Launch Member

Contributor I

Landurm, SC
First Name
Adam
Last Name
J
Member #

Hey guys this will be a 95 percent daily driver in the mountains of Western NC, beside that some overlanding in the local area. What do you think about this quote? Also your thoughts on my choice of OME basic suspension set up w/ ARB Summit bumper. Was going to add roof rack and under armor later as money is tight.

This is our recent conversation.

"
I highly suggest you go with an Engo of the same size over a Smittybilt. They are the same cost and Engo is worlds better than Smittybilt. The cost on that winch with Engo is $300. A basic OME 4Runner setup is $1000 and comes in light, medium and heavy. I’d go medium (even with the ARB bumper) and you can up the spring ratings from there as needed. So bumper, lift and winch would be $3,069.85 and roughly $600 in labor. Plus $60 for an alignment."

THoughts on the winch and the over cost? Thanks.

Hesko

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Landurm, SC
First Name
Adam
Last Name
J
Member #

I am obviously very new to 4x4 and overland in general that is why I respect the opinion of those with more experience. I am also taking a bit at a time as to gain a better experience base and general knowledge. Dare I be the guy breaking his rig he put 12k into but has no clue. Anyone in Western NC who would show a Marine the ropes?

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
What gen 4runner do you have? I have a 3rd gen with the OME medium coils which gave me a 3" lift in the rear and currently I have 1.5" spacers on top of the new Toyota Trail edition front coils (1" taller than stock). Stock bumpers and it sits nice with a small rake towards the front when empty. Loaded up with a week's worth of camping gear and food and it sits level. The ride is great.
Engo vs Smittybuilt winch well that is up to you. How much do you plan on using the winch, what is the rating, compare the line speed and stall ratings, steel cable vs synthetic rope, does it come with remote controls, mounting hardware, weight of the winch, warranty, draw on the battery, how deep are your pockets? You can get a $300 10,000lb winch and have it for emergencies or you can get an $1800 winch and have it as a daily work winch. Both will pull you out of a sticky situation but the expensive one might get the job done quicker or not.

Hesko

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Landurm, SC
First Name
Adam
Last Name
J
Member #

Graeman,

I have a 2019 sr5 w/ the XP package to get the trd pro wheels and grill, don't know if those rails with the shitty steps could double as sliders, but I will try. I will only use the winch in emergency's a few times a year max, I just want to work when called on. I do not have deep pockets I just want to get out in the woods again. Thanks for the feedback.