Help with winter camping

• HTML tutorial

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

I’m in need of some help from our group, as you know it’s starting to get cold at night. Up here in Montana we have snow on the ground already. This past summer I made the decision to buy a RTT so that I could camp all year around. So with that came the problem of heating the tent safely at night. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience in dealing with low temperatures.

nicolesea

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mission Valley San Diego
Member #

If you have a Tepui tent, which i think you do, they make WeatherHoods. They should help with the cooler temps. Not too sure on price. I bought one of their Baja series (so cal) but they offer an aluminized canopy that would help in cooler temps too. Give them a call and let them know what you have to see what their solutions are. I’ve also heard of people using space blankets on top of their tents with a mybuddy heater. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

Thanks for the heads up, I ordered the winter cover several weeks ago and have it packed up in the gear. I’ll look up the space buddy and see how they work, thanks again

Reactions: nicolesea

Six Actual

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Benicia, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wickett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA6XM
I was just out in the mountains this past weekend and we slept in our RTT at about 25 degrees. We have a Autohome Maggiolina and we use flannel sheets and a down comforter. Neither the wife or I were cold at all during the night. I would feel very confident taking it down to the teens without hesitation. I did however just pick up a Mr. Buddy heater in case it was too cold. My plan was to pop it up in the tent for a bit before we got up there to warm it up. But as it turned out, we didn't need it. Our tent has about a 2 inch foam pad as the base and a small layer of egg crate foam on top of that. Slept in drawers and t-shirt. Throw on a skull cap and some good dry socks and you will be golden. I can pass on one other tip that we learned when we were still sleeping at ground level in a tent. When you or your partner roll around during the night, that movement usually sucks the cold outside air right into your sleeping bag with you. Kinda sucks. We found that getting a couple of those quilted military poncho liners and stuffing them in the bag with you takes up a lot of that airspace and limits that rush of air into your cozy warm bag. At 20 degrees, things like this do help. Enjoy!!

nicolesea

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mission Valley San Diego
Member #

I was just out in the mountains this past weekend and we slept in our RTT at about 25 degrees. We have a Autohome Maggiolina and we use flannel sheets and a down comforter. Neither the wife or I were cold at all during the night. I would feel very confident taking it down to the teens without hesitation. I did however just pick up a Mr. Buddy heater in case it was too cold. My plan was to pop it up in the tent for a bit before we got up there to warm it up. But as it turned out, we didn't need it. Our tent has about a 2 inch foam pad as the base and a small layer of egg crate foam on top of that. Slept in drawers and t-shirt. Throw on a skull cap and some good dry socks and you will be golden. I can pass on one other tip that we learned when we were still sleeping at ground level in a tent. When you or your partner roll around during the night, that movement usually sucks the cold outside air right into your sleeping bag with you. Kinda sucks. We found that getting a couple of those quilted military poncho liners and stuffing them in the bag with you takes up a lot of that airspace and limits that rush of air into your cozy warm bag. At 20 degrees, things like this do help. Enjoy!!
Mr. Buddy! That’s what it’s called lol

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: APtrail2005

LandPirate

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

1. If you are storing small amounts of water it will freeze overnight. Ask me how I know... Try to insulate it somehow so you have liquid water to drink when you wake. Or leave it in the car not the tent.
2. If you do decide to do dishes bring extra propane, heat some water on the stove and use hot/warm water to do dishes. Freezing hands is no fun when it's cold out. Avoid dishes if possible with pouch foods or paper plates, etc.
3. Sleep with a beanie on. Military style fleece beanies are awesome and cheap.
4. A real, properly temperature rated sleeping bag is great, otherwise layer sleeping gear.
5. Have fresh socks & your clothes already in your tent. Wake up, change if required, go. Sucks needing stuff when you wake up in the cold and then you have to climb out of that tent to get it and then go back up. PITA.
7. Hot coffee first thing if you're a coffee drinker. Hot coco or tea perhaps, if your'e not. Sets the day in the right direction. :)

I don't yet own a Tepui WeatherHood but I think that's going to happen after this trip I just finished. I think it really would have been great for some of the sub-freezing nights and definitely for any future snow camping.

Enjoy.

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

Folks using the Mr. Buddy heater, how do you deal with all the moisture it produces while running? I tried one once, but the condensation that formed on the tent walls/moisture absorbed by the bedding was unmanageable. What am I missing?

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

Folks using the Mr. Buddy heater, how do you deal with all the moisture it produces while running? I tried one once, but the condensation that formed on the tent walls/moisture absorbed by the bedding was unmanageable. What am I missing?
That’s a great question, I didn’t even think of how much moisture from the temperature difference. I’m going to buy one today and use it on my trip, I’ll post results in a few days. If anyone has questions or advice let me know. Heading from Montana to Nevada for 5 days. Staying off grid while looking for UFO

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

That’s a great question, I didn’t even think of how much moisture from the temperature difference. I’m going to buy one today and use it on my trip, I’ll post results in a few days. If anyone has questions or advice let me know. Heading from Montana to Nevada for 5 days. Staying off grid while looking for UFO
I'll be interested in your feedback, thanks.