Help us pick our next rig!

• HTML tutorial

Trusty JK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culver City, CA, USA
Member #

That is one great problem to have!!!!! A very exciting decision to make. I myself am a Jeep owner and my first instinct is to tell you is option B. That would be perfect for every aspect with the exception of one thing, you are a family of 5, and while you are traveling 3 people being squeezed in the back of the Jeep for long periods would not be ideal. For your size family if you have the option to go with C big size van with that set up would be the best option for your family size. Thats my personal opinion, the van would have more room for the family over all the options, and lifted with an upgraded suspension like the picture in option C, your golden!

Reactions: kappels and Arepas

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

View attachment 82086 My wife & I love our jku’s. Would never think of owning anything else. Looked @ Tacoma’s, fj’s, vans tec. & in my opinion nothing felt better than the Jeep. Thing is solid drives like a tank & we just love them hands down. Good luck with your adventures.
But you're not a family of 5 [emoji23]

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

Family and I are hunting down which way to go with our new overland rig for 2019. Boy oh boy though are we having a hard time pulling the trigger on which way to go. So for fun and perhaps some view points we haven't thought of , we are reaching out to the awesome community.
Which has your vote and why for a family of 5?
A: 01 Grand Cherokee with an LS swap and overland trailer with Cvt tent.
B: JKU with overland trailer with Cvt tent.
C: E series 13 passenger van with rear seat removed for galley and gear storage. Cvt tent on top.
D: Fullsize crew cab truck with drawer system, topper and Cvt tent on top.
View attachment 82085
C or D all day long. Pulling a trailer can get old, fast.

ECHAIL

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Virginia Beach, VA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hailey
Member #

Yes my bad I missed that part duh :) sorry good luck with your search.
Great post Man!

Personally, I like the full size option. I am biased because I am driving a tundra crew max with drawer system and love the storage space. I’m 6’3 and there is so much room! We have 2 kids and it’s nice to be able to jump in back to handle “baby needs” and have just as much leg room. I still pull a trailer for supplies and rtt; I like the base camp and still be able to go on short excursions. If I go without the Family I can add a small tent to the truck and leave the trailer, there are so many options for both that I just choose both lol.

No option is wrong, it comes down to the trails you want to go on and how comfortable you want to be. IMO keeps are tight on space but great on trails (and possibly cheaper to mod)... the choice is yours.

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

We have both in our family, and I recommend the truck option.

Back in 2011/12 we bought a JKU and a teardrop trailer, and we did a trip from VA to UT, NV, AZ. The boys were 10 and 12 at the time and it was "ok" in the Jeep (with a cooler between them for beverages and peace keeping, the trunk full and a lot of stuff inside the teardrop). For sleeping we had an additional 10x10 side tent that connects to one side of the trailer, so space in base camp was no problem. However, the trip was slow since Jeeps are not fast (and there are speed limits for trailers in some states).

Fast forward and we are thinking of restoring an Airstream which is way beyond what the Jeep can tow. In 2016 we bought a F150 crew cab with the EcoBoost engine, and this thing has power *and* space :-) It easily seats 5 adults and on longer trips i voluntarily sat in the back because it is so nice (and the boys, now 18 and 16, can get some driving practice with the bravest person in the world - my wife - sitting in the passenger seat and teach them ;-)

Since the Airstream is still a few years out, we will buy a new rack and a roof top tent for the truck this year when we will do a Grand Teton trip this summer. The Jeep now is my personal toy (still drive it rather as a daily driver), but for long trips the truck it is.

So long story short: take it from a Jeep guy of 16 years - in your situation you want to have a larger vehicle. 5 people have too much stuff for the Jeep options.

2018-01-20_06-35-32.jpg

Last edited: