Help! Trying to decide on a trailer and my brain is melting!

• HTML tutorial

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hello Overland family!

My wife and I have decided to get into an overland trailer to make adventuring a bit easier all around. The idea is that we can haul the trailer to hard-to-reach areas, then establish base camp, unhook and continue exploring without the trailer.

The issue is that we can't decide one which one! We've looked at minimalist trailers like Ruger and super-fancy-pants trailers like Conqueror. We would really, REALLY love to have one in time for OL Expo West, but we definitley want one in time for our Washington trip at the end of June.

Our ideal trailer would have space for an RTT with annex and an awning would be a bonus. Don't necessarily need a kitchen, but we would need some sort of space for cooking. Don't need a shower or anything, but wouldn't hate it either.

Thanks in advance! Let's start a convo!

(Mods, if this is the wrong place, please move!)

Crapitecture

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Spokane, WA
Member #

It might be a good thing to wait and attend OL Expo west and see what’s there first hand. You might be able to negotiate a good deal on one there too. I’ve been researching them for quite a while and I seriously contemplated Turtleback’s new entry level rig, but this weekend I decided to go the DIY route since I found a great deal on a little heavy duty trailer that will be a base for my DIY expedition trailer. It’s useable now for most environs and I can build what I want as I can afford it.

Good luck!

Reactions: OBiE0311

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
If you are looking for a new trailer most of the vendors probably won't have any available in time of the Expo. It doesn't hurt to ask but most are cranking out trailers which have already been purchased and will be delivered there.

1. Budget?
1a. Tow vehicle(s)
2. You say simple or maybe a Conquerer. Well you for sure need to narrow things down.
3. Can you rent something for the Expo?
4. What type of terrain? Easy, moderate, occasional rock crawling? That will help narrow down trailer type. A Turtleback can go anywhere. My VRV can go to about 60-70% of what my Turtleback could do. EVERYTHING is a trade-off. There is no perfect trailer. So with that in mind make a list of priorities.

You didn't mention teardrops. I know Hiker has an 11 month lead time. Turtleback is probably 4-8 weeks (that's typical build time), Moby 1 (who knows they used to be 18 months), VRV probably 6-8 weeks.

My personal experience after 4 different trailers. I don't like the tub styles (M416 or clone) unless they have slide out drawers. I hate bending over lifting gear or dealing with a lid that has to go up and down. I built a Turtleback Clone and owned a Turtleback. AWESOME Trailers. I just didn't like sleeping in a cold tent. Did it for a few years and now I have a teardrop. The kitchen in the Turtleback is 2nd to none. It may be out of your price range. See question #1

There are many manufacturers now. Most good, some great, and a number not good. You have to decide what is most important to you. I don't think anyone else can do this for you. I would try to find something to rent (if possible for the Expo), take the time to look at all of the manufacturers at the Expo and then order something. Probably will NOT be ready for your June trip but in the long run hopefully you will get the right trailer. DO NOT pressure yourself into buying something because it is available and you have to have something now.

What works for me might not work for you and that's why there are so many options. Regardless of trailer type I like to have the following:

1. Easily accessible storage and lots of it
2. A kitchen if possible
- Turtleback you can cook in minutes and tent setup takes 10
- Teardrop you can sleep in minutes but cooking take 10 min (Mine does not have a kitchen in back)
3. Water either a place to store lots of Jerry Cans or a tank that is 15 gallons or more.
4. Shower is nice but even though I had one in 2 of my trailers I rarely used them. Others I camp with use them every night.
5. Matching wheels/tires (Not a must have but a nice convenience item for long trip)

Maybe make a list of the Top 5 you are considering and ask for owner feedback based on that.

Last edited:

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

Definitely wait and look at the vendors who have trailers at Overland Expo West 2018 as well as wander the camping area and look at trailers there. There is such a huge variety and you really don't want to make a mistake with this purchase. In addition, talking to the actual vendors really goes a long way towards making a decision. One of the big deciding factors for my trailer purchase was my interaction with the owners of the company.

My wife and I spent almost a year researching everything from a small military style trailer all the way up to possibly an 18' Lance. We set our minimum criteria which were off road capable (anywhere the truck can go), hard side walls, on board water, stove top and lots of storage. Some of our optional criteria were 12 volt fridge, hot water, propane heat and air conditioning. We compromised on the optional stuff and have a trailer that is well suited for the way we like to adventure. Now, that trailer has changed significantly over time so if you like to "tinker" you may want to consider that in your purchase. I significantly upgraded my electrical including solar, added a 12 volt fridge, roof rack, storage boxes, an awning, side room and numerous other small things.

-Curtiss

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I think Hiker is the best deal going and they are working on space for 12v fridges. I can't wait 12 months though. I'm commissioning the build of a custom trailer next month. I'm really looking forward to getting out with it.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I think Hiker is the best deal going and they are working on space for 12v fridges. I can't wait 12 months though. I'm commissioning the build of a custom trailer next month. I'm really looking forward to getting out with it.
If anyone likes the Hiker they should also look at VRV. Especially if you like to DIY Stuff. While there is no rear galley one to your liking could easily be made. Slightly lower price point too. The Eco Flyer would be most similar in style to the Hiker.

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Thanks for taking the time to respond guys!

We are leaning heavily towards checking out the offerings at the expo and going from there. The downside is that we really want one for our trip at the end of June, as that will be the longest we've ever been camping and it would be great to not get the car all crammed up! I am going to return Turtleback's call today just to get an idea of what we're looking at price-wise from them.

To spend specifically to @1Louder:
1) we don't have a strict budget. We will pay for whatever we will regularly use. That said, I'd rather not have to pay $50K for a camping trailer...
1a) 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser. Max towing 5000 lbs, but would like to try and stay well south of that.
2) Going along with #1, we don't want to limit ourselves and want to get the trailer we will use the most. When I said simple, I really meant just a storage tube with an RTT on it as compared to the Conquerer, which has a mini-bar. The Turtbleback Expedition caught my eye as possibly the best of both worlds. Fully-featured, but not insanely equipped.
3) it's hard to find rentals for trailers, but I've been looking and I'm open to that.
4) we don't do rock crawling, but we want the trailer to be able to go everywhere the cruiser can go.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

We are leaning heavily towards checking out the offerings at the expo and going from there. The downside is that we really want one for our trip at the end of June, as that will be the longest we've ever been camping and it would be great to not get the car all crammed up! I am going to return Turtleback's call today just to get an idea of what we're looking at price-wise from them.

To spend specifically to @1Louder:
1) we don't have a strict budget. We will pay for whatever we will regularly use. That said, I'd rather not have to pay $50K for a camping trailer...
1a) 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser. Max towing 5000 lbs, but would like to try and stay well south of that.
2) Going along with #1, we don't want to limit ourselves and want to get the trailer we will use the most. When I said simple, I really meant just a storage tube with an RTT on it as compared to the Conquerer, which has a mini-bar. The Turtbleback Expedition caught my eye as possibly the best of both worlds. Fully-featured, but not insanely equipped.
3) it's hard to find rentals for trailers, but I've been looking and I'm open to that.
4) we don't do rock crawling, but we want the trailer to be able to go everywhere the cruiser can go.
This is the article I read that has me convinced that the VRV is probably the best middle ground for me.
https://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/vrv-flyer-teardrop-introduction/

Reactions: 1Louder

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

@OBiE0311 I'll be going to the Expo as well and my main reason is to look at all the different trailers. I want to see how close any of them come what I have in mind as my preferred layout. I also want to get some ideas in case I decide to build my own.

If you guys were going on the CO meet & greet camping trip this Sat, we could talk trailers then as well.

I'll shoot you a direct message about some trail rental options since I did that for my Death Valley trip last month.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@OBiE0311 -

I LOVE my XVenture XV-2 for it's rugged versatility and capability. I can use it as a super platform for my Roofnest Eagle (hardshell RTT) and big wrap-around Bundutec awning as well as use the 1 ton cargo capacity and power center and water heater for everything from base-camping to off-grid home-building projects.

Has:
-an armored and baffled 22 gal water tank underneath, directly over the axle which helps keep low center of gravity
- hot/cold water hookups at one rear corner for sink and faucet and mixed hot/cold at opposite front corner for shower hookup, with on-demand propane-fired water heater. All works like a charm.
- rack for RTT that lowers for over-the-road travel and raises for camping
- hard rolling tonneau cover or hard folding cover to cover cargo area
- built in rock lights, cargo lights, and rack lighting
- rugged galley table with sink cutout (for removable tub) that easily and quickly attaches to the side of the trailer. This is my fav feature, in many ways, as I love cooking in camp. This galley setup makes it super easy.
- double aluminum wall in trailer, all aluminum and huck-bolted frame, all to military spec. The mfg of this trailer has made over 55,000 trailers for govts and militaries around the world. It will outlast me, my kid, and her kid and still be going strong.
- power center with 110 in/out, solar input, and options of deep-cycles, charge controllers, inverter, air compressor, etc.

I could go on and on, really. It's simply the most versatile and rugged trailer I could find after researching for quite a long time. Can't afford a trailer just dedicated to camping only, then have to have something else for all the other off-grid stuff I like to do.

If that's one of the styles of trailer you're thinking about, there are several dealers around the country that may have one ready to go, or you can contact Tim at Schutt Industries directly via their site to see which one of the trailers he has ready might fit your needs. If I can answer any questions about it, let me know.

It is the single best investment in gear and tools I have ever made.

xv2-allpackedup-IMG_2217.JPG

xv2-cargo_IMG_1817.JPG

xv2-gearlaidout_IMG_2223.JPG

roaddude_xv2-galley_bigbend-0802.jpg

PowerCtr_9429.JPG

smokymtncampIMG_3215.JPG

xv2-litup-nortt-800.jpg

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
@OBiE0311 -

I LOVE my XVenture XV-2 for it's rugged versatility and capability. I can use it as a super platform for my Roofnest Eagle (hardshell RTT) and big wrap-around Bundutec awning as well as use the 1 ton cargo capacity and power center and water heater for everything from base-camping to off-grid home-building projects.

Has:
-an armored and baffled 22 gal water tank underneath, directly over the axle which helps keep low center of gravity
- hot/cold water hookups at one rear corner for sink and faucet and mixed hot/cold at opposite front corner for shower hookup, with on-demand propane-fired water heater. All works like a charm.
- rack for RTT that lowers for over-the-road travel and raises for camping
- hard rolling tonneau cover or hard folding cover to cover cargo area
- built in rock lights, cargo lights, and rack lighting
- rugged galley table with sink cutout (for removable tub) that easily and quickly attaches to the side of the trailer. This is my fav feature, in many ways, as I love cooking in camp. This galley setup makes it super easy.
- double aluminum wall in trailer, all aluminum and huck-bolted frame, all to military spec. The mfg of this trailer has made over 55,000 trailers for govts and militaries around the world. It will outlast me, my kid, and her kid and still be going strong.
- power center with 110 in/out, solar input, and options of deep-cycles, charge controllers, inverter, air compressor, etc.

I could go on and on, really. It's simply the most versatile and rugged trailer I could find after researching for quite a long time. Can't afford a trailer just dedicated to camping only, then have to have something else for all the other off-grid stuff I like to do.

If that's one of the styles of trailer you're thinking about, there are several dealers around the country that may have one ready to go, or you can contact Tim at Schutt Industries directly via their site to see which one of the trailers he has ready might fit your needs. If I can answer any questions about it, let me know.

It is the single best investment in gear and tools I have ever made.

View attachment 54954

View attachment 54955

View attachment 54957

View attachment 54960

View attachment 54959

View attachment 54956

View attachment 54958
Show off! ;-) its awesome

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Show off! ;-) its awesome
Ha!

Actually, I'm kind of proud of the thing and what I've added to make it work for my style of doing things. I'll talk it up to anyone who'll listen!

It's been a conscious decision to invest in this type of setup rather than a fixed place to retire to. A hell of a lot cheaper, too, and no property taxes. Lots of places around the country to stay for free or very inexpensively, even for extended stays.

I like knowing I can use this setup for my kid's family should there be a natural disaster and they lose their home, or that I can go anywhere on the continent and set up a base camp for workshops and invite people to come stay.

I'll be out your way sooner or later; then we can go camping somewhere. Sending you PM later, btw.

Stay mobile, my friends!

Road

Reactions: GeoYota

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Ha!

Actually, I'm kind of proud of the thing and what I've added to make it work for my style of doing things. I'll talk it up to anyone who'll listen!

It's been a conscious decision to invest in this type of setup rather than a fixed place to retire to. A hell of a lot cheaper, too, and no property taxes. Lots of places around the country to stay for free or very inexpensively, even for extended stays.

I like knowing I can use this setup for my kid's family should there be a natural disaster and they lose their home, or that I can go anywhere on the continent and set up a base camp for workshops and invite people to come stay.

I'll be out your way sooner or later; then we can go camping somewhere. Sending you PM later, btw.

Stay mobile, my friends!
It may take awhile to get back to you I'm busy at work. I have some more info for you also.

Reactions: Road

GeoYota

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Escondido, CA
Member #

Ha!

Stay mobile, my friends!
Great quote!

To the OP @OBiE0311 ...my wife and I searched for a looong time for our first trailer, and the only advice I can offer is to be as patient as you can and take copious notes each time you venture out as to how the +/- of the trip would be affected by trailer choice.

This was also the genesis of many a campfire chat over beers and fajitas, and stove top brews of morning coffee and oatmeal.

Truly consider the type of camping you enjoy the most (remote vs. campground/tent vs. enclosed) as that was what really shaped our purchasing decision.

Good luck, we will be at Expo West as well, taking lots of photos and scooping on as many trailer ideas as possible...looking forward to seeing which unit and platform you choose!

@Road ...that set up is drool-worthy, love the pack out shot!!

Reactions: Road

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

There are plenty of videos on the Turtleback including Sweller Runners lengthy video walkthrough of his 2018. He used to own a 2015 I believe as well.

Check outdoorsy.com for rentals or even Craigslist. Here are some examples:

https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/lakewood_co/2016_hiker_deluxe_46212-listing

https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/denver_co/2017_luxury-offroad-rentals_deluxe-trailer_21032-listing

https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/golden_co/2017_alpine_other_32749-listing

https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/las-vegas_nv/2016_hiker-trailer_mid-range_33633-listing

The Turtleback will go wherever you want it to. Next time I get into some challenging spots with my VRV I will take the time to take photos. I have taken it down a few "waterfalls" where we had to stack rocks and taken it over some challenging terrain and it has done fine.

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
To add to your confusion I just came across this brand. Looks pretty cool for a tent trailer. They are very heavy though 3000lb plus. IMHO that requires a V8 to pull.

http://blackseriescamper.com

They will be at the Expo....

I did some research and I believe these are built in China. Not something I would want but everyone can do their own research. Plenty of info out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeoYota

GeoYota

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Escondido, CA
Member #

Reactions: Anchor Mtn

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Wow. There are SO MANY TRAILER MANUFACTURERS.....

I'll admit, I hadn't really gone into lengthy consideration of a tear drop. When my wife and I were first considering a regular 'ol camper several years ago, the T@b trailers where what we were looking at. The issue we ran into with camping was a lack of storage space in the tear drop trailers, but that VRV has what appears to be plenty! I will have to give them a hard look!

@1Louder , thanks for the listings! I hadn't seen that website before but I will be giving them a hard look!

Thanks for the responses guys!

Reactions: GeoYota and 1Louder