Help me think about this

• HTML tutorial

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I have been thinking of a more economical 4x4 for my outdoor activities. Having the superduty (16mpg) and the bronco (6....mpg)

Ive been strongly considering the Ford sport trac pickups. I can slide in a D44 from a jeep TJ rubicon, or mabe a D44HP from an early bronco up front of the IFS proves problematic. But i think it would be ok??

Anyone care to brainstorm with me?... am i crazy or sumthin? Lol

uploadfromtaptalk1453893085942.jpeg

Vs

uploadfromtaptalk1453893160439.jpg (googled image)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I could see the sport trac being a good overland rig when setup right. My wife had one a number of years ago and she really liked it.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

i have been lookin into it alot. i really like them.

being a Ford person it really is one of the top options for this kind of thing. I am a hammock person anyways, a rooftop tent one day maybe... but for now i like the Hammock. let trouble less space and it can rain if it wants lol leaving more room for fuel, water, food, gear of all kinds.

the bed on the sport trac is bigger than the storage area behind the seat of the bronco... and with the arrival of my little boy a back seat is a big deal.

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Before I got mine, I thought I would never recommend anything but a Ford, as I'm an old FS Bronco guy too..

But ill tell ya, you would be amazed at the capabilities of an FZJ80 Land Cruiser. Gas mileage is about 12-16 for stock. unbelievable 4x4 capability, and you can mod them many different ways. its like they were build for RTT's. did I mention reliability?
Im not bashing any other brand rigs, just recommending these.

There are lots of used FZJ80's around and you can snag one for a pretty good price. Ask our administrator leader if he likes his. I know I LOVE mine!

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

The Sport Trac is great. I couldn't find any reasonably priced ones during my search. So I "settled" for a Trooper. Except after I got it, I realized i didn't settle. This thing is great. The only issue is the auto trans. If you see a trooper with a manual trans, buy it. But if you find a sport trac, buy it too. lol.

You're not crazy for wanting something more economical. It's nice to fill up once when my fellow drivers fill up twice.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Before I got mine, I thought I would never recommend anything but a Ford, as I'm an old FS Bronco guy too..

But ill tell ya, you would be amazed at the capabilities of an FZJ80 Land Cruiser. Gas mileage is about 12-16 for stock. unbelievable 4x4 capability, and you can mod them many different ways. its like they were build for RTT's. did I mention reliability?
Im not bashing any other brand rigs, just recommending these.

There are lots of used FZJ80's around and you can snag one for a pretty good price. Ask our administrator leader if he likes his. I know I LOVE mine!
this is appealing. i dont think i want to "fit in" lol yeah toyota is popular with overlanding i get that.... i really wanna try and keep with the oval if i can. ... but... money talks right!?

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

IFS isn't that big of a blocker honestly. I'm running ~32" tires on my Tacoma and have yet to require the "winch line" over an obstacle, sure I've taken the easier line a few times. And unlike a SFA truck, the IFS is a lot nicer to drive down the interstate for thousands of miles.

The FJ-80 Land Cruiser is a fanstastic truck though. Small lift (2.5") and 37" tires fit...... Lockers front and rear.... Goes everywhere, and is a Toyota.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

IFS isn't that big of a blocker honestly.
That is one thing I love about my truck, taking it all the places everyone with a solid axle say I can't go with IFS.

I run 35s with stock suspension (just lifted it) and locked front/rear, have pulled cable more than a few times. If you have never pulled cable you aren't pushing your truck enough :grinning:

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Although I'm a died in the wool Toyota guy, and almost anti-Ford, (please don't be offended!) the sport-trac appeals to my utilitarian side. It's more comfortable than a truck, roomy with a decent powertrain. However the bed is almost useless and I don't think there's much aftermarket support for it. Uniqueness is a big consideration as well, I think. If you dig it, do it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rooster_sauce

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Durability and reliability are extremely important when selecting a overlanding rig. Which do you have more faith in, your Bronco and the heavy built monster, or the newer, more flexible sport-trac? Both are good options, for me, reliability is most important.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Durability and reliability are extremely important when selecting a overlanding rig. Which do you have more faith in, your Bronco and the heavy built monster, or the newer, more flexible sport-trac? Both are good options, for me, reliability is most important.
I like my bronco because computers are not problem. A few spare parts and a good set of tools, and im good to go.

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

The Sport-Trac may not be so easy since it is more electronic, but that being said, since it is newer it also may require less repairs and up-keep.

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I have been thinking of a more economical 4x4 for my outdoor activities. Having the superduty (16mpg) and the bronco (6....mpg)

Ive been strongly considering the Ford sport trac pickups. I can slide in a D44 from a jeep TJ rubicon, or mabe a D44HP from an early bronco up front of the IFS proves problematic. But i think it would be ok??

Anyone care to brainstorm with me?... am i crazy or sumthin? Lol

View attachment 1730

Vs

View attachment 1731 (googled image)

Keep that beast! Like @stringtwelve said, gas prices will continue to drop, so I would say keep it. Or, maybe buy a sport trac and also keep the bronco. I never see broncos that clean and done up anymore...

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

IFS can be down right amazing.... (I was lifting my rig to change out a wheel, but it kept articulating until I was lifting my garage door with the roof rack... so I had to take another approach)