Help me understand auxiliary electrical systems...

• HTML tutorial

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
I do in fact have a 100 amp alternator, currently. I've found a manufacturer that makes them all the way up to 240 amps. That's probably overkill for my needs. 200 is probably overkill as well, but I don't want to have to buy a third alternator if I decide to add a second battery.

I 100% agree with you here. Fortunately, I have not touched my stock electrical system. My radios run of a 12v splitter that also charges my phone, which is plugged into the accessory port on my dash. That's the extent of my modifications so far. Anything I add past that will be on a secondary system.

I guess the question now is what's the best way to hook up and charge a secondary battery? Isolator, DC to DC, or directly off the alternator?
Everything I have read says DC to DC is the way to go these days. They are “Smart” chargers usually, which means they automatically detect and adjust the charge according to what is going to top up your secondary battery the most effectively; though I will say that with a caveat, I’m just learning about these systems and I may have oversimplified it a bit here. I plan on using a CTEK device in my rig as they are a fair bit cheaper than the Redarc systems, and although they provide fewer features, they have a lot of Overland miles on them with “good enough” results. However, my style is also not managing my electrical needs down to the nearest 0.5 amp hour, as some do (which is great as they have taught me a lot). My auxiliary power needs are pretty simple — a bit of lighting, charging batteries on cameras and radios, and the fridge. We bought way more battery than we need for this to allow us to sit for several days without turning the car on, but the worst thing that happens to us is the fridge beeps a warning and shuts down, and then we know to charge it up. And even if we don’t and our fridge goes warm, we might lose ~$30 worth of groceries as a worst case scenario, and we always have dried foods to get by with. In other words, our worst-case scenario isn’t bad enough to justify the energy, effort, and resources into a fancier system.

We also plan to wire in a battery maintainer that can be plugged into shore power for when we are at home; it gets very cold in the winter here which can dramatically impact battery performance so we are going to try to plug in the maintainer next to the block heater and see how that works for a winter season.

If you are depending on your dual battery for a CPAP machine, a fridge for Insulin, etc. Then our approach may not be acceptable and you might want to spend the extra money on more robust monitoring and control like the REDARC systems.

However, the overall takeaway is that these DC to DC charging systems are the simplest to install and use, and at only about $250, won’t break the bank. Even a “cheap” solenoid system will be 1/2 that cost before you include your time to get it working right, so I think the DC to DC is the way to go.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
One more thing I just thought of; OP I’m sure you know this already but others stumbling upon the thread doing research of their own might not so I figured I’d post up.

Be conscious of how and where you run wires. You should consider all of the following:

- Rubber grommets anywhere the wires have to pass through a bulkhead or panel
- Heat. Will the wires be running in the engine bay? Near coolant hoses? Exhaust manifolds? Make sure that your wires are VERY well insulated/protected if they are in a heat environment.
- Abrasion - tie down your wires very regularly. Frequent tie-downs can help prevent abrasion. Even a fraction of an inch of movement will eventually wear through if not protected properly, so tie them down/secure them AND make sure you use some sort of protectant shield around the wires too.
- Pinching - I’ve seen folks run wires out of necessity in places that could be pinch points. A common one is running a switch into the door panel; it’s easy for a wire to get pinched in the hinge or door jamb. The other area that a lot of people don’t consider pinching is under the carpet in the cab, or under the vehicle. A lot of folks will run wire from fore to aft by going through the cab under the carpet, but those wires are soon forgotten and a few trips worth of jumping in or out, or loading heavy gear means those wires can be damaged. The other one I’ve seen less frequently is people running wires along the frame. Again, with road debris, sticks, etc. There’s a high likelihood of pinching or severing the wires. Wherever you choose to run wires, make sure they are well routed to avoid pinching, abrasion, heat, and where necessary use armour and grommets to make sure those wires stay protected.

Reactions: JimInBC and Road

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Both very good points.

I'm going to try a DC battery pack specifically for my cpap. I've already got it in my shopping cart, so we'll see how that goes.

As far as protecting wires, this is great advise. I ran my uhf antenna cable under the carpet, and used gaff tape to tape it down. It also runs under the seat, and along the transmission hump, before come up, so I'm not worried about it getting stepped on or anything. That being said, I'll be sure to pick up some heat looms and other protection to keep additional wires in the engine bay nice and safe.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm going to try a DC battery pack specifically for my cpap. I've already got it in my shopping cart, so we'll see how that goes.
Very good idea

As far as protecting wires, this is great advise
You would be amazed how many vehicles I've dealt with that burned because the wiring wasn't properly routed or protected.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
You would be amazed how many vehicles I've dealt with that burned because the wiring wasn't properly routed or protected.
Yeah, I only want to do this once, so properly protecting the wiring is something I want to take the time to do right the first time.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
There are many types of wire out there for different applications. If you do a little reading you can find just the wire you need for the job.

Here's some of the wire available from a place I get most of my electrical components.

Reactions: smritte