Help me understand all the different farkles mounted to your dash.

• HTML tutorial

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I have my TRX7 GPS mounted above my Pioneer deck. I doesn't block any of my view of the trail from my seated position. What you can't see in the main pic is the Scangauge II, CB and Ham handheld.

trxljmntsm.jpg
scangaugeIIsm.jpg

Abreu93

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Berwick, PA, USA
First Name
Erickson
Last Name
Abreu
At the moment I don’t have all the fancy bells and whistles that some guys have on their dashboards. I recently attached a RAM mount to the A-pillar of my 2nd gen Tacoma. It’s very sturdy and I like that it’s not blocking my A/C vents, radio, view, etc. I just put my iPhone in and turn it long ways for navigation and leave it straight up and down when I’m just using it to hold the phone. Later down the road I might invest in an iPad or some other tablet to navigate with

View attachment 110335
how do you have that attached to the column trim panel? iam very curious

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

how do you have that attached to the column trim panel? iam very curious
i removed the cap that covers access to the lower bolt on the handle on the pillar. Then I removed the bolt and replaced it with a longer one (30mm maybe, I don’t remember for certain). The bolt has to be an Allen head bolt so that it will go through one of the Ram mount balls that you can order online. I believe I found something about it on TacomaWorld’s forum where the guy listed all the parts he used. But it definitely comes in handy on road trips where you’re using the GPS. I don’t like the mounts that block my view/access to my stereo or heating and air controls.

Loanrangie

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Melboure,Victoria, Australia
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Robertshaw
I like gadgets but dont like clutter, main addition was a 7" Eonon android head unit which has IGO Nextgen for street nav and music loaded onto the 32gig internal storage.
A remote head GME 40ch UHF CB with head mounted under the climate controls and base tucked into the kick panel trim with external zip tied under the driver seat.
I also use a Nexus7 tablet with OZI Explorer that have loaded with off road maps held in place by a crappy bracket i made that wedges into the dash top, although i did just buy another 7"monitor to mount up top that has dual AV inputs that my head unit outputs to plus a waterproof camera that i'll mount low on the bull bar so i can see what i'm driving over.
IMG_20190301_141745.jpgIMG_20190609_164744.jpg

Reactions: Staticline40

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hmmm, Farkle, interesting term. I'm way ahead of the the tech curve guys. 10 or 12 maps fit perfectly in an old Craftsman OBD zippered case. The rest of the maps are stowed in the hatch, or left at home, depending of course on where we are headed. I do have an Iphone 6. Off grid it's useless except if we want to interrupt the serenity and listen to music, which is very rare. Come to think of it, I don't think we have ever done that. Over the years I have found the Steelie mount to be the easiest and most reliable mount ever. (KISS methodology) Even in the rough world of 18 wheelers my phone never bounced free. It's never bounced off 4 wheelin either. So, I have an iphone mounted on a steelieand paper maps. We've never been seriously misplaced just keep driving, you'll find a mapped and named landmark soon enough. You know, mountain, butte, river, forest road sign, etc. Does the steel ball count as "farkle"?

IMG_4138.JPGdownload.jpgimages.jpg

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Hmmm, Farkle, interesting term. I'm way ahead of the the tech curve guys. 10 or 12 maps fit perfectly in an old Craftsman OBD zippered case. The rest of the maps are stowed in the hatch, or left at home, depending of course on where we are headed.

We've never been seriously misplaced just keep driving, you'll find a mapped and named landmark soon enough. You know, mountain, butte, river, forest road sign, etc. Does the steel ball count as "farkle"?

View attachment 138393View attachment 138394View attachment 138395
I like the way you think, like you cell reception around here is faint or non-existent and I know of a lot of places with no GPS at all.

I have a lot of maps and a couple of compasses in my rig when I go out.

You are missing one thing though, where is your Spork?

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I like the way you think, like you cell reception around here is faint or non-existent and I know of a lot of places with no GPS at all.

I have a lot of maps and a couple of compasses in my rig when I go out.

You are missing one thing though, where is your Spork?
Sorry, neglected to mention compasses, at least two. Spork? It’s in my backpack where it belongs

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Loanrangie

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Melboure,Victoria, Australia
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Robertshaw
No GPS signal ? cell reception here is non existent if you travel away from a major highway but always have GPS signal unless you go into a tunnel/cave.
Even in heavy bush i can get GPS reception.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
where do you go where you don’t have a view of the sky? But yes, maps and compasses (always carry 2), is a must have nav tool also a dieing art.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
where do you go where you don’t have a view of the sky? But yes, maps and compasses (always carry 2), is a must have nav tool also a dieing art.
You can see the sky for the most part but there are quite a few spots that GPS just doesn't or isn't reliable.

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose