Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
I came across a small discretionary budget recently and I want to use to to better equip the rig before my sept DBBB trip.

Current setup:
2002 TJ
3” zone lift
32” Toyo AT2s

Needs:
Rancho rs5000x shocks $220

Wants:
Winch- Warn M8000 $630, VR8 $450, other brand?
Sway bar- Currie antirock $400, jks discos $125
Some type of air- haven’t looked much
No lift jack?

Any suggestions??

Reactions: Scrambler84

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I would not recommend the Rancho Shocks. I ran Ranchos for 25 years. I recently upgraded to Bilstein Shocks and the ride and performance is way better both on and off the road. After that, I recommend some good recovery points, a good tow strap, maybe a rear lunchbox locker. Spend the rest on wheeling and enjoying the rig.

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
I would not recommend the Rancho Shocks. I ran Ranchos for 25 years. I recently upgraded to Bilstein Shocks and the ride and performance is way better both on and off the road. After that, I recommend some good recovery points, a good tow strap, maybe a rear lunchbox locker. Spend the rest on wheeling and enjoying the rig.
I’m surprised to hear that about the ranchos. They came highly recommended over the bilsteins on another forum by some well respected vets. Was all your experiences on your XJ? Just wondering if that makes a difference.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Yes it was on my XJ. I am a tech Guru over on NAXJA and have years of experience and input from dozens of guys I have helped build rigs and wheeled with for decades and they all kept telling me the Rancho's were old tech (crap). I had run RS5000's as well as the adjustable RS9000's which I was fairly happy with, but I had not personally compared them to Bilstiens. One of my buddies talked me into switching over and I have never looked back. The seem to handle both the rocks and highways. They work way better on washboard roads as well.

I will look up the valving on the shocks I run.

Last edited:

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
If it is unexpected money that is not already accounted for in your build budget, convert it to prepaid fuel cards. $1100 in fuel later (305 gallons where I live, YMMV) you’ll know what your rig needs and won’t have to ask a bunch of strangers their opinion about how you should spend your money. That’s what I’d do anyway. You learn a whole lot in 3/4000 miles.

But, if I must take a stab at how you should spend it, I’d look into a jack, recovery points a good strap or two, tree saver, a couple of shackles, etc. You can, albeit slowly, do a lot of what a winch can do with a good Hi-Lift much easier than changing a tire with a winch. You’ll need the strap, recovery points, tree strap, etc with the winch anyway.

Good luck. Post a pic or two of your treasures.

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
Well I appreciate all the feedback and I guess I should have been more detailed in my initial post. My Jeep has metalcloak bumpers front/rear with recovery points and I have the majority of the recovery equipment mentioned above. I do like the fuel card idea to polish off any left over funds. What I was hoping to accomplish was some input from the Jeep crowd as regarding the winch/disco mods and which option I’d be more satisfied with. For example, if I get the warn VR and the antirock will I kick myself in the ass for not getting the m8/jks.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I agree with Old_Man on the Bilsteins. the 5100s have a great ride on and off road. As far as the winch goes, the Warn VR series has moved to offshore production. I believe the M series is still built in the USA. I would go with synthetic line regardless of the winch you go with. For what it's worth, I was gifted a Smittybilt X2O winch a few years ago. I am not a big fan of Smittybilt but the winch is damn nice. I think their synthetic line could be better, but it hasn't broken yet. Best of luck with your choices. Oh, you mentioned some type of air. I have had the ARB twin air sitting in my cart for a few weeks now. LOL

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

When you say some type of air, are you talking to air up your tires? If so that is the thing to do first. There is a thread here on building a CO2 setup, then get a small compressor for backup. I wish I would have got that sooner it makes a big difference on ride.

Todd

Haminacan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia City, Indiana
First Name
First
Last Name
Lastname
Member #

I have had 2 Harbor Freight winches and never a problem until the Smittybilt XRC 9500. That winch was broken every 3rd time I tried to use it. A TJ from ohio, I would get a welder, to fix the rusted frame. The last TJ I had looked good, but the frame rusted under the transfer case skid plate. I had to use ratchet straps to hold it up to get home. It had a zone 3" lift and would flex as good as my friend with a RE superflex$$$...He was not happy about that. I am very happy with my Viair 88p.
$65.99 on amazon right now.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yes it was on my XJ. I am a tech Guru over on NAXJA and have years of experience and input from dozens of guys I have helped build rigs and wheeled with for decades and they all kept telling me the Rancho's were old tech (crap). I had run RS5000's as well as the adjustable RS9000's which I was fairly happy with, but I had not personally compared them to Bilstiens. One of my buddies talked me into switching over and I have never looked back. The seem to handle both the rocks and highways. They work way better on washboard roads as well.

I will look up the valving on the shocks I run.
Dustin, you couldn't get better advise from any other OB member. Old _ Man is my guide to good wheeling. I'd trust anything he says.
Lanlubber Jim

Reactions: old_man and rho

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
I have had 2 Harbor Freight winches and never a problem until the Smittybilt XRC 9500. That winch was broken every 3rd time I tried to use it. A TJ from ohio, I would get a welder, to fix the rusted frame. The last TJ I had looked good, but the frame rusted under the transfer case skid plate. I had to use ratchet straps to hold it up to get home. It had a zone 3" lift and would flex as good as my friend with a RE superflex$$$...He was not happy about that. I am very happy with my Viair 88p.
Knock on wood but so far my frame is mint. The previous owner brought it up from Georgia and stored it for the winter. I keep it in a heated garage all winter but man is it hard not to play in the snow! Ive seen a dozen reviews on the smittybuilts and the badlands and a couple other brands, just having a hard time believing the quality with the warranties they offer compared to warn. I’ll check out that viair, I’m pretty firm in my decision to stay around 33”s so that would probably suit all my needs for a long time.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

The XRC Gen 1 had problems. Gen 2 is better. I have seen many winches fail. Including Badlands, Warn and Mile Marker (electric). It is good to have a lifetime warranty. Better to have it never fail though. I know Warn and Smitty have lifetime warranties. I am not sure about others.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Look at the Bilsteins over Ranchos. I like Superwinch, I have used them for years now, used Warn before that both are good. I have used Viair for my air compressor. If you add the tank to the compressor it's very fast or just get the right one for you.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Look at the Bilsteins over Ranchos. I like Superwinch, I have used them for years now, used Warn before that both are good. I have used Viair for my air compressor. If you add the tank to the compressor it's very fast or just get the right one for you.
Superwinch is my favorite winch. They were recently bought by Westin Automotive. I am hoping they keep up the quality.

Reactions: MMc

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Dustin, you couldn't get better advise from any other OB member. Old _ Man is my guide to good wheeling. I'd trust anything he says.
Lanlubber Jim
This! I remember him from NAXJA and he's a solid source of advice. That said, bilstien shocks, some basic recovery gear like shackles, strap, recovery points and an air compressor to air back up. if you don't have sway bar discos I'd look into those too. Wouldn't worry about the antirock sway bar until you get to know the jeep better and what you can/can't do in it. maybe a lunchbox locker in the rear if you're feeling up to it, they're not a tough install and they work super well.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
This! I remember him from NAXJA and he's a solid source of advice. That said, bilstien shocks, some basic recovery gear like shackles, strap, recovery points and an air compressor to air back up. if you don't have sway bar discos I'd look into those too. Wouldn't worry about the antirock sway bar until you get to know the jeep better and what you can/can't do in it. maybe a lunchbox locker in the rear if you're feeling up to it, they're not a tough install and they work super well.
The sway bar is nice but way overkill on an overland rig....and pricey.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I like basics, all the other "stuff" will come as you grow, so to speak. My Land Rover Discovery 2 does not really need the lockers because of how it is built (select traction) but they would be good insurance even for a LRD2. Every thing else rho said is right on. I'm not familiar with antirock sway bar but I'd bet "Juliette" knows what she is talking about, though it may depend on your vehicle type. If you have anything left, just hang on "you aint seen nutten yet".
Lanlubber Jim