Help! Electrical Demon

• HTML tutorial

Fatguyinalittlejeep

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Avondale, AZ
Member #

Help! I’ve got an issue I truly didnt expect to have with a genesis dual battery install.

First the set up. 2016 JKUR. I have the dual battery kit running an optima red top for the cranking battery and a yellow top for the aux battery. I have an SPOD and the power lines for an ARB dual compressor, as the only non-factory items hooked to the dual battery kit. The spod is set with low voltage shut off turned on. Currently running off the spod I have a CB and a remote rear power line for an ARB fridge. The fridge is not plugged in currently.

The problem. I have noticed since the beginning of the year my spod would not turn on without the vehicle running for a few mins (low voltage shut off). I returned from two months out of town (I live in Phoenix, AZ) today to find that the Jeep is completely dead. I hit the link button to tie the batteries together, still nothing. Not even a dash light.

The questions
1) where can I jump the Jeep - any precautions for doing so with the dual battery and isolators? Can I just jumped to the cranking battery as normal? - This is a simple question that I should know the answer to and I am slightly embarrassed to ask it - but this is no time for ego.
2) where do I begin trouble shooting this thing? Is there something that could have failed that is preventing my batteries from isolating?
3) Am I wrong to have a red and yellow top installed together? I was told at Expo West that this configuration was fine, but have recently read that it will cause a power drain across the two batteries. Is this my overall problem?

I leave in 24 hours for a week in Utah. I need my stuff working. Any help our guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Fatguyinalittlejeep

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Avondale, AZ
Member #

Follow up.
Reached out to Shane at Genesis Off-road. He walked me through the system and helped me identify the problem as two dead batteries. The batteries were less than two years old and still covered by warranty. So I swapped them out and upgraded the red top to a yellow top which should be more stable for long term sitting as the Jeep will now be prone to due to work obligations. I will also be removing the aftermarket anti theft device installed by the dealership (without me asking) to decrease the draw that it may be causing and installing a battery tender for when she is parked.

Can’t say enough about the Shane and Genesis, I have always found him extremely prompt to help and get treated like his only customer.

Reactions: Boort

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Help! I’ve got an issue I truly didnt expect to have with a genesis dual battery install.

First the set up. 2016 JKUR. I have the dual battery kit running an optima red top for the cranking battery and a yellow top for the aux battery. I have an SPOD and the power lines for an ARB dual compressor, as the only non-factory items hooked to the dual battery kit. The spod is set with low voltage shut off turned on. Currently running off the spod I have a CB and a remote rear power line for an ARB fridge. The fridge is not plugged in currently.

The problem. I have noticed since the beginning of the year my spod would not turn on without the vehicle running for a few mins (low voltage shut off). I returned from two months out of town (I live in Phoenix, AZ) today to find that the Jeep is completely dead. I hit the link button to tie the batteries together, still nothing. Not even a dash light.

The questions
1) where can I jump the Jeep - any precautions for doing so with the dual battery and isolators? Can I just jumped to the cranking battery as normal? - This is a simple question that I should know the answer to and I am slightly embarrassed to ask it - but this is no time for ego.
2) where do I begin trouble shooting this thing? Is there something that could have failed that is preventing my batteries from isolating?
3) Am I wrong to have a red and yellow top installed together? I was told at Expo West that this configuration was fine, but have recently read that it will cause a power drain across the two batteries. Is this my overall problem?

I leave in 24 hours for a week in Utah. I need my stuff working. Any help our guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Yes you can jump the cranking battery just make sure that everything is turned off including the ignition switch! Let the charging vehicle run before hooking up the cables then then allow the charge vehicle to charge the battery before trying to attempt to crank your vehicle you you might want to get a a kill switch to cut the power off whenwhen you're not using your vehicle or if it says for long period of time

Reactions: Jorrie