Help needed on an electrical issue

• HTML tutorial

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I bought a flood/spot light that is combined in one lamp.

There are three wires
1. Ground.
2. Spot positive
3. Flood positive

It looks like the device was rewired as the colours are the European colours for a house.
Brown= neutral
Blue= live
Green/yellow = earth

The device is not hooked up yet.
I need to identify the two powers and ground. I think I can use a MM and do a beep test to find the ground. Touch the Body of device and go through the wires until it beeps.

But is there a way to identify the spot / flood wires without wiring it up?

If I do not get a beep from the wires as the body may not be earthed.
How can I find the ground?

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Using the beeper on a meter wont net the results youre looking for, you will want to measure resistance. Light bulbs are essentially wire coils and as such can have a great deal of resistance. Using the beeper is good for testing regular wire to see if you have a broken wire, or a corroded connection, or to simply locate the other end of a wire. Continuity beepers are used to verify very low resistance in an electrical circuit. Using the resistance setting will tell you the ohms in a circuit. Ohms are a measurement that tells you essentially how much power a given component needs to function.
You can then use that number and divide your volts by it and get the amps the circuit will draw (Amps= volts / resistance). Then multiply that by the voltage again and you will get watts. If you know how many watts each bulb is you can determine which is which with some math as described above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fozzy325 and Jedi