (last name, but what people call me usually), happy to be here. I have already learned some cool things on this forum, and hope to learn a lot more, and maybe meet some like minded people as well.

A few years ago, I think at Gov. Thompson State Park near Crivitz, WI
Congratulations on your number! Nice that it's so close to your screen name!

JzzR83

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Savage, MN
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0VFV
I just downloaded the waypoints to the TWAT (Trans Wi Adventure Trail) a few days ago. Now I need to set the date and throw the kids in the Jeep and do the trail. The fam and I will be camping in Copper Falls State Park sometime this summer with some friends on July 13th - 15th. N. WI is beautiful!

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Got my emblem and patch today. Now I just need my Outback back so I can put it on!

JzzR83, we are really excited to do the TWAT, I think we have a weekend set, now we are trying to plan if we want to leave the night before and stay in Galena or just start from home in the morning (4 hours to Galena). Still not sure if we are flying solo or getting some friends to come with. Either way it should be good. I haven't been to Copper Falls, but I've been up in that area once or twice and there is a lot of great scenery up there.

Attachments