Help Picking a Second Vehicle

• HTML tutorial

Advocate II

So we have been driving my moms car as a second vehicle since she had her stroke and is unable to drive it. My stepdad is asking to get the car back to transport his dog since he can't get the dog to jump into his explorer. So my question is what should we get as a second vehicle, again current one is my WJ? We would love to get a Outback but I know that isn't going to happen at that price. Would be looking at probably no more than say $12,000 for price.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I have a very reliable Chevy Avalanche I can sell you for about half of what your looking to spend. Well, it's my wifes. But we want to sell it since we have three vehicles. Otherwise, me personally, I'd love to get my hands on an older Jeep Liberty KJ. Just saw one the other day off Kimberly Rd for sale in a driveway for $3500. Wish I had the funds to buy it. Would have loved to get it for my daughter to have someday.

Rodtheviking

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Honda CRV (second gen) 2002-2006
and I know some people hate them but the Element AWD.

We had a 2009 Pontiac Vibe AWD (Toyota Matrix) and loved it. Traded it in on a 2015 KIA Sportage with all the bells and whistles.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

What is the primary way the vehicle will be used?
What type of vehicle are you looking for?

I mean, just putting a price cap of $12K leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

John Galt

Rank III

Advocate II

Bend, OR
I have never really been a Jeep fan but my wife drove a 2002 kc for quite a few years. Was actually a really great vehicle. We bought it in 2007 for $8500 and sold it in 2015 for $5800. Definitely got our money out of it. Of course I lifted it, put bumpers on it, armor, etc... Had the manual 5 speed transmission which was awesome.

If you would rather have a car I would go with a Subaru. We just bought a new Forester Touring and live it. I'm sure you can find one in your price range.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

The Gen 2 XTerra is well under your price range and leaves a lot of money for mods or a trip. A Suzuki might also walk that line between in town practicality and off road ability.

Advocate II

I have considered a Jeep Liberty, and would love a Subie but you can't find many used Subies around here. People buy em and keep em. The Xterra has also crossed my mind seen some pretty nice ones online could be fun to build.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Wow, 300K is getting up there, even for an 80 series. I would make sure the head gasket isn't leaking, that's a common problem. Also check the diff fluids fro signs of axle grease and the hubs for diff oil. With that mileage, the axle seals will have likely worn a groove in the half-shafts and allowed the heavy axle grease and lighter gear oil to mix. The fix involves new axle shafts and axles seals.

The '97 is promising, but you will need to budget for an aftermarket bumper. I suspect it was crashed since the bumper is missing, the hood doesn't match, the grill isn't fitting properly and was rattle-canned, the headlights and turn signals are eBay Chinesium junk, and it just had a radiator put in. I would inspect it for hidden damage. Also, who does all that and still didn't notice that it is an inline 6 and not a V6? It may be a clean title because the wreck was done in the back yard and never reported to insurance.

That last one I would avoid. Smoking from the engine? I bet the guy got it on a whim and realized there is something seriously wrong that he doesn't want to sink money into. Judging by that monstrosity of a bumper, someone probably was screwing around and didn't know what they were doing.

John Galt

Rank III

Advocate II

Bend, OR
Wow, 300K is getting up there, even for an 80 series. I would make sure the head gasket isn't leaking, that's a common problem. Also check the diff fluids fro signs of axle grease and the hubs for diff oil. With that mileage, the axle seals will have likely worn a groove in the half-shafts and allowed the heavy axle grease and lighter gear oil to mix. The fix involves new axle shafts and axles seals.

The '97 is promising, but you will need to budget for an aftermarket bumper. I suspect it was crashed since the bumper is missing, the hood doesn't match, the grill isn't fitting properly and was rattle-canned, the headlights and turn signals are eBay Chinesium junk, and it just had a radiator put in. I would inspect it for hidden damage. Also, who does all that and still didn't notice that it is an inline 6 and not a V6? It may be a clean title because the wreck was done in the back yard and never reported to insurance.

That last one I would avoid. Smoking from the engine? I bet the guy got it on a whim and realized there is something seriously wrong that he doesn't want to sink money into. Judging by that monstrosity of a bumper, someone probably was screwing around and didn't know what they were doing.
You could get a good 80 series for less than your budget if you look. I got my '95 unlocked, unmolested, no rust, and brand new tires for $4000. Had 216,000 miles. Tested the block and the head gasket was still good. Was it perfect? Nope, but I would have drove it across the country the day I picked it up. If you are gonna do a cruiser I would definitely come out to the west/southwest to get it. But def plenty of them available.

Reactions: NorthStar96