Joe
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GRMS - WROW248
Service Branch
US Army
I purchased a Smittybilt Scout Trailer in 2020. I have finally finished attaching my exterior boxes and now need to run wiring throughout the trailer for the fridge, lights, 12v, etc., and my concern is: how do I maintain water tight compartments but needing to drill between the attached boxes and main trailer box. I do not wish to run my wires underneath my trailer as I feel an off road trailer exposes those wire to many hazards. Just looking for suggestions and ideas. I have, but not installed in the front box, 2 x 100ah lithium batteries, NOCO charger, REDARC 12v BCBC charger, and solar.

Please recommend options. In need of help.

Attachments

Silver Rover

Rank V

Member III

Montgomery, Texas, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

I purchased a Smittybilt Scout Trailer in 2020. I have finally finished attaching my exterior boxes and now need to run wiring throughout the trailer for the fridge, lights, 12v, etc., and my concernI is: how do I maintain water tight compartments but needing to drill between the attached boxes and main trailer box. I do not wish to run my wires underneath my trailer as I feel an off road trailer exposes those wire to many hazards. Just looking for suggestions and ideas. I have, but not installed in the front box, 2 x 100ah lithium batteries, NOCO charger, REDARC 12v BCBC charger, and solar.

Please recommend options. In need of help.
You can purchase waterproof wiring connectors and if needed flexible conduit at Lowes or Home depot

Silver Rover

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

You can purchase waterproof wiring connectors and if needed flexible conduit at Lowes or Home depot
How would you drill through trailer walls?
How thick are they? Less than 1/4 inch I would use a step drill bit & a electric drill, both available at Lowes or Home Depot or Harbor freight

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Are your boxes bolted up tight to each other with no gap between them? there are watertight bulkhead fittings designed to allow wires to exit to the exterior of an enclosure, but they are expensive and hard to feed additional wire thru later, if you are just going box to box you only need to seal the water from getting into the box, the passage thru can remain open, perhaps you could use a threaded metal conduit nipple with gasketed nuts each side, if the boxes have a gap you may have trouble keeping the nuts tight and sealed as thingsf flex. Make sure to protect the wires from sharp edges.

1666910947618.png1666910992808.png

Silver Rover

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Are your boxes bolted up tight to each other with no gap between them? there are watertight bulkhead fittings designed to allow wires to exit to the exterior of an enclosure, but they are expensive and hard to feed additional wire thru later, if you are just going box to box you only need to seal the water from getting into the box, the passage thru can remain open, perhaps you could use a threaded metal conduit nipple with gasketed nuts each side, if the boxes have a gap you may have trouble keeping the nuts tight and sealed as thingsf flex. Make sure to protect the wires from sharp edges.

View attachment 243541View attachment 243542
And a bead of silicone

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I have also used iron pipe flanges in each compartment thru bolted to each other with a rubber gasket slipped thru the hole and placed between the faces of the two boxes, the four bolts seem to do a good job of keeping the boxes pressed against each other sandwiching the gasket. good variety of sizes too.

wardj69

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fayetteville, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GRMS - WROW248
Service Branch
US Army
Thanks for the pic. I was looking at marine bulk head items but was not sure what would be best.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I would use a marine grade cable seal - plenty of options available from West Marine. They are made to pass wires through boat decks and roofs in an ocean environment. Search for "cable seal" and "cable clam".

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I used the following to wire my trailer. I have enough gap to put one on both sides with some wire exposed for flexibility. I did add a bit of silicon to help.

Reactions: smritte

wardj69

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fayetteville, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GRMS - WROW248
Service Branch
US Army

View attachment 243541View attachment 243542
Thanks for the suggestion - looks like it will work.

Reactions: Mtnmn99

wardj69

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fayetteville, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GRMS - WROW248
Service Branch
US Army
I would use a marine grade cable seal - plenty of options available from West Marine. They are made to pass wires through boat decks and roofs in an ocean environment. Search for "cable seal" and "cable clam".
I will surely use marine grade products. Trying to keep everything watertight.