Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Tan Valley, Pinal County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Malloy Sr.
Member #

Hello all, I'm pretty new to OB and never been one to really post on forums but I'm super excited to see there is a full size group in the community! I'm a long time outdoorsman, camper & hunter, I stumbled across overlanding about 4 years ago and have been hooked ever since. Most of which has been reseach and just exploring the community. Finally bit the bullet last year and decide to build out a rig. It's been slow going so far, made some exterior/interior mods but nothing drastic so far but before I go any further I want to start looking at suspension and mechanical upgrades. My rig is a 2013 crew cab Silverado with a 5.3l. I've 4 wheeled in stock 4x4's my whole life with no real issues but now I'm carrying alot of weight and it,s really starting to make a difference. My goal is to create a sort of hybrid rig as this is my daily driver as well. I'm not a rock crawler and I don't race the Baja. Just looking for tips on suspension (maybe just a leveling kit as I only want 31" tires) and good gears for the rear end without losing all my acceleration. The truck has pretty high mileage and I'll probably have to look into a new motor and trans at some point but I'm all in on this truck for my build. I will be posting more in the future alog qith some pics. Any advice would be appreciated. To add, I try to purchase and use as many domestic products as possible.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
The 5.3 motor is a good base and the truck will survive. (I think there is a song like that) When I built race cars I'd ask the customer where he'd like to be in 5 years with the car or truck. Almost the same thing here. Where do you want to go, how do you plan getting there, and how long do you want to stay. Those 3 questions will determine what suspension mods to do, how much water, food and electricity you need and how everyone is going to sleep, poop and have fun.
Answer that, get the funds and you'll be in the money so to speak.
Zim

Reactions: Mamalloy

Xdtitan

Rank V

Pathfinder III

For suspension you really can't beat bilsteins 5100 series shocks/struts price vs performance they are very reliable and the ride is great also have height adjusters built into the strut body pair them with a upper control arm to keep the angles happy. I've done several trucks now for myself and friends everyone has been very happy with the end result also surprised with how well the ride is.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I would look at changing out the read leafs with a Deaver progressive springs for you load. The progressive is more springs like 9 or 10 so when you are empty it ride great and when it's full you'll be sitting high and not dragging ass. While you are there replace the shocks with a top end brand, King, Fox, Icon, Bilsteins.
You might want to also consider a low gears for your diffs. You'll get a better low end performance and lose some MPG.

Mamalloy

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Tan Valley, Pinal County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Malloy Sr.
Member #

Thanks for the response guys. Wanted to post a reply sooner but the whole house came down with the VID over the holidays. Realized my typo on tire size in my last post, I want to run 33" not 31" either way that's why I was looking at a leveling kit because I don't need a big lift. I've always been a fan and had good luck with Bilstiens on previous trucks but I've really been eyeing Kings for the past year. I do want to beef up the front end and had been looking into uppers, etc. but as for the rear I was always apprehensive to go with a heavier leaf because of ride quality. But, over the past couple of months I've added alot more gear and since most of my it lives in my rig full time maybe it's time for a heavier leaf and gears because I'm really starting to feel the added weight.