Help! Trying to decide on a trailer and my brain is melting!

• HTML tutorial

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I will have my trailer up at the Expo but not on the Expo grounds. I can only attend Sat-Sun this year. I am meeting at least one other Overland Bound member to give him a tour of my trailer on Sunday between 4-5 PM in town. While I would love to bring it into the grounds parking will probably be an issue. Subject to change and if we get a small group that wants to see it I can see if I can bring it in on Sunday since that is a less busy day.

Anyway, if anyone wants to see a VRV let me know. I am happy to show it and tell you everything I like and dislike about the trailer. Just PM me and I will add you to the list. Thanks, Chris

Reactions: Road

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I will have my trailer up at the Expo but not on the Expo grounds. I can only attend Sat-Sun this year. I am meeting at least one other Overland Bound member to give him a tour of my trailer on Sunday between 4-5 PM in town. While I would love to bring it into the grounds parking will probably be an issue. Subject to change and if we get a small group that wants to see it I can see if I can bring it in on Sunday since that is a less busy day.

Anyway, if anyone wants to see a VRV let me know. I am happy to show it and tell you everything I like and dislike about the trailer. Just PM me and I will add you to the list. Thanks, Chris
Cant wait to see it in Flagstaff!

Reactions: 1Louder

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Cant wait to see it in Flagstaff!
There will be another owner with one on the grounds. If I can find out where he camps I will let you know.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
There will be another owner with one on the grounds. If I can find out where he camps I will let you know.
Thanks that way I wont need to move my jeep. But if your showing yours on Sunday I want to see it and what you have done to it.

Either way works for me, Thanks

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
My wife and I were all hot to get a teardrop and looked at them at the Expo about 5 years ago. We both thought "coffin". GO TO THE EXPO and see what you think for yourself. Amazing stuff being done in Australia and South Africa. US mfgs. are 10 years behind these guys unless you're interested in getting just a basic military style trailer with decades old suspension components, hitches, etc. Study this: http://www.theadventureportal.com/off-road-trailer-buyers-guide-2015-2016/ New mfgs/imports popping up all the time. Just remember that delivery times and dealer support vary wildly. If a manufacturer or importer says "6 mo.", it might turn out to be a year or 18 months. Do your homework.

Reactions: GeoYota

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

My wife and I were all hot to get a teardrop and looked at them at the Expo about 5 years ago. We both thought "coffin". GO TO THE EXPO and see what you think for yourself. Amazing stuff being done in Australia and South Africa. US mfgs. are 10 years behind these guys unless you're interested in getting just a basic military style trailer with decades old suspension components, hitches, etc. Study this: http://www.theadventureportal.com/off-road-trailer-buyers-guide-2015-2016/ New mfgs/imports popping up all the time. Just remember that delivery times and dealer support vary wildly. If a manufacturer or importer says "6 mo.", it might turn out to be a year or 18 months. Do your homework.
That article, a couple years old now and quite outdated for listings, was the start of @Steve 's thread here on Off-Road Trailer Manufacturers, which has been added to and commented on quite a bit since posted almost exactly two years ago. A lot of good info and updates in the thread that can be of help, too, @OBiE0311 .

It's a bit of a generality to say US mfgs are 10 yrs behind or use decades old suspension components or hitches, etc. Schutt Industries and their XVenture trailers are military heritage, yes (their primary biz is still military trailers for govts around the world), but are state of the art as far as construction and components. I've been to their huge campus spread out in Clintonville WI. It's quite impressive.

I researched for a looong time, looking at all options available from Australia and South Africa, many of which have outlets now in the US, and in the end chose the XV-2 from Schutt as the most versatile, rugged, long-lived and dependable of the bunch. It will outlive me and my kid too, probably, and still look and behave much the same. Solar capable, great power center with multiple 12v outlets throughout, water heater, mil-spec plumbing and electrical, built-in rock lights, cargo lights, and rack lighting, and a huge cargo area covered by a hard-rolling titanium tonneau cover. Best value for the money, hands down, and I can use it for far more than just camping.

Now, as far as components to add to one's trailer, I would have to agree, in general; my awning comes from South Africa and my ground tent comes from Australia. They were simply the best I could find, not only in quality and durability, but in value, too. Just like my trailer.

Road

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
I agree these are very good, basic trailers. And it's one of the few US dealers for the Australian made Ark XO Trailer Jack. But, they're only doing what's been done overseas for years - not that we could get them! The limitations of the Max Coupler, as one example, have been discussed in great detail on various forums. The couplers you can get overseas are more robust, higher performing, and easier to use. Dealers willing to pay to get them US DOT certified has been the big drawback to availability. Components that meet basic Australian performance standards are far higher that most US trailer mfgs. even offer. Couplers like the McHitch and Hitchmaster are just becoming available in the US. As you go up in size for off-road trailers, the differences are more obvious. I have a great US made VMI Offroad Canyon trailer that was custom made for us 4 years ago. VMI has upped their game since then, but they're still way behind what's coming out of Australia. Suspension system development may be the biggest area of growth overseas.

The OP was talking about possibly purchasing a high end trailer like a Conqueror and I just grabbed an article to show the numbers of options available. At this level of investment, and need for utility and reliability, he really needs to stay on top of the market. Hard to go wrong with the type of trailers Schutt offers but Nuthouse Industries in Ohio is probably going to leave them in the dust. https://nuthouseindustries.com/shop/expedition-trailers/peanut/

In any event, the best off-road trailers are the ones that get used the most. :)

Ozzie H

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
First Name
Ozzie
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

Have you looked at Bivouac camping trailer. I just got one last year I love it

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

This is easily the most responded-to thread I've ever started anywhere...

Love the replies and really appreciate the input, everyone! Lots of great information to consider and plenty to keep me busy, though I'm not sure it's made my brain less melty...

@Ozzie H : I have glanced at Bivouac but not really looked at them. I will add to the "must look at them" list!

Lead Dog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake Havasu City, Arizona, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Clary
Member #

If anyone likes the Hiker they should also look at VRV. Especially if you like to DIY Stuff. While there is no rear galley one to your liking could easily be made. Slightly lower price point too. The Eco Flyer would be most similar in style to the Hiker.
Definitely not a lower price point! Someone is giving false info out there!,

Lead Dog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Randy
Last Name
Clary
Member #

Our Med Duty trailers which is the same as everyone else's Off Road is a great Deal starting at $6295. Our Extreme Off Road starts @ $ 8995 on a 5x8. Give us a chance and rethink apples to apples. you'll be surprised how much you get for your Dollar and it's built with longevity in mind!

18118792_1368732693204978_4470799954556858824_n.jpg

30706098_1743893462355564_6285019745161905843_n.jpg

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Definitely not a lower price point! Someone is giving false info out there!,
I don't want to argue with you. We priced one out with you a year ago and it was more expensive. So we can say "it depends" on the model and options you choose.

I am NOT bashing Hiker. I am merely saying there other options out there and I will leave it at that.

With regards to VRV pricing is available on their website. Anyone can fill out a quick form and download it. Including Lead Dog... :)

Last edited:

Lead Dog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Randy
Last Name
Clary
Member #

I don't want to argue with you. We priced one out with you a year ago and it was more expensive. So we can say "it depends" on the model and options you choose.

I am NOT bashing Hiker. I am merely saying there other options out there and I will leave it at that.

With regards to VRV pricing is available on their website. Anyone can fill out a quick form and download it. Including Lead Dog... :)
I have, I did, and We can still beat it. ? The Flyer starts @ $11,320 . Our Med Duty 5x9 same size! Starts at $7295 with a 3500 axle not a 2,000. For $4k more we can throw in a lot of options! Please dont spread bad truth if its not correct! I dont down grade anyone elses rigs because Everyone has there opnion. But dont spread bad info about ours as well please!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have, I did, and We can still beat it. ? The Flyer starts @ $11,320 . Our Med Duty 5x9 same size! Starts at $7295 with a 3500 axle not a 2,000. For $4k more we can throw in a lot of options! Please dont spread bad truth if its not correct! I dont down grade anyone elses rigs because Everyone has there opnion. But dont spread bad info about ours as well please!
If you even read my first post on this thread I stated there is no perfect trailer, there are lots options and the thread starter should take his time. There plenty of variables in the decision making process.

I’m not spreading bad info. I know what I was personally quoted for a 5x9 Hiker and what I paid for my Flyer. I told you I was/am not bashing anything Hiker makes. I’m done. If your sales pitch works. Fine.

It’s free advice for anyone to take or ignore. I have owned 4 different trailers in 5 years includIng ones cheaper and more expensive than the VRV/Hiker price point. That was the point of my replies. Not intended to mislead or sway anyone to any brand.