Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Hello folks - I'm looking for a little advice with my lighting on my 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring. I have lights on my roof basket and they work great, but there is only one button to turn on or off all of the lights. I'd like to be able to have it set up with one switch to turn on the forward facing lights, one switch to turn on the left side lights, one switch to turn on the right side lights, and one switch to turn on the rear facing lights. Here is a VERY rudimentary diagram of how the lights are set up in the basket that I just made in Microsoft Paint...
Untitled.jpg

I know that is awful, but it's the best I can do. I ran the power for the basket up from under the hood, along the windshield gutter (sealed it in using windshield sealant) and then it connects to the basket. Is there any way I can make the lights turn on independently like I described above without having to run more wires to the roof of the car?

Reactions: JButtress

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Waterproof wireless relays at each light you want to turn on or off, it would be really ugly and likely fail after a while though.
I don't want to do that. I thought maybe I could put some kind of marine relay box inside the basket behind the fairing, but then the problem becomes getting the controller/switches into the cabin of the car.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I don't want to do that. I thought maybe I could put some kind of marine relay box inside the basket behind the fairing, but then the problem becomes getting the controller/switches into the cabin of the car.
You could hide the relays the switch problem is why i mentioned wireless, basically the wire you have run right now would be the main power it goes to wirelss activated relays and from relays to individual lights

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Is there any way I can make the lights turn on independently like I described above without having to run more wires to the roof of the car?
Short answer is no. One wire per switch would be required. You could have some sort of switch system attached to the roof basket and leave the forward lights in the on positions. The switch in your car would be the master switch for all devices on the roof. When you get to a camp site, you could then turn off the roof lights at the switch panel on the roof basket and turn on whichever ones you want. Just an idea.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Is there any way I can make the lights turn on independently like I described above without having to run more wires to the roof of the car?
I use a wireless transmitter. A single power/ground cable runs everything. Like you I have front, side and rear lights, as well as a bed light since it is a pick up.