Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Just had tires mounted at a local shop and the light wont go out. Any others with this issue? I had them install new sensors and can't tell if they got it stuck in a loop. I've disconnect the battery for a few hours now and will see if that helps clear the issue. also tried the reset button holding it in for 45 seconds with the key on but not started. Have driven it on the hyw about 40 for 15 minutes a few times and yes I have double checked the tires are at the right presure and the spare too. Am I missing something? Next idea is to get a learning tool and program them here at the house

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

How long have you driven on the new sensors? When I got new ones it took a few days for the light to go out. Even when I air down now it takes about an hour of driving before the light shuts off when I air back up.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
How long have you driven on the new sensors? When I got new ones it took a few days for the light to go out. Even when I air down now it takes about an hour of driving before the light shuts off when I air back up.
in the past three days about 100 miles of Hwy and a bit more running around in town. I just got a device in the mail that will get it out of the loop, if that is what is happening. Next I'm guessing is the learning tool to reset the system.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Buy the tool on Amazon (cheap) and learn the reset procedure, it's fairly easy.
Yes I just have to find one that will work with a 2004 Lexus 470 and doesn't require scanning the barcode on the units now that the tires are mounted. This will also be helpful with the extra set of tires.
I miss the days when you could just crawl under the truck and work on things without having a CompSci degree

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
first tool has come in the mail that it made to get the Lexus out of the "LOOP" that it is in trying to find the old sensors.

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
See if you can turn them off.

With Ford's, if you download FORSCAN software, read one million pages of the FORSCAN forums, get the access code for the software, shake a live chicken at the moon, and find a computer dongle that can connect to the truck more than half of the times it's plugged in........

......you can easily turn them off. Not sure if Toyota/Lexus has such a thing.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
See if you can turn them off.

With Ford's, if you download FORSCAN software, read one million pages of the FORSCAN forums, get the access code for the software, shake a live chicken at the moon, and find a computer dongle that can connect to the truck more than half of the times it's plugged in........

......you can easily turn them off. Not sure if Toyota/Lexus has such a thing.
oddly this makes me feel much better about my failure to communicate...some trucks you just can't reach. Off to read about Forscan (Sounds like the Fortran on a 5 1/2 inch floppy!) Oh the joys of computers making life so much easier

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It's a Russian program just for Fords.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
oh fantastic another fluid to keep topped off, водка. Learning tool in the mail now. Now to teach this tool how to use it

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Heh
Tire sensor's are real easy to learn...or not. I have a programmer that will learn most of them. I'm sure you researched if there was a manual learn mode. If there is, most of the time you need a good magnet and the proper order. You would just put it in learn mode, place magnet on drivers wheel near valve stem and when the car signals you (honk) you go clockwise. Then there's the chicken dance...
If you think this is fun, you should see what it took to manually learn keyless entry into some vehicles without a scan tool.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
if I can wait an extra five hours to see the concorde airline landing in ontario ca when I was 14 I'm sure I can do the car tire tango today!
Starting to think I'll be drunk as a Russian Sailor by the end of this. @smritte I'll keep you all posted on the outcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: smritte

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
so I learned that you should by TPMS replacements in sets of five, because the issue is with the spare tire. I am the weakest link. another step in my life long quest to be smarter than the tool itself

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Heh.
Watched a guy at work beat his head against a wall because of that. Sensor in the spare was bad.
Even though they tend to outlast their projected lifespan, the TPMS battery was only designed to last 5-6 year's. That means the manufactures expected them to be replaced when the tires were replaced. Some of the sensors are over $100 each, X4 (5 with spare). Too bad the battery cant be replaced.

Reactions: Kozysnack

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Heh.
Watched a guy at work beat his head against a wall because of that. Sensor in the spare was bad.
Even though they tend to outlast their projected lifespan, the TPMS battery was only designed to last 5-6 year's. That means the manufactures expected them to be replaced when the tires were replaced. Some of the sensors are over $100 each, X4 (5 with spare). Too bad the battery cant be replaced.
Now that could explain why my moms Toyota TPMS stays on. Checked multiple times on the PSI. I did not know about a baby battery could be at fault. Never, ever thought about the spare. Learn something new all the time. Had thought it might be a dealer/car issue $$$, but will take it to a tire store $ (discount) and have a new sensor put on the spare. A cheap alternative to going by the dealer. The tire shop never brought up this tidbit of knowledge :astonished:

Reactions: Kozysnack

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
crazy it's the same price for one or four, so I'll put the other three up on the pay it forward thread for the next guy that needs the extra to replace the spare
Highlander, Land Cruiser, $ runners and Lexus GX 460 and 470 all use the same

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Now that could explain why my moms Toyota TPMS stays on. Checked multiple times on the PSI. I did not know about a baby battery could be at fault. Never, ever thought about the spare. Learn something new all the time. Had thought it might be a dealer/car issue $$$, but will take it to a tire store $ (discount) and have a new sensor put on the spare. A cheap alternative to going by the dealer. The tire shop never brought up this tidbit of knowledge :astonished:
Let me know if you want me to put one in the mail to you to get that light off in your mom's car. Part number OEM 4260733021