louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i have a 5x8 square drop camp trailer and i want to cut out the roof and install a pop up roof like the VW vans were doing years back

im wondering if anyone on here has experience with such a thing. i have hunted all over online and do not see anything available. seems like these are custom made for specific vehicles

something like this would be perfect...

1657580777301.png

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
i have a 5x8 square drop camp trailer and i want to cut out the roof and install a pop up roof like the VW vans were doing years back

im wondering if anyone on here has experience with such a thing. i have hunted all over online and do not see anything available. seems like these are custom made for specific vehicles

View attachment 235422
There is a guy (Eric) in Grand Junction,CO that builds aluminum popup roofs for Landcruisers. The place is called Campteq. You can check him on Instagram. The unit for a landcruiser is about $10k and it’s built to perfection. I’m not sure if he will take the job but it’s worth asking if you have the budget.
Cheers mate.

Reactions: grubworm

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

View attachment 235422
Some of the tiny trailer guys have done variations on this. All are custom fabricated.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
yeah, looks like i'll have to fab it myself. i was wanting to be lazy and hopefully find something factory made that i could essentially just drop in.
i have a plasma cutter, welder and plenty of grinding discs so i'll do a metal frame and then just glass a piece of 3/4 plywood for the lid.

like a lot of things in life now, i know how to do it and i have the tools...i just dont want to do it...